how many coleman lanterns for a trailer house?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: how many coleman lanterns for a trailer house?

Postby dratkinson » Tue May 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:If one uses the Aladdin lamps remember that if you are above about 3000 feet in elevation you need either the tall chimney or use aluminum foil to make an extension about 2-4 inches long.

Randy

I'm at 5,400' altitude.

I have both chimneys on my two Aladdin lamps: one short, one long. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see that much difference between the two. But I've not yet used them very much, so could be I'm new to this learning curve.

You can buy the high-altitude extension from Lehman's Hardware online.

But being cheap, I made an extension from a piece of handy coil.

Make the right diameter chimney jig. Cut several TP rolls lengthwise. (TP rolls are 4" long, about the length of the extension adapter.) Wrap/tape each around an uncut TP roll until combination is the diameter of my shorter (cheaper) chimney. (Took maybe 3-4 TP rolls to build up to correct chimney diameter.)

Cut a piece of handy coil 4"x7.5". Wrap handy coil around chimney jig: the ends will overlay ~.5". Tape handy coil tightly in place. Drill three holes along coil overlap and through chimney jig: you won't hurt it. Un-tape handy coil, remove chimney jig.

Remove tape residue. Secure coil with pop rivets through drilled holes.

Add two additional pop rivets (equally spaced ) opposite one of the end pop rivets. Those three pop rivets become the legs which allow the chimney extension to sit on top of the glass chimney.

In use the handy coil extension will turn dark.

In use, I can't really see much difference between using the lamp with/without the extension.

It is possible I should have made the extension a tighter/friction fit as there is a small gap between it and the glass chimney. So maybe too much air is leaking past and the lamp is not seeing enough additional vacuum to make it work better.

But even without the extension, the shorter chimney Aladdin is still bright, so plan to use it that way and not bother with the extension.

Just for grins, tried the handy coil extension on my flat-wick lamp to see if it would work better (chimney top diameter was comparable). Didn't see that much difference in brightness, but the flame was acting differently (maybe taller, more feathery edges; but it's been a while and I've forgotten), so more air was flowing through the lamp.

Bottom line. Will probably just use both lamps (Aladdin and flat wick) without the extension; and buy the shorter, cheaper Aladdin chimney as replacement.
dratkinson
Teardrop Builder

Postby dratkinson » Fri May 09, 2014 2:08 am

Stumbled across this bulb as an example:

http://www.eslightbulbs.com/products/3-watt-led-bulbs

3W LED translates into ~45W incandescent-bulb lighting level.

I seem to recall 5000K is close to natural sunlight: no noticeable red/blue tint.

Don't know if these bulbs are reliable.

But, assuming everything worked well, than a combination of: solar panel, deep-cycle battery, battery clamps to extension cord adapter (observing correct polarity), polarized extension cords, and polarized switched light bulb sockets (think drop lights or table lamps) could maybe be a starting place for a 12v system to do what slow wants to light his trailer.

Above could also charge a cell phone directly by using 12v charging cord and cigarette lighter socket adapter.

Should probably also include some circuit fusing for safety.
dratkinson
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ironhinge » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:17 am

I have been thinking about Leds, especially as a general light... I love "real" light you get from propane, gas or incandescent for task lighting and actually working/living. But having a switch that gives enough light in the larger space to move around, refill fuel, replace mantels etc... seems key. Plus a switch makes getting up in the night easy.

I saw a string of water resistant leds for sale at radio shack. I believe there were 20 sets of three and one or 1/3 watt per led. It is actually a ribbon that can be cut to length and attached to a 12v line. I think the actual draw on a 12v deep cycle would be low enough that It wouldn’t really be an issue to have one or two on in the background in case your main light gets finicky.
Ironhinge
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Corwin C » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:37 am

At work, the mandate came around to update the shop and yard lighting. Replaced 500 watt Mogul incandescent lighting with 6 watt LED. I can now light the whole shop (120' x 40') for less power than one bulb previously. There is some color difference, but it's a comfortable difference and the quality/quantity of light is comparable to before.

As for lanterns in a trailer house ... one lit int the room you spend your time in and one lit to move when you move around and one fueled and ready to go so you don't have to fuel a hot lantern. Carbon monoxide detector is a must have item and be careful.

The 12v/solar option with LED lights and judicious use might be the best and safest solution. It could be done the same as a teardrop, just more wire. Watch the voltage drop with long wire lengths.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby rowerwet » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:41 am

A friend of mine is an administrator for a college, back when CFL's were new the college was told they would save a bunch of money going to them. He never saw a change to the electric rate/maintenance bills. Now they replace everything with LED as it fails, he is finally seeing the promised savings, thanks to LED's.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby mgb4tim » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:38 pm

led strip lighting can be had cheaply ($7.50 for 15' strip), uses little power (2 amps at 12v), doesn't take up much room, and usually comes with a 3M adhesive backing.
mgb4tim
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm

That would light you right up. But the cost of CF these days. :frightened:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Ironhinge » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:19 pm

The Chandelier sounds spectacular, is it white gas?
Ironhinge
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrice » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 pm

I grew up without electricity. We upgraded from kerosene and coleman to stationary propane lights (Humphries) and later to solar. You need one coleman light, the one your using. You don't want to leave these things burning unattended all over the place. Have secure places for them so they don't get inadvertently knocked over and if you use hangers make sure they are far enough from the walls and ceiling. If you cant keep your hand between them its too close. If using white gas, fill them outside each night before you light them. Enough solar for led lights can be made with one of those little harbor freight set ups. Batteries produce hydrogen when they charge. They do not go in the house.! They go outside in an insulated vented box.
lrrice
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment