installing inside skin?

Finishes, paints and coatings

installing inside skin?

Postby tyellow57 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi all From Central Cali

Hope you all are having a great Labor Day. I was going to install my inside skin or ceiling tomorrow, what ever it is called. I was thinking about gluing to the spars as I nailed or should I not glue? Which is best. Also should I use nails or screws?

Thanks Troy
tyellow57
Teardrop Inspector

Re: installing inside skin?

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Glue 'em as you go. I use construction adhesive and a 1/4" pneumatic crown stapler. The PL Premium glue will give you 45 minutes working time. Dunno about liquid nails. If I had to choose between nails and screws, I'd go with screws. But you can buy a 1/4" crown stapler at Harbor Freight for $20 assuming you have access to a compressor.

If you are building outside, you should be able to see your spars through your (1/8"?) ceiling material –if your building in the sun. If not, a bright flashlight held on the outside will show you where your spars are at when you're inside.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tyellow57 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:47 pm

Tony, Thank you. That's what I was thinking just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I raised my walls today and screwed and glued in my spars. Was just thinking, I should have waited a bit and put the spars in as I put in my ceiling. Hope they have 1/8 maple to match the inside of my walls. Don't think 1/4 will bend very well.

Thank you again Tony
tyellow57
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tyellow57 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Well I am having trouble putting in my ceiling panel. Having a heck of a time finding what I want to put in. I finally found a piece of paneling that was like knotty pine I guess, cut it to width. As I was installing it wrinkled. I laid it in the driveway for an hour to heat up, didn't want to put hot water on it, sense it is made of paper I think. Going to check on another store tomorrow sense they not open on Labor Day. Hoping I can find something better there.

Will this paper paneling be ok? I know that I could not get 1/4" Maple to make the bend, I'm afraid if I cut kerfs in the back of the 1/4" it would break.

Any help much appreciated, Thanks Troy
tyellow57
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Save yourself some grief and use 1/8" plywood for your ceiling.
Use prop up sticks to hold it place until the glue dries, no fasteners are required that way.

It's too late for you to do it now but, I install my ceiling on a 1/4" deep plow from the top before the spars are installed, makes life a lot easier and a super tight ceiling seam.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tyellow57 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:24 am

Halfdome Danny

Thanks I am just very limited in types of1/8 ply wood I am hoping that this one place will have something that I like.
I saw what you are talking about on a website it would have been a lot easier. I was thinking about taking out my spars on top and then attach to the front and then bend the plywood down one spar at a time after the others dried. Would take awhile but I could work on the galley that way or inside cabinets.

Happy Camping Troy
tyellow57
Teardrop Inspector

Postby coyote » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:09 am

Too late, I bet... But I used 1/8 plywood, measured, predrilled and put three equally spaced screws at every rib. I have ribs every 8 inches back to galley. Here is a poor image, but I glued, propped up and screwed the panel down. So far so good.123955. That's the top vent hole you see, and with some imagination you can make out the rows of screws.
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets