bees wax for off season storage?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby ae6black » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:29 pm

I am curious, does anybody know if a bees wax seasoning would help out protecting dutch ovens for over winter storage? I am wondering if perhaps it wouldn't help out with protecting the DO's from rust and perhaps also keeping the oil seasoning that I normally use from turning rancid. Does anybody have any experience in long term storage with bees wax seasoning and do you use it on both outside and inside of the pot? Obviously I have more questions than answers.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: bees wax for off season storage?

Postby Betsey » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Thanks to George H. from Tennessee sharing this method of seasoning with us several years ago, many of us teardroppers use beeswax as the seasoning on our cast iron instead of oil. It works beautifully, both inside and out, requires very little maintenance and does not get sticky during storage. :thumbsup:

Here is George's explanation on how to season cast iron with beeswax:

"In short, prepare your CI as you would for shortening type seasoning. Get it warm enough to melt the bee wax, getting a puddle. Soak this puddle up in a lint free cloth. Spread a coating of the wax all over the CI piece. Take a second lint free cloth and wipe the surfaces of the CI that you had coated.

"In the mean time, preheat your oven to 475minimum, 500 max.**

"When oven is up to temp, put piece on oven rack set at middle of oven. Bake CI for 1 hour plus. Then shut oven off and let it cool till you can handle it. Repeat the coating and wiping process, return to oven reheated to same temps. Again let it bake for an hour. Now you can repeat as many times as you like obviously the more times you do it the better the 'season coating.' When you finally let the CI get to room temp, note how black it is, and how hard and slick the surface feels.

"Now for fun and giggles give your piece a lite spray of non stick, heat it up, and fry an egg. When you go to pick it up and flip I'll bet you have a lot of trouble getting the egg on your spatula. You will chase it all around the pan.

"When you clean this piece now, use boiling water to cut residual oil, or grease. Wipe dry, heat it up to dry, and then you are ready to store unit. Bee wax will not turn rancid, it your pot does stink, it is because there is residual cooking grease in pot, or on lid.

"Note:
--Bee wax will be in a solid chunk, possibly even molded. Make sure you get 100% pure beeswax (food grade) and not the kind you buy in craft stores for candlemaking.

**Warning: if you get too much hotter than 500 deg. you will burn your seasoning off."

Betsey
8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ae6black » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Hey Thanks! That was the kind of information I was looking for.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:41 am

George's method rocks. It's what we use all the time....on all of our cast iron....home and camping. Nothing sticks....and we use less oil. Awesome post.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby HornD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:30 am

Like, Like, Like.
Sanded mine last night 150 then 220, then put on a coat of beeswax and let cool (potbelly was warm). Going in oven tonight.
HornD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GerryS » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:50 am

Just bee warned...you'll have to chose your eggs then :)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kharn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Where do you buy food-grade bees wax?
Kharn
500 Club

Postby GerryS » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Just make sure it's 100% beeswax. You'll not see food safe anywhere...it is though if it's 100%. You can find it online as well as from your local apiary :)

The best off season storage is use at home....just season with beeswax for incredible nonstick.

You might be able to dip into molten wax, the problem with that is it's very hard to melt safely since beeswax is highly flammable....they make candles out of it....I wouldn't recommend that.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Betsey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:20 pm

Kharn wrote:Where do you buy food-grade bees wax?

The best, and probably least expensive source, is from a local apiary. I have a friend who keeps bees and sells the wax in 1/2 lb and 1 lb blocks. The 1/2 lb blocks are $3.50 and the 1 lb blocks are $6.00. The wax is pure and very clean, I know where it came from, the price is good and I'm supporting a local business...A winning situation all around!

Betsey
8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:25 am

That's a lot cheaper than online....we typically pay $5 a pound locally. Online will be double that. That pound lasts is a year or so doing all kinds of cast iron and household duties. Zipper lube, cutting board conditioner, loosening nuts....good overall stuff!

Of course the best way is to install your own hive...local honey doesn't get much more local than your backyard, wax, and the joy of knowing you're helping the bees.

I have 1 hive and the work is minimum.
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/

Before you think it, after the first year, I haven't gotten stung except while doing something unrelated to beekeeping. :). Oops! I knew better than that.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sat May 02, 2015 12:06 pm

Can the beeswax go on over an already existing oil based coating?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bobhenry » Sat May 02, 2015 5:14 pm

rebapuck wrote:Can the beeswax go on over an already existing oil based coating?

I will answer that with a definitive yes. I did nothing special to many of my pieces just warmed and coated them.

I am sure other will have other opinions but it worked just fine for me.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron