RV Show in Albuquerque, Not Going

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

RV Show in Albuquerque, Not Going

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:31 pm

There's an RV show in Albuquerque yesterday and today. Just looking at the ads on tv told me there's no reason to go. It showed what looked like acres of the huge Grayhound-sized RVs parked side by side out of sight.

So, just as a rhetorical question, if the average working American makes $20ksomething a year, and the average American household earns $50ksomething a year, how many households can afford a $40k-$80K RV that they are going to use 3-5 times a summer, and which they have to pay storage fees on for the rest of the year because their HOA doesn't allow them to park it in the neighborhood or even in the driveway?

I don't suppose the RV industry is whining that their clients are graying and they are having trouble interesting the next generation in buying into these white elephants?

And camp trailers/travel trailers aren't any better. Buy most of the commercial ones and you also have to buy a new truck to pull them, because no normal vehicle can tow anything that heavy! Truck and trailer and you're back over $50k again!

Clearly the RV industry caters to the 1%, and a few of the 5% who are wanna-bees. Even my wanna-bee uncle finally gave up on his 20-yo RV as it got shabbier and shabbier and he couldn't afford to replace it with anything younger. He does rent an RV every other year to drive to our family reunions, camping on the way. (He won't get to do that next summer, he is the host and it's too close to home to warrant the RV.)

My grandpa's trailer gave me the idea of building my own tent-top trailer. I want to thank you all for giving me the idea of building my own hard-sided trailer, and the encouragement to try again after the first one. We are the reality, NOT the RV industry!
:D :wine:
Catherine
Last edited by Catherine+twins on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Re: RV Show in Albuquerque, Not Going

Postby Mary C » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:04 pm

:applause: :wine: so true!

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:06 am

I've had this same discussion with my wife. Both of us make a good living....above the average. But there's no way we could possibly afford another house payment. It costs an amazing amount just to keep the lights on in the house.

Food. Roof, gasoline. And utilities 100% consumes 1 income, and we live in a modest house by standards of our city...it would be different if we lived in a 3600sq ft house with an acre of land with a 3 car garage filled with new furniture and new cars in the garage. But we don't....it's a 1700 sq ft ranch on .2 acres with an attached 2 car and 8 year old jeep and a 3 year old Subaru.

An RV would take care of the rest if we made that choice. Is sickening to see the financial hosing that is happening here. What's more sad is wathching young folk take the bait.

One of my younger work friends just did....he'll never be able to pay that debt off...and that's without an RV.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:08 am

While I'm sure you're right for some RV owners, please don't paint everyone with that brush...

My dad has been a dedicated RV and trailer camper all of his life. He is a retired mechanic, just a regular guy. He and mom always camped 10-12 weekends a year plus vacations. Now that he is retired and mom is no longer with us, it's not uncommon for me to be watching his place for a month while he is off fishing and camping.

Of course, you'd never see him at an RV show, either. I think the newest trailer he ever bought was around ten years old, and I know the last one he bought was their most expensive at $11,000.

People buying new RV's and campers are the same folks buying new cars. An $80,000 RV or a $60,000 truck, what's the difference? You've paid at least double what you should have for both, you will be tired of both in a year, and both have a short useful life.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Verna » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 am

I 'm one of those who really don't care what you camp in, as long as you feel you are camping and having fun. I don't camp in tents anymore, but my nephew and great nephews have a blast in my old SUV tent. I have friends full- timing in a 40' RV and they 're having the time of their life. I camp in a Little Guy manufactured teardrop and I'm having the time of my life (except for that blown tire Saturday night....). As long as we all enjoy what we 're doing, that's all that matters.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:02 pm

jstrubberg wrote:While I'm sure you're right for some RV owners, please don't paint everyone with that brush...

My dad has been a dedicated RV and trailer camper all of his life. He is a retired mechanic, just a regular guy. He and mom always camped 10-12 weekends a year plus vacations. Now that he is retired and mom is no longer with us, it's not uncommon for me to be watching his place for a month while he is off fishing and camping.

He's not the "average American" I'm talking about, obviously. In fact, he's one of the "graying" clients the RV industry needs to replace. He's retired, must have an adequate income for the leisure time, and he HAS THE TIME. He is where I want to be 20 years from now!

Of course, you'd never see him at an RV show, either. I think the newest trailer he ever bought was around ten years old, and I know the last one he bought was their most expensive at $11,000.

People buying new RV's and campers are the same folks buying new cars. An $80,000 RV or a $60,000 truck, what's the difference? You've paid at least double what you should have for both, you will be tired of both in a year, and both have a short useful life.

More power to your dad for being economical with his camping lifestyle!

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby rebapuck » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:43 pm

I've always wondered about these young newlyweds who buy a McMansion. How can they afford it? I can't and I worked hard for 45 yrs.

I guess we can thank the banks and all that credit they are so willing to hand out....unless you need it of course.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby GerryS » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:13 am

Seeing the 20 or 30 something's pulling up in a class a pusher always reminds me of a commercial that ran on tv years ago. The guy is riding a new lawn mower, talking about his new house, new car, his "perfect"
Life including the golf club membership...it ends with his perfect smile saying "and I'm
In debt up to my ears. Please help"

Our society is so broken...people have bought the lie that stuff makes you happy...it doesn't. It holds you captive.

I'm perfectly happy with what I have. I'm just unhappy that I've only been out for 2 weeks plus a couple gatherings....no time to enjoy the outdoors this summer :(
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Off Topic