Canvas, TBIII On Exterior Plywood

Finishes, paints and coatings

Canvas, TBIII On Exterior Plywood

Postby Danidog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:32 am

Hi,
I am at the point that I need to decide what to use to protect the outside of my TTT. I've used a bit of fiberglass and 'poxy for boats and I am familiar with that process. But, I am really interested in the canvas/glue on plywood process (and I really like the textured look of the canvas as a siding). I went through Mike's tests using different materials but still have a few questions.

Does the canvas/glue stop checking in plywood or does it just cover it up?

In hindsight, I realize that I should have covered the plywood walls before standing them up, but, since I am past that, is it practical or feasible to cover the vertical sides using staples along the borders to hold it in place while I apply the glue?

I saw that one person (can't remember the username, but he created an instructable (sp?) for paint on canvas on plywood), Is that as permanent and waterproof as TBIII?

I don't think my original plan of getting out this fall is going to happen, the more I do to the TTT the more I see that needs to be done. :?

Thanks in advance,

Dani
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Canvas, TBIII On Exterior Plywood

Postby desertmoose » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 am

We did our plywood with Titebond 2, canvas, and then exterior paint. Use the glue to fasten the canvas to the plywood. Roll it on, them smooth the canvas into place. Let it dry. You are now done with the Titebond. On top of the BARE canvas, put a coat of exterior house paint thinned about 50% so it soaks into the canvas. After that dries, use full strength paint until you get the look and coverage you want. Ours took 4 coats.

Titebond 2 works great. No need for the more expensive Titebond 3 since it is protected by the paint.

Others have used the Titebond on top of the canvas to try and cover the surface. But glue isn't made to cover, it sticks things together. Use it as intended and stick the canvas to the plywood. Then use the paint like it was intended, cover for waterproofing, appearance, and protection.

We used exterior latex. others have used exterior oil based. Our experience with the latex has been great. 2-1/2 years in the Nevada sun, snow, rain, and thousands of miles of towing. If I ever build another trailer, I WILL use the painted canvas covering. :thumbsup:

Sam

desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby Danidog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:25 pm

Thank you Sam, and I do believe it was your instructable I saw earlier. I love the way our TD looks with canvas.

Went to HD and purchased the canvas and one gal of TBII to start after reading your reply.

Again, thanks for the information,

Dan
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby coquitlamglenn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:37 pm

What Sam said!

He actually inspired me to use canvas - and I will also be using it again.

The start of my build journal: I have a basic primer on how to use canvas and paint.
http://hipstercamping.blogspot.ca/

IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_5864.JPG (61.61 KiB) Viewed 11887 times
coquitlamglenn
Teardrop Builder

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:15 pm

Is canvassing around things such as windows and doors just a matter of cutting out the right shape?
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby coquitlamglenn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:35 am

Is canvassing around things such as windows and doors just a matter of cutting out the right shape?

Basically, yes. I did some very intricate detail work around my doors and hatch. The nice thing about canvas is that you can pull it, stretch it, poke it, manipulate it - I even sometimes used a low-medium iron to help set the canvas and glue in particularly difficult spots.

If I know a particular detail would be challenging, I sometimes mocked the detail up first to see if it was possible. If you are interested in using this technique, I highly recommend trying it out on scrap plywood and any fabric and paint. You quickly get the hand of it.

Sometimes you won't be able to a detail in one piece. A nice clean seam, with a bit of overlap is to be expected - just work as neat as you can.
coquitlamglenn
Teardrop Builder

Postby Fyddler » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:36 pm

I used muslin instead of canvas. I used slightly watered down TB2 both as a bottom coat and rolled it on top to totally soak the muslin. I had issues with bubbling of the muslin so I just kept rolling it out with a paint roller until they quit popping up.
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby rowerwet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:57 pm

four years later and the PMF (poor mans fiberglass- the instructable) is going strong, still doesn't need any paint and the plywood underneath is doing just fine.
if you read the I'ble, I mention having to peel some fabric back to reinstall the modified tear on the trailer, the painted fabric ripped the top of the wood off with it. the plywood is fully sheathed (just like epoxy) and does not check or splinter underneath.
I have done the process two different ways, using paint to glue the fabric onto the wood (oops paint at 5-7 dollars a gallon) or TBII. They both stick the canvas to the wood (my tear is done with the paint as glue method, and the bond tore the wood), either way you want to get some oops exterior paint to fill the canvas, then top coat it with the color you want. (saves money)
TBIII is overkill for waterproofing, the exterior paint will do the real waterproofing, and unless your tear is floating for weeks, TBII and exterior paint will do the job. The paint won't know the difference between stormy days on a house, and 60 mph in the rain.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:12 pm

be_a_jayhawk wrote:Is canvassing around things such as windows and doors just a matter of cutting out the right shape?
I just glued the canvas onto the side of the tear, got it all stuck, then used a razor blade to cut a slit up the middle of the door, then a slit running out to each corner, then I glued the canvas back into the recess the door sits into (rounding off the edge with a router helps the fabric glue in around a corner) I only trimmed it off flush at the inside edge of the inner ring. (my doors sit flush with an inner ring for it to seal against) this looks nicer IMO, and is important for keeping the bottom of the recess sealed against water.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:31 pm

While I haven't used canvas on my walls, I have used both Titebond II and Titebond III. From my experience, the main difference between Titebond II and Titebond III is the drying time. Titebond III gives you more drying time and, therefore, more working time. If you're going to thin the glue with water, you've increased your drying and working time anyway. Therefore, I say use the Titebond II.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby crumvoc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:00 pm

Danidog wrote:
Does the canvas/glue stop checking in plywood or does it just cover it up?

Don't know, but I built a small plywood and epoxy/fiberglass sheathed boat that lived out-of-doors for 12 years and the fir plywood never erupted any checking...

Good luck on your project...
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Hopefully will canvass this weekend. Can anyone estimate how much TB2 I will need?
5x10 for 4
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=58717
5x10 for 4
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 am

Get a couple gallons, you don't need it that thick, but it is better to have too much than not enough. You can always return the extra.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:27 am

QUOTE: “ Does the canvas/glue stop checking in plywood “ .... Yes it does , especially on bent plywood as on a roof ,nose or hatch ... The canvas holds the top wood fibers together in place , while absorbing the Tension load on the plywood ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Is tite bond a PVA type glue as there is only one importer here and I'd assume it's more expensive than the numerous other brands here.
Secondly if I was to use a colored canvas could it be polyurethaned instead of paint or does the glue discolour the fabric.
Last edited by dales133 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to Skinning secrets