Damed passers-by with cameras!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Damed passers-by with cameras!

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:45 am

I just returned from the IRG and try to stay in the right hand lane, tucked inbetween the semi truckers. However, some truckers can't maintain proper speed going up hill, so I generally pass them, since my light-weight Stealth Fighter tows so effortlessly. However, as I attempt to pass a slower trucker, a look-ee-lu, photo-taker in a car, is right by my side, in the second lane from the right. When they slow down to take pics with their cell phones or cameras, they are going the same speed as I am, and have me locked in to right lane, until they are finished with their photo opps and thumbs-up jestures. I don't mind that, but is sure is a drag, when I am trapped behind a big rig, and my monster, 4 banger with 6 speed automatic turbo, Chevy Cruze, is trapped doing 35 mph up a hill, with smiling, thumbs-up folks, preventing me from changing lanes. Has enyone else experienced this kind of unwanted interest and right-lane-capture? I've even contemplated a sign that says, "take your pic, but don't slow down, I'm trying to get home!'"
:D 8) :roll: :thumbdown: Roly, not that I mind, but is sure slows me down on the interstate.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Re: Damed passers-by with cameras!

Postby 48Rob » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:49 am

Has enyone else experienced this kind of unwanted interest and right-lane-capture? I've even contemplated a sign that says, "take your pic, but don't slow down, I'm trying to get home!'"

:pictures: :pictures: :vroom: :pictures: :pictures:

All the time...
Usually fun, but dangerous sometimes because they aren't paying attention to their driving at 75 mph! :?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pjsauls » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 am

Believe Lester Sr. at the Louisiana Tearjerker Chapter mentioned he's had lot's of like experiences. Course his TD and car are quite the pair. 8)

John
"Fate is the hunter for those least prepared." -Ernest K. Gann
pjsauls
Donating Member

Postby citylights » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:05 am

I have a friend who builds custom cars for car shows. Bubble Ray and wind jammer, and a few others.

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2009/11/bubble-ray-focus-of-las-vegas-news.html

He used to occasionally drive them on the road (legally licensed for it) and transport them to car shows in an open trailer.

He witnessed a rubber necker wreck right next to him. Ho doesn't drive them on the road anymore. He sold the open trailer and get an enclosed one.
citylights
500 Club

Postby Gary and Cheri » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 am

I've got a 1965 Austin "Mini" Cooper S and when on multi lane roads I have gotten surrounded by people all trying to give me the thumbs up. It's great until you realize you are the only person looking down the road. Then it gets kind of scary. You know it is kind of like that old joke.

A man falls off a ten story building and as he passes each floor he is heard to say "So far so good".

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby angib » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Roly, my heart goes out to you. A long time ago, I had this rare British motorcycle oddity that obviously got a few people staring.

Quasar8s.jpg
Quasar8s.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 1640 times

And the really odd thing I used to get was from folks who, I think, just weren't sure what that was alongside them and they would just stare resolutely ahead - I reckoned their mental process was "if I don't look at that thing, I don't have to reconcile myself to whatever it is".

Eventually I could lip-read the bike's registration (license plate) number, as so many times as I went past police cars, I could see the officer speaking my registration number into his car's radio handset, presumably to get an answer to the question "what the **** is that?"
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby sagebrush » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Nifty bike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now back to your regular programing :oops:
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:42 pm

sagebrush wrote:Nifty bike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now back to your regular programing :oops:

Yup! There'd be less bug juice on your clothes in that one! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rebapuck » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:32 pm

I can't begin to tell you how many cell phones have a picture of my VWs on them. I often wonder how long the picture stays before getting deleted.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:04 am

Doesn't happen often but when people see my bug pulling a trailer I get a double look once in awhile. Or they pull alongside and point then move on rather quickly.
Very interesting bike.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby dguff » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:37 am

I never in my life had any one attempt to even look twice at my teardrop let alone take a photo of the thing.

Wow!!!!!!!!!! That is unusual for a teardropper. :pictures:??
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:21 pm

I get it all the time. Many hang back and sheepishly take a picture. Then when they go past I can see them looking to see if it turned out. Others are blatantly taking pictures and will go by after they are finished and give a thumbs up. It only bothers me when they hang in my blind spot and cause me to have to slow down and not be able to get out and pass.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby NCBooger » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Well, because I don't have a TD yet they don't do it me for that reason. But, I do own a 69 Pontiac that gets some attention in a similar way. At first I would surprice the snot out of them when I got frustrated enough I would stomp on the throttle and "chirp" the tires at 70mph when it dropped a gear! Then I decided that was too much gas and wear/tear on my car because of their stupidity. So just started taking pictures right back! As long as they were being annoying so would I!
Of course on the occasional time I would take it to an actual car show I don't care. But sitting at the local burger joint on a Saturday afternoon with my wife gets annoying.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
NCBooger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Lots of waves and a couple different men approached me at a restaurant this noon.
I didn't notice any cameras... This my first distance tow on the Thruway.
8)
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Off Topic