Potties and showers

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Potties and showers

Postby eaglesdare » Fri May 03, 2013 6:56 am

I use the double bag thing also. So darn easy, zip and throw away.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby gypsy97 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 am

May I ask what is the "double bag thing"? When I did a lot of long distance backpacking in the 1997 I used a ziplock bag in my tent when it was rainning. I've tried it recently on camping trips and the ziplocks leak - they sure aren't as good as they used to be. I'm going to check out the portable potties at REI soon, but wonder if they are worth the hassle. Thanks.

Gypsy
gypsy97
Teardrop Advisor

Postby T@Baker » Mon May 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Reliance makes Double Dootie bags for the Luggable Loo that consists of an outer, thicker, double-zip lock bag with an inner powder coated bag. The powder gels when it comes in contact with liquid. The next morning, you push the inner back inside of the outer bag, zip, and toss.
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby vaddisonme » Mon May 06, 2013 2:42 pm

We just buy the pine kitty litter and regular garbage bag liners for our luggable loo. Works great and smells great-just like the piney woods. :)
The Marshmallow pulling our Sweet Potato.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby T@Baker » Mon May 06, 2013 3:29 pm

I have used Depends left over from my mom's use. Just sat it in the bottom with a regular garbage bag. I prefer the Reliance though.
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby mcspin50 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm

I have a Travel John Commode Chair that I use either in my Scamp if it's cold at night or in a pop-up privacy tent next to it if it's not. (Sadly, my teardrop project is languishing in a secure storage shed, but will hopefully hit the road by summer's end if my son and one of his housemates decide to lend a hand to dear ol' Mom. 8) ) In the commode chair I double bag a couple smaller kitchen trash bags just in case one bag might spring a leak. :shock: For an absorbent material I use peat moss - very lightweight and no odor. I'm a happy camper. :thumbsup:
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby vaddisonme » Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Love your scamp!!!! :D
The Marshmallow pulling our Sweet Potato.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mcspin50 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks vaddisonme!
I bought it so I could go camping while I finished my teardrop, but then liked it so much that I sorta lost interest in finishing the teardrop. Besides, I'm to all the hard stuff in the teardrop build - electrical, door installation, cutting those :x @#%$ :? hatch ribs. I will finish it tho. Really. I will.
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 pm

gypsy97 wrote:May I ask what is the "double bag thing"? When I did a lot of long distance backpacking in the 1997 I used a ziplock bag in my tent when it was rainning. I've tried it recently on camping trips and the ziplocks leak - they sure aren't as good as they used to be. I'm going to check out the portable potties at REI soon, but wonder if they are worth the hassle. Thanks.

Gypsy

Potty Double bag:

Potty bag before opening:

Ready for use:

In the morning, roll the inner bag down and zip the outer bag closed before discarding:

Keep some folded bags in the bottom, under the opened bag:

Ever since a practical joker slit one of my double bags, I line the bottom with a paper towel and also lay one on top, so that when I change the bags, I can see that all is dry. (The “slit” joke only happened once.) :

You’ve heard of a “Tea” party? Well, I had another kind of party that night. I sat on the floor, laughing about it.
These came in very handy then, as well as for other uses after that:

PS. I'm going to post this in the "Going Pee in the Middle of the Night" thread, so the Newbies can find it easily.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ladyliz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:31 pm

As for bathing outdoors... Yup. The bucket works! After some trial and error we use the following method:
- Use an old patio umbrella for an instant privacy screen. It helps if a partner stands guard ;)
- Get a two gallon bucket or so and fill it with a mix of heated water and tap to get the temp right.
- Get yourself a foam anti-fatigue mat to stand on and some old flip flops to wear. If you're comfortable strip all the way down
or just down to your skivies.
- Add in several dashes of Dr. Bronner's to the bucket or other bio-degradable soap (we like Dr. B's peppermint)
- Use a cup or small bowl to take a "bucket bath;" start with your hair. Wet it and comb through.
- Wet and and scrub your whole body toes to face a couple of cupfuls at a time; a bath brush and sponge is helpful here.
- Rinse off with either clean warm water from a different bucket, or if you want to get fancy, use
a "bug sprayer shower" set up (look it up; it's easy to make) - we like it. The battery operated showers look cool too, but we haven't
gotten on (yet.)
- That's it! Nothing like throwing off a robe and returning to the campsite to relax! Or donning some fresh clothes. :)

Liz and Ro
PS - The patio umbrella screen also works for using a luggable loo or for clothes changing if you don't have a separate privacy tent.
Don't try this on a very windy day though :roll:
ladyliz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:25 am

Realistically I do not think it is any less safe than it ever has been and while we have a portapotty Nancy has yet to use it. We have a Shower that plugs into the side of the tear and uses the water heater and plumbing, and we have yet to use it.
In the Midwest most camping is in defined camp grounds which have bathrooms.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 am

Miriam C. wrote:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31771

I strongly recommend reading this thread. I have a plastic flushing portapotty and will always have one. I take it every time because I will not go out at night if I am alone. It is a pain to clean but doesn't tip and spill.

For kids almost anything will work. I have seen even kitty litter used in a Lugable loo...this is a 5 gallon bucket with a seat...

All of my girls know not to go to the facilities alone. We drive it in. :o

My gal pals all seem to like this setup.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:26 am

S. Heisley wrote:[

Ready for use:

Looks kinda familiar.

Mine was a tossed 7 gallon hydraulic fluid bucket, and a waiting at the curb for the trash man, toilet.

I took the seat and screwed it to the bucket lid after cutting out the center. I kept a second lid in tact to use as a transport lid.

Mr. stinky now has his own room in the house in a house.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby starleen2 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:56 am

S. Heisley wrote:I don't know what she does but I've asked this question before. The best answer to date came from Starleen2 (Scott). He stands in a plastic wash tub and lets the gray water run down into it. Then, he takes it to the bathroom or dump site and dumps it there.

Actually this is true - for warm water, I use a two gallon bug sprayer with water heated from a campfire, coffee maker, or microwave (depends on the mood of the day) then pump up the sprayer and voila - instant shower with No batteries. Some have taken to paint the sprayer black and leave it out in the sun to warm the water. Usually you can get the job done with less than two gallons
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby T@Baker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:57 pm

If I can manage the changes in Flickr, I will post a pick of my decorated Luggable Loo

[img][img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3849/14468463937_5482b5e2f9_z.jpg[/img]Luggable Loo lid by fivebakers, on Flickr[/img]

Crap. Pun intended.
Didn't work. Why can't they leave things alone. Flickr used to be easy.
Crystal -
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers