Loving my DO's, but question?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: Loving my DO's, but question?

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:20 am

I have heard it wasn't a big seller and has been discontinued.

Whether that is correct or not I can't truly say.

All I know is I am making a big ol' bird for our October gathering :D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby citylights » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:52 am

bobhenry wrote:I have heard it wasn't a big seller and has been discontinued.

Whether that is correct or not I can't truly say.

All I know is I am making a big ol' bird for our October gathering :D

The original company stopped producing, but camp chef picked it up. Still available.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-UDO-14-Ultimate-Dutch-Quarts/dp/B0007LNJ4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407847853&sr=8-1&keywords=Ultimate+Dutch+oven
citylights
500 Club

Postby honeask » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:19 pm

John, I have to agree with some and disagree with others on the sizes of DO. We initially got a 12" that we use routinely (only 2 of us) and somewhere along the line we got two 10" DO, one is more shallow than the other. Then I found the 6" one at an antique store. It is the only one that is not a Lodge. Lately I have been wanting a 14" DO for various reasons. We do entertain at times and always include DO cooking when we can. Do we really need to explain why we want them though? I don't know how I'm gonna break it to my husband about the 14" one yet but it's gonna happen. :thinking: Also we got an enamel Lodge DO at Kroger's last year, it is burgundy (I'm sure they were that color because it was at a Kroger near Texas A&M and that is their color) and it was regular $89.00 for $39.00. They had several of them at that time. I keep my eyes out for another sale as it would make a great gift for someone. Get a bigger one if you want, you'll use it.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:59 pm

citylights wrote:Thanks for the oil pan suggestion, I have two of those and have been using them. I just thought I might like getting the DO up to counter height. I found a DO table in the store. $80 and heavy! I didn't get it, but maybe someday...

I also looked at some big DO. A 14 inch was lodge, but that was the biggest lodge they had. They also had an off brand 16 inch. I think the 16 would do the whole turkey... I think. But they are too big and heavy and I think I would only use it once a year. Unless somebody convinces me otherwise, I will go with a 12-inch deep DO. If I cook a whole turkey, I will take a cleaver to it and make it fit!

OMG! Dinner was so good tonight! I fried some double smoked Black Forest bacon in a Dutch Oven, removed the bacon and browned some flower tossed turkey breast pieces, then I put three sliced potatoes, a jumble of carrot chunks, a sliced onion, a cup of chicken broth, and a half cup of water, and the bacon back in, salt, pepper, covered and simmered for 45 minutes. Dutch Oven Turkey Stew! OMG, so good!

We use our Lodge 14" deep all the time now when we have the kids home or other company coming for dinner.....ideal for 6 to 8 people.
But you must get an 8" lodge DO. Rice!.......what a wonderful way to make perfect rice while camping (and no clean up!)
Also dessert for three?......PERFECT!!!
Our 12" Regular was our first and we will always Love it (perfect for DO Pot Lucks at Gatherings), but we have decided that eating for two while camping or travelling, Our 10" is the answer.
So to answer your question........Just get them All!
They all have their place if you enjoy DO cooking as much as we have become to.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:52 am

Vedette wrote:
citylights wrote:Thanks for the oil pan suggestion, I have two of those and have been using them. I just thought I might like getting the DO up to counter height. I found a DO table in the store. $80 and heavy! I didn't get it, but maybe someday...

Brian & Sandi

Mean while grab a walker and a satellite dish :laughter:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby PSBreen » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:54 am

I'm surprised that someone hasn't already mentioned this. You can use your DO inside a Weber Smokey Joe Portable Charcoal Grill. They are about $30 at most stores. You can set it on a picnic table to get it off the ground without fear of burning the table too. Plus when you aren't using it as a DO stand you can grill on it. See http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=60220&p=1084045&hilit=smokey+joe#p1084045
Steve & Cynthia
PSBreen
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:43 pm

John we are having a Gathering at Cathedral George State Park Sept 20 I'm going up the 17th and camp tell the 21 or 22nd do lots of DO cooking feel free to come on up and join us
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby highdesertranger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:29 pm

the d.o. tables are great gets everything off the ground and up to counter top height. makes it a lot easier to cook. however they are a little heavy. harbor freight dutch ovens, really. what else is in the cast iron. I wouldn't buy anything from hf, let alone cookware. highdesertranger
highdesertranger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:45 am

Ya just gotta love cast iron snobs.......

I bet if I fixed you the exact same meal in the iron of your choice and the little harbor freight pot you could not tell the difference.

I have a Korean cast iron skillet that will fry an egg like a skater on a frozen pond.

I think the skill of the cast iron cook comes more from the seasoning of the finish and the basic time and temperature control.

Far too much emphasis is on the cookware and not the cook.

Perhaps this allows the impatient and unskilled cook to have some one to blame, a poor misguided pot.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby lrrowe » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:15 pm

This Lodge cast iron kit ad just hit my inbox today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lodge-5-piece-C ... 1140253538

Is this a good deal?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby DrCrash » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:36 pm

It is a pretty good deal but the dutch oven does not have legs and the lid is domed with no flange. Charcoal wont sit on top very well. It looks to be a set you would use in a modern kitchen to me.
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby lrrowe » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks DrCrash,

I did not catch that detail. I will continue to wait for the right one.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:25 am

Nice set for the money.......Image

and remember there are creative ways around anything.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Loving my DO's, but question?

Postby GerryS » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:50 am

Call me a snob...when it comes to cooking on cast, it's USA made or not at all. I have no reason to doubt lodge...but ANYTHING that comes from china or any of the Asian countries, (except perhaps Japan) I have incredible distrust for.

Some one there decided to save money by putting melamine in dog food. Seriously? Plastic?

So if you want to take that chance go ahead. I'll pass....

Before you say it, yes some heirloom cast iron has toxins as well....but they aren't put there with full knowledge of their harmful nature and the intent to just save a few yuan.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DrCrash » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:06 am

are you saying they would deliberately melt down radioactive containment vessels to make cooking pots ?
DrCrash
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron