Pex for small sink and water hook up

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Pex for small sink and water hook up

Postby cdc3jj » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:16 am

Is pex the best option for a small bar sink and reserve water tank? I'm renovating a 1969 Traveleze and we're going to put in a small bar style sink. I'm hoping to install a reserve water tank above the cooking area as well as having a water hook up for campsites. What's the best way to install the water hook up? And will small pex tubing be the best option? Thanks...
cdc3jj
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pex for small sink and water hook up

Postby Triker » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:48 am

Try typing "pex" in the search box and see what comes up to follow...
Triker
Triker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 am

http://flexpvc.com/

I have been looking this way for the caboose. I can not find any freeze thaw information on it however.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:08 am

PEX tubing is not harmed by freezing. It has enough stretch built in to take care of the expansion. It is made stretchy and one of the connection systems uses that expansion to make connections to their brand of fittings (Uponer). It is still possible to be unlucky and have a fitting crack by freezing water. I don't know how likely it is to have a fitting crack though. My limited experience with freezing water filled pex lines has been good. The PEX must have "given" enough to prevent fitting damage. But I have had a valve crack as water was trapped inside.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Malamute » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:55 pm

They make both plastic and brass fittings for pex. I would think the brass would be more resistant to cracking, but is likely still possible to have a brass fitting crack. I use brass fittings when doing pex work in houses. I haven't been real happy with plastic parts in other applications and have avoided them in pex work.

You know all those things you've always wanted to do?

You should go do them.
Malamute
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Compass Rose is set up with Pex and I have had to modify to accommodate changes using SharkBite fittings, no leaks but I do winterize.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Malamute » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Sharkbites. Good fittings. I keep some in my work stuff, the plain caps. It allows one to cap off a problem until it can be fixed properly. May be a good idea to keep a cap handy in your road gear.

You know all those things you've always wanted to do?

You should go do them.
Malamute
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets