CNC Build: The Bed and Breakfast at 4 years and 40,000 miles

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CNC Build -- Testing A/C

Postby working on it » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Looks good, but might I suggest using insulated ducting for efficiency and to prevent the cold air/aluminum flexpipe from "sweating" and possibly causing water damage. Though I used insulated ducting for my A/C exhaust routing, it would still be useful in your application.
Masterflow insulated flex duct.jpg
Masterflow insulated flex duct.jpg (47.28 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
I used this size from HD http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-8-in-x-25-ft-Insulated-Flexible-Duct-R6-Silver-Jacket-F6IFD8X300/100396936
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:02 pm

working on it wrote:Looks good, but might I suggest using insulated ducting for efficiency and to prevent the cold air/aluminum flexpipe from "sweating" and possibly causing water damage. ...

That's what I love about this forum. I'm out there thinking, "What am I going to do about this condensation on the duct?," and I come in and there's an answer before I even ask the question. :D :thumbsup: Thanks, Working On It.

I'll probably do something like that, but not as thick. The duct doesn't go through a hot attic, so shouldn't need too much insulation.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby aggie79 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Looking good Cap'n,
I wrapped my duct with that foil covered bubble wrap radiant barrier stuff. I cut in 4" wide strips and spiral/helical wrapped it along the length. I did apply two laters but that was probably overkill.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:07 pm

aggie79 wrote:Looking good Cap'n,

Thanks, Tom. I'm thinking it's going to turn out pretty good.

aggie79 wrote:I wrapped my duct with that foil covered bubble wrap radiant barrier stuff. ...

Yeah, something like that oughta work.

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- Right side AL success, hatch, more

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 am

The new piece of aluminum came in for the right side, and I failed to mess it up, so it now hangs on the right side of the trailer.
I admired that for a minute or two, and decided that I can't keep putting off finishing the hatch forever.

First, I decided to work on the top gutter. I want a nice radius in the corners for appearance's sake, so how to do that? :thinking: I have a piece of 1x1/16 Al flat bar (I have never owned so much aluminum in all my life). Clamped that to a piece of PVC pipe, applied a bit of manly strength and got this:
Good for 2 corners plus a little.

Add a piece of angle and you get something like this:
I'm contemplating using Bondo to fill that corner (How tacky :roll: ). Better ideas are welcomed.

Today's agenda was to finally put the ply skin on the hatch. The hatch frame got a little skewed to the right when I installed it, and I want to get rid of some of that. So spacer blocks on the right to move the hatch frame to the left:
I ended up using two clamps, but you get the idea. I also wanted the hatch to be up a little bit so two birds, one stone.

The actual skinning went easily. Clamp on the bottom rib, apply glue to the next rib, staple, repeat on the next higher rib, etc. Unclamp the bottom rib, glue, staple and clamp. Done.
This picture makes it look out of whack because the hatch is partly up. It didn't turn out that way at all.

I did get some gap-osis between the spar and the skin.
This is due to the spar curve not matching the same curve the ply wants to bend to, and not vice-versa. Remember me muttering something about parabolas earlier? Anyway, I'm going to allow this to go as-is, because I should get less springback than if I try to force the ply to bend to my will.

The next step is to trim the edges. This was intensely tense, because this is handheld router work and I usually manage at least one goof on that kinda stuff.
I learned a couple of things that bear mentioning for anyone who wants to try making their hatch like this.

First, SAVE THE TOP EDGE FOR LAST. Until you trim the sides, the hatch won't close completely, and you will get a too-wide gap at the top! How do I know this? :roll: At least it doesn't show from ground level. I'll make it better when I do the Al.

Secondly, the direction you move the router can make a real difference in how this turns out. The guiding surfaces are the side walls and the galley spar on top. You want the cutting action to tend to force the router toward the guide surface. So you go up on the left side, down on the right, and left-to-right along the top. Fortunately, I figured this one out before I started.

There's more, but it's tired and I'm getting late. :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Breytie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:43 am

capnTelescope wrote:The new piece of aluminum came in for the right side, and I failed to mess it up, so it now hangs on the right side of the trailer.

If you ty to fail and succeed, did you succeed or fail?

At least you and the CNC now understand each other! It looks very good, just keep it going while it is going right.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 am

Breytie wrote:If you ty to fail and succeed, did you succeed or fail?

:? :lol:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- More hatch. Weatherstrip!

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:33 am

Teardrop Time took over the last couple of weeks and I've been working less and posting not at all, so it's time to catch up. Hot weather, going out of town, and stuff I'd rather not be having to do kept me off the build. Okay, enough whining.

I made some holes in the side for water, 110VAC in, and 12VDC out. Tense moments, because it's handheld router time.
No mishaps except I think I got some sawdust down the water inlet pipe. Mounted the hardware.

I spent an afternoon at TechShop fabricating some trim pieces to fit over the top rim of the galley wall. It's a shallow "U" from the same alloy as the skin. This pic shows the trim in place on top of the galley wall, and another piece to the right, showing the bottom side.

Of course, the trim doesn't want to bend willingly. I made a roller tool with a bolt and some donuts cut from scrap ply on the CNC.
It works so-so. The trim channel wants the walls to kink past a certain amount of bend.

I was going to make a couple of roof skin bends on the brake, but the bending brake only takes 4' wide, and I've got 5'. Curses, foiled again. I might have to improvise a brake with some boards.

I've been procrastinating finishing up the hatch weatherseal 'cuz I'm still not 100% sure how I want to do all of it. Luckily, I'm pretty darn sure how I want the sides done. So I cut out two seal carrier pieces from 1/8" AL, ground to fit the curve of the hatch skin, installed the rubber weatherstrip, and ...

also ...

Closed, it fits really good on the right side:
The hatch is about 1/8" proud of the side wall. That can be fixed pretty easily. Build up the side wall edge with some bendy strips and trim rout to a perfect fit.

The left side has a couple of problems. The hatch is way proud on the end:
and there is an area where the weatherstrip needs its height adjusted to meet the hatch.

Don't panic! It might well be that the left side fit can be improved by moving the weatherstrip carrier up/down/forward/back. I'll inspect some more and report back.

I can see the finished hatch more clearly now. :SG

Thanks for stopping by! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- More hatch. Weatherstrip!

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:59 am

Just keep working through it, the solutions will come. You have done some great work there. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: CNC Build -- Weatherstrip! Update + teaser

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:35 pm

Quick update for those of you on the edge of your seats... I moved the left side weatherstrip carrier about an inch forward, and now the hatch closes much better. :thumbsup:

100 degrees in the shade :sweaty:

Here's a teaser for y'all to ponder. first pic:

They come in matched pairs:

I'll need 4 sets this size, and 4 sets in a smaller size.

There's a third part that I don't have a picture of yet..

They aren't necessary for the Tear to be campable, but nice to have.

I'm going to need another sheet of 3/4" ply. :money:

Thanks for stopping by! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:46 am

My first guess at the teaser was some sort of wing or knock down table frame work, but the angles seemed wrong; so I am going with tongue box hoop frame sections. Do I win a prize? :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:41 am

KCStudly wrote:My first guess at the teaser was some sort of wing or knock down table frame work, but the angles seemed wrong; so I am going with tongue box hoop frame sections. Do I win a prize? :D

Hmmmm.....

KC:

I had to re-look at 'em and the multiple leg lengths doesn't seem right for a tongue box. At least with my limited mini-brain imagination. But Brad and that damn CNC machine, who knows? I'm stumped.

I'm guessing his next build will be done with a 3-D printer. "Print Now," and shazzzzam. But, once again, this thread has my attention. It's that same mystery/thriller story telling you're using on your PCE thread. Leave a guy hanging. I'd guess I'd better take a look-see at your build and see what new twists, conflicts, and tension have been woven into your story. :o

Brad:

We had another fine TD adventure this week. Three nights, four days into a bit of country I hadn't seen before (and we'll be headed back there before summer is done). It was my second build's first trip –my sis and bro-in-law's new 'drop.

Fine food, fishing (big fat brookies), scenery and weather. You'll be envious to hear that I didn't even have to turn the fan on. Highs in the 80's lows in the fifties, with daytime humidities 15-20%. Didn't break a sweat. (I keep looking at your A/C unit and shaking my Idaho-head) :beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: CNC Build -- Teaser -- new clue

Postby capnTelescope » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:26 pm

BTW, RandyG, if you're still out there and not too busy Staff Sergeant-ing, I showed you the other part and gave you the answer when you came by. I'm afraid you're not elegible. The decision of the judges is final.

KCStudly wrote: I am going with tongue box hoop frame sections. Do I win a prize?

That would be this:
I'm sorry, that's not the right asnwer, you don't win the prize. Next contestant, please.

tony.latham wrote:We had another fine TD adventure this week.

I. Am. So. Jealous. :envious:

Here's a nue clew:
This is a prototype piece of the other part that I didn't have a pic of. It does not necessarily represent the final size or the complete configuration
4 pieces each in 2 sizes = 8 pieces.

:beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:01 pm

That Tony, always sticking the knife straight in and twisting it. Cheeky. I am totally green.

Hey capn', sum ding wong. I count eleven not eight. :thinking:

I'm stumped, too.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:57 pm