Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Father-Daughter Build 2013-14

Postby lfrazer98 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:53 am

Thank you, Everyone! We have been working really hard, but had to take a break. Didn't meet my camping deadline and my father's mother had surgery so he is driving to NJ today. I am loving a little down time as the past month has been a whirlwind. Now for some photos, updates, and a couple questions for you. :)

As you can see it was very late when this picture was taken. I think it was about 11:30 PM Weds night. We got the sides glued and tacked on which was our goal for the evening. The finish looked ok, but I have some questions about it I will ask in a little bit.

Thursday- got the profile routered lights attached and starting work on other things.

The trailer is completely enclosed around the top. Hard to see with the sun, but we got it insulated and got the roof skin on. Hatch exterior is skinned and is awaiting electrical.

I put in the foot storage latch and you can see that my dad installed the overhead lighting. The center light (night light) is attached to the switch plate you will see in the next photo. There is a chase in the center and right cabinet for my interior and galley 12V and 120 outlets.

We installed 2 LED reading lamps (one on each side) and they are beautiful and rotate 360. Love them. They are also satin nickel with chrome trim so they match well. The light switch (with homemade maple switch plate) is connected to the center overhead light (which is a very dim "nightlight") so I can turn on a light easily in the middle of the night or upon entering and not get blinded. Got a tip from a fellow teardrop builder that his lights were overkill inside, so I went with less. What you see in these pictures are my only interior lights. I am happy with them. :)
You can also see my headboard cabinets to the left. Bought some magnet closures and they were installed today. No way they will open on the road. They are a little hard to open when I want to open them, but that is the point since I don't have latches. Didn't want to lean against any. I also have maple rails that will sit on top of the headboard, but they are inside drying.

Questions for my teardrop friends....

1. I used the spar urethane for my exterior. Applied 4 coats and one was thinned down to see if it would help with less bubbles, etc. I got streaky marks that had a slight milky look to them. YIKES! Sanded them well and applied another coat that was diluted about 10%. That is what you see in my pictures. As we have been working with it, the finish seems to be taking on every finger print/oils from our hands/every smudge, and the finish looks more marred/dull than smooth and shiny. Any suggestions for a final coat? Use a spray spar urethane? Just a fine sand? Thoughts and comments welcome!! (This was the part I was most worried about since it is out there for everyone to see.)

2. I do have a small seam by my door hinge where my exterior ply meets. So glad my math worked out on that one! I did not use fiberglass tape. I do plan on adding more urethane at the seam as an extra seal. Any other ideas?

Going outside to enjoy the day off and some sun. Thanks for your help!! :beer:
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby jonw » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:09 pm

What finish of spar urethane did you get? High gloss, semi-gloss, satin, etc.?

Not sure about the mlikiness. Maybe sounds like water? What did you thin the urethane with?

I used satin finish Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane on my woody sides. I tried brushing and then rolling different coats on, but was not happy where there were overlaps that looked much thicker than surrounding areas. After some light sanding my last coat was applied with a HVLP sprayer and was smooth and uniform. That was 3 years ago.

As I write this I'm getting ready to lightly sand again and mask in prep for applying another coat or two also with a HVLP sprayer, mainly to refresh the UV protection so the wood doesn't fade.

The actual spraying is very quick and uses very little urethane, but the prep work is anything but quick. However the evenness and quality of the finish can't be beat. I've found that on an 80 degree or warmer day I don't need to thin the urethane. On a cooler day I might thin it with mineral spirits but only a little bit.

Hope this helps...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby stefantwotimes » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:15 pm

very nice :)
stefantwotimes
Teardrop Inspector

Location: Sweden Lingbo Hälsingland (in the woods northen Sweden)

Postby stefantwotimes » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:22 pm

WOWincredibly nicely built,
lfrazer98 wrote:Thank you, Everyone! We have been working really hard, but had to take a break. Didn't meet my camping deadline and my father's mother had surgery so he is driving to NJ today. I am loving a little down time as the past month has been a whirlwind. Now for some photos, updates, and a couple questions for you. :)

As you can see it was very late when this picture was taken. I think it was about 11:30 PM Weds night. We got the sides glued and tacked on which was our goal for the evening. The finish looked ok, but I have some questions about it I will ask in a little bit.

Thursday- got the profile routered lights attached and starting work on other things.

The trailer is completely enclosed around the top. Hard to see with the sun, but we got it insulated and got the roof skin on. Hatch exterior is skinned and is awaiting electrical.

I put in the foot storage latch and you can see that my dad installed the overhead lighting. The center light (night light) is attached to the switch plate you will see in the next photo. There is a chase in the center and right cabinet for my interior and galley 12V and 120 outlets.

We installed 2 LED reading lamps (one on each side) and they are beautiful and rotate 360. Love them. They are also satin nickel with chrome trim so they match well. The light switch (with homemade maple switch plate) is connected to the center overhead light (which is a very dim "nightlight") so I can turn on a light easily in the middle of the night or upon entering and not get blinded. Got a tip from a fellow teardrop builder that his lights were overkill inside, so I went with less. What you see in these pictures are my only interior lights. I am happy with them. :)
You can also see my headboard cabinets to the left. Bought some magnet closures and they were installed today. No way they will open on the road. They are a little hard to open when I want to open them, but that is the point since I don't have latches. Didn't want to lean against any. I also have maple rails that will sit on top of the headboard, but they are inside drying.

Questions for my teardrop friends....

1. I used the spar urethane for my exterior. Applied 4 coats and one was thinned down to see if it would help with less bubbles, etc. I got streaky marks that had a slight milky look to them. YIKES! Sanded them well and applied another coat that was diluted about 10%. That is what you see in my pictures. As we have been working with it, the finish seems to be taking on every finger print/oils from our hands/every smudge, and the finish looks more marred/dull than smooth and shiny. Any suggestions for a final coat? Use a spray spar urethane? Just a fine sand? Thoughts and comments welcome!! (This was the part I was most worried about since it is out there for everyone to see.)

2. I do have a small seam by my door hinge where my exterior ply meets. So glad my math worked out on that one! I did not use fiberglass tape. I do plan on adding more urethane at the seam as an extra seal. Any other ideas?

Going outside to enjoy the day off and some sun. Thanks for your help!! :beer:
stefantwotimes
Teardrop Inspector

Location: Sweden Lingbo Hälsingland (in the woods northen Sweden)

Postby Chinookered » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:43 pm

lfrazer98 wrote:

Hi Lauren,

The milkiness that you're getting is most likely from the application process you're using. Are you using a foam brush? Cotton Towel? Roller? Unfortunately to completely get rid of it I would recommend sanding it down and starting over. I'm adding a couple of links from http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com Its a woodworking forum and the guy knows his stuff. Both links are in regards to applying a Spar without getting streaking. I hope it helps! (Otherwise the build is looking great!)

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/a-better-way-to-apply-spar-urethane/

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/how-to-finish-without-streaks/
If they don't find you handsome....
Chinookered
Teardrop Builder

Postby lfrazer98 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:16 pm

I used a semi gloss spar urethane. I used a natural fiber brush for the first 3 coats, then thinned it down with mineral spirits for the 4th coat and used a lambs wool applicator. I read online that too much mineral spirits will make it cloudy. So I sanded it down and applied another coat with the same applicator. I didn't think it would be the applicator. It was basically a 4x5" piece of wood covered in lambs wool with a wooden handle. It was for large coverage areas for stain or polyurethane. I think it was made for floors. It left very subtle stroke marks, but only because of the cloudiness. I did reference the wood whisperer web page which is why I thought the "wiping" of the urethane with the applicator would be better to avoid brush strokes and bubbles. I had absolutely no bubbles, very little brush strokes, but only because of the lack of sheen. Obviously the walls looks good in the pics, but on the right angle, I can see those strokes. I think I will try to sand it down again and then spray on one more coat. HPLV sprayer... I will have to look that up. Maybe I can rent one if it is expensive. Thanks for the input so far!!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby jonw » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:27 am

lfrazer98 wrote:HPLV sprayer... I will have to look that up. Maybe I can rent one if it is expensive. Thanks for the input so far!!

Hi Lauren -

That's HVLP (high velociy, low pressure). I bought the absolute cheapest one from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-8-cfm-gravity-feed-spray-gun-67181.html now on sale for $9.99. It's coated with oil to protect it from rust so you have to clean it before first use with some mineral spirits, which is good practice for cleaning it after each use.

One thing about this model sprayer is it does not come with a wrench for removing the nozzle for cleaning and HF doesn't sell one even though the instructions that come with the sprayer says they do. I just used a large channel pliers to grip the outside of the nozzle to loosen it enough to unscrew it. I chewed up the outside of it a little bit but that won't affect it's performance and it will be hand tight and loosen-able going forward.

I recommend also purchasing a set of cleaning brushes http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-airbrush-cleaning-brushes-68155.html, a moisture filter http://www.harborfreight.com/disposable-inline-moisture-filter-68224.html, and a regulator http://www.harborfreight.com/160-psi-hvlp-air-regulator-68222.html. As you see you can get all of this for around $20 or less when on sale.

The only big ticket item you'll need is an air compressor, but you should be able to borrow or rent one.

I'm just finishing masking my teardrop off and will be spraying it shortly, so I'll try to get some pictures to post.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:33 pm

I would love to see some photos of your touch up. We do have an air compressor, so we are good there. Thanks for the links and your explanation. It really helps.

Jon, back to what you said earlier about not thinning your urethane on a hot day. That is some pretty thick stuff. I can't even imagine it spraying well when it seemed to go on like syrup with a brush. Keep me posted on how it goes for this coat and if you can think if any other tips.

One question- The air regulator you provided the link for. Isn't there already one on the air compressor? Why would this one be needed in addition to the other one?

Thanks!!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby jonw » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi Lauren -

Check out http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=60052 for pictures...

It was 80 here today and I added a splash of mineral spirits to 8 oz. of urethane. If I were going to do a second coat I wouldn't thin it at all.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but apparently it's important to control the incoming pressure at the gun that can be different than the varying pressure leaving the compressor. Having said that you can get by without it if your compressor has one (not all do) - you just have to monitor the pressure at the compressor which is less convenient than at the gun. Having said that, the last two times I used a HVLP sprayer the regulators I had from HF were broken and I couldn't use them yet everything came out fine.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby David S » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:30 am

Lauren,

It just makes it easier to adjust the amount of air at the spray gun its self.
The heavier the material the more you need to atomize it.
I rarely have to thin urathane to spray it but if it is to thick you will get a dry of fish eyed texture to it.
To thin and you be moping it off the floor.
You build looks great,
good luck,
David
David S
Donating Member

Postby lfrazer98 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Still waiting for my sprayer to arrive. Should only be a couple more days. In the mean time, this is what we accomplished this weekend. DOORS!

121461 121462
121463 121464
Door openings with trim and T-molding attached. Second one we did was always better than the first...

121465 121466 121467 121468
J- rail installed. Put putty underneath it, but it isn't trimmed in some of the pics. Close up of the J-rail corners. Need to be cleaned up a little bit.
Drip caps installed over the windows. Will need to go back and add more caulk.

121469 121470 121471
Door seals are installed and the doors close very nicely (after some adjustments earlier today).

121472 121473
Finished doors without handles. They will be installed tomorrow. Need to make spacers for the inner door handles so it can latch properly.

Made a few mistakes, but then corrected them on the second door :R But I guess that is what most people do! Thanks to Grant Whipp and his teardrop build on Facebook! Had the computer out all weekend referencing his pics. It was a great Father's Day weekend and my Dad and I celebrated with some good food and by not arguing at all. :applause: :D Hope everyone else had a great Father's Day!!
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:42 pm

That is looking super-duper good! :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:05 am

WOW been a while since I'v been on this forum, looks really nice....I'm thinking of staining mine also...

I've found when spraying Helmsmans Spar urethane it's crucial to have good light to see if you get it wet enough yet not run..., not wet enough, you get orange peel and, unlike lacquer which I have sprayed for decades, urethane is a bear to sand out smooth...Best to have an orbital sander for that...

My woody I plan to epoxy over the raw wood, then the spar urethane, like I do cedar kayaks....
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:27 pm

I do expect to see you and the trailer next year at CAG, It looks great.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Looking great, Lauren. You'll be camping before summer is over. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals