Composit aluminum sheet

Finishes, paints and coatings

Composit aluminum sheet

Postby Martiangod » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:50 pm

composit aluminum sheet
http://www.alucobond.com/alucobond-star ... 7Cid%7C%3B
It is cool stuff to work with, little pricey but the stability of the product is amazing.
Cuts easy with jigsaw, skill saw or router
The product has structural stability and would negate the need to have ply under it. fasten right to the framing.
And if you read up on routing and folding it, you don't need a metal break and you could save on trim doing folded corners
http://www.alucobond.com/plus-routing-f ... %2Fcategor

I just skinned my old truck camper with it, was left over pieces from our signage for the building.
couple hundred bucks a sheet is not excessive for the final outcome. It has structural stability, cuts so friggin easy. Bends well,
Should check with sign shops in your area, never know what they may have kicking around. You can also get it woodgrain for the interior or a Woody build...and it will never rot or delaminate.
If I ever build again, it will be very high on my list. :twisted:
The one thing I hate about my current build is oilcanning of the .o40 aluminum :thumbdown:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Re: Composit aluminum sheet

Postby michaelrsydney » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:15 am

You are right, well worth the money as it allows you to skip several steps . Also remarkably easy to work with as it bends well and can be folded if routed on the reverse side.

I find it works well in a hot climate too. My TD uses a roof with the composite aluminium, then an air gap, foil faced foam insulation and a plywood interior. The interior surface stays cool.

I am buying 8 x 4 sheets in Australia at around $100 each. Two sheets did my roof and hatch plus an offcut for the bench top.

Michael
Sydney
Australia

Frog and Toad
michaelrsydney
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jonw » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:33 am

A similar product I plan on using if I do another build is Nudo AlumaCorr: http://www.nudo.com/p_alumacorr.php

Seems to have many of the same properties and my be (or not) less expensive.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dean_petley » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:18 am

im using it on my build it costs about
$100 a sheet on average but i found a guy who sells it from $34 + gst for a 2400 x 1200 sheet
i picked up 5 for my build
have funn
dean_petley
Teardrop Builder

Postby dean_petley » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:48 am

michaelrsydney wrote:You are right, well worth the money as it allows you to skip several steps . Also remarkably easy to work with as it bends well and can be folded if routed on the reverse side.

I find it works well in a hot climate too. My TD uses a roof with the composite aluminium, then an air gap, foil faced foam insulation and a plywood interior. The interior surface stays cool.

I am buying 8 x 4 sheets in Australia at around $100 each. Two sheets did my roof and hatch plus an offcut for the bench top.

did you have to join any sheets together ?

i am still thinking as to how to best join the sheets
have funn
dean_petley
Teardrop Builder

Postby michaelrsydney » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:03 am

dean_petley wrote:did you have to join any sheets together ?

i am still thinking as to how to best join the sheets

I maybe cheated a little! I considered joining as a full sheet fell approx 150mm short of reaching from hatch hinge to front edge. In the end I added an additional spar to the front vertical section and but joining two sheets there with clear silicon in the "gap".

The extra spar helped to stiffen the inner lining at the head of the bed and the join is mostly behind the spare wheel.
Michael
Sydney
Australia

Frog and Toad
michaelrsydney
Teardrop Advisor

Postby backstrap bandit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:35 am

Hey does anyone glue their aluminum down or just let it float and if you do what type of glue r u useing :?
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby backstrap bandit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:37 am

Hey does anyone glue their aluminum down or just let it float and if you do what type of glue r u useing :?
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby jonw » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:20 am

I just let it float on mine. In fact, I didn't back it with any plywood except on the hatch.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jlw » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Does anyone know of a supplier of these sheets in Southern Ontario. I prefer to source materials from my home province, but if not available here I will go across the river. Does anyone know of a supplier if these sheets in Western New York?
jlw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sheddie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:06 am

We used the same sort of board here in New Zealand as well. We got it through Ullrich Aluminium. As we are slightly over 4ft high on our profile we used 1.5m x 3m (5ft x 10ft) sheets for the sides, $138 each. They are ready finished in red one side and yellow on the other, we used the red. No time wasted with painting. For the roof we used a 1.5m x 4.8m (5ft x 15.75ft) sheet $218. White finish, it did the roof and hatch with no joins. We have solid ply sides with a few holes cut out. The board was glued to the ply, the only screws were what holds the doors. The roof was glued direct to the roof beams, and glued and screwed around the edges. Some of the off cuts were used for the drawer fronts. Would not hesitate to use it again.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mgb4tim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:12 am

http://www.lairdplastics.com/product/brands/alucobond.html

Laird Plastics in Rochester has it.
1640 Emerson St
ROCHESTER, NY

jlw wrote:Does anyone know of a supplier of these sheets in Southern Ontario. I prefer to source materials from my home province, but if not available here I will go across the river. Does anyone know of a supplier if these sheets in Western New York?
mgb4tim
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jlw » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks for the link

I found out they have a few Canada locations. I have sent an email to the Mississauga branch.
jlw
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets