Broken Transducer Wire

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Broken Transducer Wire

Postby Bigwoods » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Has anyone sliced a broken transducer cable on a fishfinder? I got one free and looked on the web and found mixed answers. I can see a red and a black wire and some aluminum in the cable. I figured teardroppers were an industrious lot and would probably try a repair first. :thinking:
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Re: Broken Transducer Wire

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:30 pm

It sounds like 2 conductors and an aluminum foil shield. Can you get to both ends of the broken wire? If so, just connect (with solder and shrink tubing) the red wire to the red wire, the black wire to the black wire, and if the shield is aluminum foil, there's a bare wire hiding in there somewhere, so connect the two bare wires together.

If you can't handle soldering, have someone do it for you because in a wet environment, no other repair method will suffice. If you can't get to both ends of the wire, throw the whole thing away because you're screwed. ;-)

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:40 pm

What GP said but I'd use heat shrink that also has an adhesive in it for extra protection against moisture.

http://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-Elec ... B000QCPKE8

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 pm

I've fixed a couple in the way mentioned above and I've had a failure too. The best result came from a finder that the transducer was hard-wired to the display and I reattached to the circuit board in the case rather than a splice (the damage was right next to the display.) You're not out anything but your time, a couple drops of solder and some shrink wrap to try. Good Luck!
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Bigwoods » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:02 pm

I think the fixed worked. I never used one before, but I was getting the picture I expected and it was telling me the water depth and the temps. Thanks for the help. I'll continue to play with it and see if I can catch a fish in the process.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Return to Off Topic