Working on the Decor--Part 4

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Working on the Decor--Part 4

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Hello everyone! Been too busy to work on the camper---been to "Cooler Near the Lake" the end of April, and since then have taken middle of the week trips (Tues, Wed, Thurs) to Governor Dodge State Park twice, Perrot State Park twice and Wyalusing State Park (all in Wisconsin) once. Have 5 or 6 more teardrop adventures planned before the weather gets too cold. Was going to hit the teardrop trail again this Tuesday, but decided to get some projects done instead.

Sneak previews of what I'm doing:

Decided to paint the galley with exterior semi-gloss, close to the same color of the original wood. Would be easier to wipe up spills, keep surfaces more sanitary. In this picture, I've painted the inside of the galley hatch and the edges of the shelves. Original color shows up in the unpainted area behind sliding shelf handle. Since then, I've gotten more of the galley done, may put peel and stick tiles on the floor of galley. Will post photo when completely done.

Last edited by Backroads4me on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Re: Working on the Decor--Part 4

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:06 am

Started work on my two zippered screen doors. While the screens in the windows and doors are OK, they don't open all the way, and I need more air flow at night! Bob doesn't like the sound of the fan, says it keeps him up--didn't bother me a bit though. Also, the original door screens are at the bottom of the door :thumbdown: and the screens are being pushed out of their splines.

I decided to use some of the forest green nylon fabric originally intended for my luggable loo/changing room. Used heavy duty pet proof nylon screen (sturdy, but still flexible enough to roll up and secure when not in use. Used two zippers to meet in the middle, on the bottom, and sewed the nylon fabric on the bottom edge of screen door for strength.

At this point, I'm almost done on one of them---still have to put black nylon trim around outside zipper edge, and window edge. Photo flash made nylon fabric look lighter and bluer than it actually is. When I start the second one, I'll take and post some more detailed photos on how everything is cut out and sewn.

Last edited by Backroads4me on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:20 am

After much contemplating, I finally decided to paint the interior of the teardrop. I know how most guys are dead set against painting wood, but Bob was OK with it. If it had been wainscoting, or better grained, etc., I would have just color stained it a darker antique maple or something. Anyway, we had quite a few sample bottles of paint from last summer's house painting project, and picked out a few more from our local Menards. Tried some on for size. Photo montage shows all the non-contenders at this point. Will work on getting it done this week. I'll probably mix all the non-contenders together and use them up for the first coat. Just love those little sample bottles!

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:21 am

"Also, the original door screens are at the bottom of the door :thumbdown: and the screens are being pushed out of their splines."

Are those doors in upside down? The screen should be on the top.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:57 am

tony.latham wrote:"Also, the original door screens are at the bottom of the door :thumbdown: and the screens are being pushed out of their splines."

Tony

I asked that very question before purchasing the teardrop. All TCTeardrops with the old style windows (like mine) were placed in with the screen on the bottom. From photos of TCTs with the newer style door (less window area, wider metal space around glass), it appears they're placed in the same way (window on bottom). Todd (of TCteardrops) was of the opinion that there was less chance of rain coming in between windows with the screen side down. :thinking:
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:02 am

tony.latham wrote:"Also, the original door screens are at the bottom of the door :thumbdown: and the screens are being pushed out of their splines."

Tony

That should probably be easy enough to fix. Simply switch sides with each door and flip the doors around so the screen is on the top. A little latch adjustment and problem solved, right? :thinking:

However, it looks like you did a great job on those tent-style door screens...looks professionally done! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:01 am

Tony, Sharon----We asked TCT about the possibility of swapping the windows to the other side, with screens on top, but they advised against it. Don't know if they had problems with their prototype or earlier builds. I looked all over the net for other builders who use this type of door, and all I could find (including Ebay sellers) was screen side down.
Tony, I see from your photos you have the screen side up top. No problems with heavy rain pooling or seepage during driving rains? Anyway, at this point, I'll put in my full size screen doors, and replace/respline the regular door screens, leave it at that. We always have the tear under an Ezup when we camp, and I'd rather have the doors open wide for the maximum of air flow.

Sharon, thanks for the compliment. I have some experience with commercial sewing (as well as household) and found a website that showed step-by-step how to sew a clear vinyl window into a covered boat enclosure. Dang if I can find it on my computer now---have to get going to work. Will look it up later and post for those who might want to do this themselves---was very helpful in planning out what to cut :frightened: and sew first on my screen door project.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:30 am

Found it! This is from a whole slew of DIY videos from the Sailrite Corp. May be best to get sewing ideas from this than what I could possibly photograph and post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq4lz2vZRhw
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:11 pm

Deb:

"Tony, I see from your photos you have the screen side up top. No problems with heavy rain pooling or seepage during driving rains? "

The quick and dirty answer is no. Our annual precip here is 10" and most of that is snow in the winter and it wears it's cover during that period. Oddly, in the last thirty days, we've gotten 2" –and no water in the cabin (or galley for that matter). But I've only had this 'drop, for a year and we've trailered through a heavy rainfall for maybe five minutes at the max. You'll note there are drain holes in the door (on your bottoms and at the tops of mine). I'm going to plug them and put drain holes in the bottom of mine.

Frankly, I assumed I'd installed them correctly but was scratching my head over the drain holes.

I built a 4x8 'drop for my sister this spring and put the same doors on and of course screen-side up. I see that her's has an extra gasket on the inside of the frame and I'll probably add something similar since we get a bit of dust through ours. Her drop went through the same five-minute downpour and I heard no complaints of water.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:14 pm

AND THE WINNER IS: THIS COLOR COMBO!

Top two photos are of what I see from the left and to the right of my little dormer window computer area. Dawned on me that we had at least a half gallon each of the top and bottom wall paint left. Tried it in the TD and decided to go with it. First coat is done, will do the second tomorrow. The flash made the ceiling look whiter than it is.
Not sure yet what I'll paint or do with the cabinet/sliding doors.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Your PC area is really pretty and it works in your TD, too! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Backroads4me » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks for the kind words Sharon :) When I have the windows open in my craft/computer room,---the wall colors, in combination with the trees outside, make me feel like I'm in a treehouse. Very soothing for me. Kind of the same effect in the teardrop. Even with the second coat, there'll be enough paint left over if I ever need to do a touch up in either place! Now if I could only come up with something to do with an almost full roll of that pinecone border. Maybe cut some of them out and decoupage them on the cabinet doors? :thinking:
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:36 am

Deb:

Back from another teardrop adventure. The first evening it rained until wee in the morning. Odd in this neck of the woods for August. We awoke with a half inch in the dog dishes that had been left outside. Not a drop came through our windows.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Ahhhh, my kind of campfire. :thumbsup:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:00 pm

lrrowe wrote:Ahhhh, my kind of campfire. :thumbsup:

Never walk away from a good camp fire.

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers