Revised list 131 trailers' size & weight pg 1 - graph pg 8

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: A List of 117 trailers' size & weight

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:57 am

Data moved farther down.
Last edited by S. Heisley on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:47 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Thanks to all who have contributed! To date, we have 117 trailers listed. If I missed or messed anything, please let me know. :)

Sharon- you updated my trailer' weight to 1438lbs, a while back. After new tonguebox, lighting, extended run fuel tank & generator reconfiguration, complete axle makeover (3500Lb axle-brakes-frame reinforcements-suspension snubbers) were all added in, 1775lbs is my new estimated weight. I promise to stop before it reaches 2000lbs.
Last edited by working on it on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:31 pm

working on it wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:Thanks to all who have contributed! To date, we have 117 trailers listed. If I missed or messed anything, please let me know. :)

Sharon- you updated my trailer' weight to 1438lbs, a while back. After new tonguebox, lighting, extended run fuel tank & generator reconfiguration, complete axle makeover (3500Lb axle-brakes-frame reinforcements-suspension snubbers) were all added in, 1775lbs is my new estimated weight. I promise to stop before it reaches 2000lbs.

If you added this to make me laugh, it worked! :lol: Okay, I'll change your trailer's weight again. :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby angib » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:14 am

Congratulations to Sharon on such a wonderful job! I've taken her data and plotted it on a graph for those, like me, that 'see' data better that way.

This enables the data to be turned around to answer the question "what does a typical teardrop weigh?" and I've started a separate thread for that:
Estimating your teardrop weight
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Yes, the 'dense patch' is from 600 pounds to 1500 pounds, with smaller trailers (like 4x8s) generally at the lower end.

But what it mostly shows is that how heavily the builder builds is at least as important as how big the trailer is.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: A List of 119 trailers' size & weight

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:53 pm

angib wrote:Congratulations to Sharon on such a wonderful job! I've taken her data and plotted it on a graph for those, like me, that 'see' data better that way.

This enables the data to be turned around to answer the question "what does a typical teardrop weigh?" and I've started a separate thread for that:

Thank you, Andrew, for your excellent addition of the graph, adding yet another spin to our forum's inventory of trailer building information.

Below is a list of trailers from people who have supplied their trailer(s) size and weight. It is listed alphabetically by forum member ID. As of 7/13/14 @2:28 PM,I have updated the charts to add square footage in the statistics area of the 3rd scanned page and to match what was used for the Angib's weight graph, which can be found, above.

Thanks to all who have contributed! We ended up with 119 trailers listed!
While the print of these scanned pages, below, is small, it can be enlarged in methods such as follows.

If you are using Google Chrome, you should be able to see three black bars in the upper right corner of your screen.
You can click on those bars and select a zoom strength so that you can magnify the size of the print to get a better look.
(There is a similar feature on Internet Explorer.)

The content of this chart is subject to human error; however, please be aware that:
- If someone was kind enough to answer more than one thread, an effort was made to eliminate duplicates
- If size was not given, that weight could not be used.
- If inches were given, they were dropped/rounded to feet or half feet (6 inches=.5')
- If more than one weight was given, the highest weight was used

angib wrote:

...This enables the data to be turned around to answer the question "what does a typical teardrop weigh?" and I've started a separate thread for that:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: List of 119 trailers' size & weight plus graph! pg 8

Postby oakinteriors1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Woody 5X10 weighs 1000 lbs.

Took it to the local quarry to get it weighed....Without that big refrigerator it would be Under 1,000 lbs, It weighed in at 1,020 lbs....

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57906&start=60#p1086382
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:19 pm

This makes me feel better. Looks like the mean average for a 65 sq ft shell is 1650# +/-

With Chubby at 1830 ( Certified scales weight ) I only over built by about 180 pounds.

The lexan was heavy ! The hatch spars were hugh(and heavy) the sides are soild 5/8 osb with a 1/4 luan veneer over it and it is fully insulated in the floor and the sides.

IT was my first build and I didn't want it falling apart so yes I overbuilt but I'll take the 9.8% over weight penalty gladly.

It's looking sad and in need of some attention soon but it is still my favorite.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am

One of my goals with the Boxcar was to store everything in the trailer, nothing goes in the truck. When I weighed mine, I had it full of water (26 gal), food and all the camping appurtenances I see people put in their cars - lawn chairs, dutch ovens, awnings, etc. I wonder how much the trailer weight would go up for the typical teardrop if all the camping stuff in the car was included in the trailer. :thinking:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:41 pm

bdosborn wrote:One of my goals with the Boxcar was to store everything in the trailer, nothing goes in the truck. When I weighed mine, I had it full of water (26 gal), food and all the camping appurtenances I see people put in their cars - lawn chairs, dutch ovens, awnings, etc. I wonder how much the trailer weight would go up for the typical teardrop if all the camping stuff in the car was included in the trailer. :thinking:

Bruce

With an empty trailer, weight is less likely to fluctuate than it is when loaded and that makes it easier to compare to commercial factory trailer weights, which are done when the trailer is empty. However, a few people insisted upon giving the loaded weight because they felt like you do. Therefore, the resulting weight information is slightly less than perfect. We get what people were willing to give.

However, food, clothing, bedding, potty supplies, etc, change with every season and even every camping trip because the length of stay can mean more food for more days and possibly more clothing, fuller water and propane tanks..... Add to that, like many people may also do, I clean out and pare down the trailer contents every winter season so that the trailer starts out fairly light at the beginning of the camping season; but, by fall, I've usually added quite a few things. :roll:

Then, of course, when people load their trailers for a camp trip, they want to get on the road and go CAMPING!!! :D Most don't want to stop at a weigh station and take the time to see how much everything weighs. :( Such is life..... ;)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:05 pm

Just one more point, because it kind of fits with whether one should weigh a trailer loaded or not....I had a discussion with a CA highway patrolman about how the law sees the trailer. (We were talking about the point when brakes were required; but, it still sort of fits here.) He sent me this, directly from the CA law books:

Section 26303. Every trailer coach and every camp trailer having a gross weight* (Not Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 1,500 pounds or more, but exclusive of passengers, shall be equipped with brakes on at least two wheels which are adequate, supplemental to the brakes on the towing vehicle, to enable the combination of vehicles to comply with the stopping distance requirements of Section 26454.

*Gross weight is the weight of the trailer empty.
*Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the combination of the trailer and the load it is caring.

And don’t forget this:
Section 29003. (a) Every hitch or coupling device used as a means of attaching the towed and towing vehicles shall be properly and securely mounted and be structurally adequate for the weight drawn. The mounting of the hitch or coupling device on the towing and towed vehicle shall include sufficient reinforcement or bracing of the frame to provide sufficient strength and rigidity to prevent undue distortion of the frame.
(b) The drawbar, tongue, or other connection between the towing and towed vehicles shall be securely attached and structurally adequate for the weight drawn.

It's simply good information to know.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pchast » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi,
Weighed my 4 x 8 foamy and its too heavy.... :lol:
It came in at 560 lbs. I'm disappointed but it'll work
out well for us. Its hard to believe that paint weighs
so much.

Maybe it will get lighter as it cures?
:)

Thanks,
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 pm

pchast wrote:Hi,
Weighed my 4 x 8 foamy and its too heavy.... :lol:
It came in at 560 lbs. I'm disappointed but it'll work
out well for us. Its hard to believe that paint weighs
so much.

Maybe it will get lighter as it cures?
:)

Thanks,

Yes, it is surprising to see how much paint weighs. Paint is one of those things that is pretty much impossible to weigh ahead of time.
Even accurate calculations can be difficult because the thickness and the heaviness of application can modify any "guess".
But, you've done really well, keeping your trailer's weight down to 560 lbs. You should be proud of that. :thumbsup:

It looks like people want me to continue to add trailers to the chart. I guess I'll have to get off my duff and do that soon. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Revised list 125 trailers' size & weight pg 1 - graph pg

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:54 am

Some of you requested changes to your trailer’s weight and others requested that their trailer be included on the chart; so, I have updated accordingly. We now have 125 trailers with size and weight documented. The revised chart can be found at the top of page 1 in this thread.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Revised list 125 trailers' size & weight pg 1 - graph pg

Postby wyrdone » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:06 pm

I tried zooming in on your posted images and everything goes really blurry.

Mind hosting the spreadsheet out on Google Docs or similar?

(I also run a hosting business and will gladly host it for free as well)
wyrdone
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion