Sawtooth XL Off Road Teardrop **SOLD**

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

Sawtooth XL Off Road Teardrop **SOLD**

Postby stomperxj » Mon May 26, 2014 2:07 pm

Well folks it’s time to part ways with my beloved trailer, the Sawtooth XL. This trailer was a labor of love and a great learning experience for me being my first wood working project.

The build thread is located here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24959

That thread details the entire build process with some personal grief and triumph sprinkled in. A lot of thought and time went into this trailer. I’ll do my best to cover all the good points and all the issues and items that need attention.

First let’s go over some general information/good points:
Frame built using 2x2x.120 wall mild steel square tube
Henderson Wheel Supply 3500lb axle/hubs with brake brackets (I never installed the brakes)
Heavy duty safety chains
2” removable coupler
Standard utility trailer 1500lb 26” springs
Gabriel 81676 shocks
15x8 Cragar soft 8 wheels, 4” backspacing 5x4.5” pattern, generic AT tires with some visible tread left
Bal 36” stabilizer jacks rear, extended length collapsible tongue jack
LED tail lights and running lights from superbrightleds.com
Kinro aluminum frame radius corner windows
Fantastic Vent ceiling vent/fan unit, 3 speed reversible (never hooked up)
2 interior lights by the doors (never hooked up)
Rear receiver
Standard DOT round 6 pin connector
Under floor mounted battery box (never installed batteries)
Bottom side coated with Rustoleum bed liner
Galley has Formica with caulked seams

Approximately 350 hours build time (SWAG) not including countless hours spent in CAD design

Items you will receive with this purchase:
1 - CD with over 900 pictures detailing the build process
1 - Stabilizer jack lowering/raising tool
1 - Rear table with support leg
1 - 4” decent quality foam mattress and a 2” crappy quality foam mattress

The majority of the fasteners used were stainless and the hatch hinges are also stainless. All metal parts fabricated by me were powder coated except the frame. Baltic Birch plywood was used for most of the outside structure along with some standard ACX. Poplar and red oak used for dimensional lumber (mostly 1x2s). Any other questions you may have about the materials or build process can be found in the build thread or you can ask me anything specific you would like to know.

Alright… so now you know how it was built. I used CPES to seal the wood. Unfortunately I was an idiot during the build and did not read the instructions very well and I applied it incorrectly. Additionally this trailer had to be covered with a tarp and stored outside while I was building my shop. Two harsh Idaho winters later and there are some issues and repairs that need to be done. I’ll do my best to detail what I have done so far and what should/needs to be done. I have started removing the worst areas as you will see in the pictures below. The majority of the problems lie in the areas that have exposed end grain plywood. I don’t think it will take a huge amount of work to get it back to its former glory but it will require some wood working skills. If I were to keep this trailer I would remove all removable items, strip it down to bare wood, repair all the rotten spots and then cover it in a layer of fiberglass cloth. Just sharing what I would do. You most likely have a better idea.

Areas in need of attention:
Lower edge of hatch
Hatch skin
Curb side door. Specifically the lower edge
Road side lower door jamb
Rear storage door needs rebuilt
A few small random splits
There are a number of screws that I covered with bondo that have swelled up some
Front lower edge of main body

I have already fixed the worst areas and will explain what I did to prospective buyers if needed. Overall the main structure of the trailer is very sound. I cannot detect any rot or leaks that made it into the interior of the sleeping area or the main galley. Everything in my opinion is very easily repairable over a month’s worth of weekends. The main reason I am selling this trailer is I really want to start on my next build and the money gained from this sale will give me a head start on it. I realize there is work to be done and have tried to price it accordingly. To the right loving home I am asking for a nominal re-homing fee:

PRICE REDUCED
$2500

Serious inquiries can either reply here or PM me for more info.

Thanks for reading this book of a post. I just want to make sure everything is up front and honest and all information is presented.

Thanks for looking

Jess

Last edited by stomperxj on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Re: Sawtooth XL Off Road Teardrop

Postby stomperxj » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Shoot me a reasonable offer if you are interested...

:thumbsup:
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Re: Sawtooth XL Off Road Teardrop ~Price Reduced~

Postby stomperxj » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:53 am

Sale pending...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Re: Sawtooth XL Off Road Teardrop ~Price Reduced~

Postby stomperxj » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:37 am

Sold!
stomperxj