Microwave safe?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Microwave safe?

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:56 pm

I recently picked up two small, perfect-for-single-me, casserole dishes at an antique shop. They are the old Corningware Blue Cornflower pattern. I remember these from the 60's, before microwaves. Of course they don't have any info on the bottom. Anyone tried theirs in the microwave?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Re: Microwave safe?

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:35 pm

From http://www.corellecorner.com/quick-ques ... e-use.html
Corning Ware cookware is microwaveable, regardless of its age. It should not have any metal bands, handles or screws attached, no metal bottom, and no metallic decoration, e.g.: Platinum Filigree. But French White Gold is safe even with its gold-like trim.

Does this help?

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby rebapuck » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Yes it does Thanks. I know there is a test you can do, but I don't remember it. Something about filling with water and heating. Does it get hot or not. Of course it does.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby mallymal » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Just shows what a rip off it is when companies sell "special" microwave dishes.... You can microwave In virtually anything as long as it's not metallic or got metallic fixings, etc,
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby wagondude » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:58 pm

mallymal wrote:Just shows what a rip off it is when companies sell "special" microwave dishes.... You can microwave In virtually anything as long as it's not metallic or got metallic fixings, etc,

Yes, but there are some things that would seem safe that are not. I have a coffee cup that in the customary one minute will give you third degree burns without the coffee inside heating up at all. Must be some lead in the glaze is all I can think. I haven't used it since.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Yes, some things that you'd think were microwave safe aren't. I had a set of "Melmac" plates that I figured were microwave safe, since there's nothing but plastic. Turns out there's some degree of moisture in the plastic that caused them to blister and flake apart when heated in the microwave. I'm back to dishes etc that are marked "microwave safe"

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:15 pm

I've learned not to even try using plastic in the microwave, especially since they have found that when plastic gets to a certain temperature, it begins to break down and emit cancer causing chemicals. I don't even put plastic in the dishwasher anymore.

Glass and porcelain is usually safe (to our knowledge, so far...), as long as it doesn't have any metal or metal-like trim on it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:52 pm

We have had these since our wedding, antique, hmmm.
They are glass.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1