Lantern and Stove Safety/ lighting tips

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Lantern and Stove Safety/ lighting tips

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Here is some safety information provided by The Coleman Company, Inc., and some additional things people learned--the hard way.

1. Follow instructions and warnings to avoid possible injury or property damage.
2. Provide ample ventilation for persons and fuel burning appliances occupying the same enclosed area.
3. Never alter in any way or use with any device or part not expressly approved by Coleman.
4. Use the same care with Coleman fuel as you would with gasoline.
5. Store fuel in a clean, properly marked metal container away from flame (including pilot lights), other sources of ignition, or excessive heat.
6. Keep out of the reach of children.
7. Never use a fuel not intended for the appliance. Don't use kerosene in a gas lantern or visa-versa.
8 Never use a tank or fount that has had solder-repair or has any sort of structural defect. Using POR15 or anything else to seal a cracked lantern fount or stove tank is unacceptable.
9 Never start to unscrew the fuel cap while the appliance is burning or is too hot to touch.
10. Never place fuel containers near an appliance that is burning or too hot to touch. Keep your fuels a long ways away.
11. Never operate or work on an appliance without an approved fire extinguisher within arm's reach. Always know exactly where it is.
12. Do Not run a lamp or lantern with a hole in the mantle or mantles.
13. Tilt the lamp/lantern or stove tank about 30 degrees when depressurizing, fuel filler cap facing up. This will ensure that air is released, not a dangerous spray of fuel.
14. If you get fuel on your hands, wash them immediately.
15. Ensure that your appliance does not have any leaks before you attempt to light it.
16. Use the new 1-piece fuel caps when operating an appliance; 3-piece caps should only be used for display.
17. Look for unsafe conditions and correct them before there is an accident.
18. Wear eye protection when working on appliances.
19. THINK safety
rainjer
King Koleman

Rule #8

Postby doitright » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Rule #8 8 Never use a tank or fount that has had solder-repair or has any sort of structural defect. Using POR15 or anything else to seal a cracked lantern fount or stove tank is unacceptable.

Coleman Tanks are not brass as my Tank. The steel tanks will not take to the solder and they should not be repaired. I did test my brass tank with 60 lbs of air with no problems or leaks but it is still a repaired tank. If I find a new tank I will buy it but until then I will have to use the one I have as long as it will hold 60 lbs. of pressure. I have put a lot of work into the stove that I have. At home I do not display my camping stuff. I use all my old stuff when camping and if it dose not work I do not take it with me.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:30 pm

I got Planovets post of Handyman Keith lighting some Coleman products. Doug

Lantern lighting here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltYevzE2Ms

Typical stove lighting techniques. here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkx0DtXl ... re=related
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby teardrop_focus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 am

16. Use the new 1-piece fuel caps when operating an appliance; 3-piece caps should only be used for display.

Can anyone expand on this suggestion and tell us "why" exactly? I would think the 3-piece (cap, insert w/ gasket and screw) remains a nice feature.

I've certainly used the 3-piece to good effect... and, no; I won't repeat the story here...

:lol: :NC :phew:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Re: Rule #8

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 am

doitright wrote:The steel tanks will not take to the solder ......

Virtually anthing can be "repaired" by someone who understands materials, chemistry, and has the right equipment. If properly prepared steel will accept solder just fine. I wouldn't use soft solder to repair a Coleman tank but there are materials that would be perfectly acceptable IMHO. I'm not sure what POR15 is, but it sounds like one of the miracle products hawked by the late Bille May that are practically useless (IMHO).

Cheers,

Gus
Last edited by eamarquardt on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 pm

As I understand it the switch to a one piece cap came about from possible fire issues that surfaced in the late 60s. The 3 piece ones have a bleed hole in the side that the pressure vents through. If opened on a hot appliance there was a chance of a stream of pressurized fuel spraying on a hot parts and igniting. Coleman changed the design and ordered all repair facilities to change the caps to one piece models on anything brought in for service no matter the vintage. That's the reasoning for the change that I've been told anyway.

As outlined in Rainjer's original post, in all aspects of pressurized appliances caution should always be excercised. Never open a cap on a hot one, period. And even when cool do it slowly. One should never forget we are literally playing with fire.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Lantern and Stove Safety/ lighting tips

Postby Teardropsrock » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Great post. You can never be too safe. Some of my rules are to use a long type wooden match to somewhat preheat the generator, always light the lantern outdoors or near an exit, never use old fuel, never light a lantern on top or close to anything that can catch fire easily and be ready to simply turn the fuel valve 1/4 turn to the right if it flames up too much, understand that the generator must get hot before it generates vapour instead of raw fuel, watch for leaking fuel after attempting to light a lantern, put your thumb over the pump handle when pushed down to see if it pushes back up releasing air because of a leaking check valve, tighten the pump handle after pumping to prevent the check valve from leaking, understand the generator might be plugged and understand that the air vent having a spider web inside of it can cause flame ups and always make sure the fuel cap is tight. A lantern can be pumped up without fuel to test it. Open the valves and listen for air coming out. If it doesn't, you have a problem. If it does you can put it under water and check for air leaks, which would leak air or fuel. Here is how I air test lanterns without fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq9PK6X0Xak

I'm smart and safety oriented, but I did not know many of the things we have listed when I started collecting. That is the great thing about a forum like this. Information can be shared.

:thumbsup:
Teardropsrock
Teardrop Builder

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment