Cast Iron Storage

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Cast Iron Storage

Postby ae6black » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:31 pm

What's good to store Cast Iron In that's waterproof. The front storage compartment on my TD isn't water tight. While I normally store my cast iron in the basement during the off season and when not camping, I'd like to know what others transport their CI in that keeps it dry and safe.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cast Iron Storage

Postby bc toys » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:20 pm

I use those big blue tubs that look like something from tuperware but you have to unload it before lifting if full when i get my trailer done there will be storage bins for cast iron under the bed that pulls out for access but we done have very much humidity her in Vegas
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ae6black » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:54 pm

I already use those large tubs for storing my cooking ware and dishes and what not. I was just wondering what everyone else uses. A picture is worth a thousand words. Seeing what others have done has helped me come up with new ideas for my purposes. In the east we also have a humidity problem. I wonder if there's anything out there that would help keep CI from rusting on an extended road trip while it's being stored in one of those tubs. The large wooden box that I store everything in that's mounted in front of my TD is not weather proof by any means. 122662 Thanks for all your good ideas.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCAL » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:59 pm

I was also thinking of this. I came up with something that goes a little past storage. The only disappointment is a 12in will not fit but a 10in Lodge fits easy and I believe I can stack a 8in with the 10in.
Attachments
PICT0009.JPG
PICT0009.JPG (109.76 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
dutch oven kit (7).JPG
dutch oven kit (7).JPG (108.53 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
dutch oven kit (1).JPG
dutch oven kit (1).JPG (106.71 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
KCAL
Teardrop Inspector

Postby citylights » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:16 pm

If I am going to store mine for a long time, I warm them up and rub them down with bees wax. Stops the rust, doesn't go rancid. Transporting them in the teardrop? For just one, it's usually in the galley cubby. For a couple, I use a wooden crate that either goes in the tow vehicle or on the teardrop bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Beeswax-unbleached-Great-many/dp/B003UBK5II/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410401543&sr=8-5&keywords=Bees+wax
citylights
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:24 am

ae6black wrote:I wonder if there's anything out there that would help keep CI from rusting on an extended road trip while it's being stored in one of those tubs.

Art

I had a really silly notion just crawl into my head what if you placed rice in the plastic tote. It would cushion the tote from the legs possibly poking thru and capture the excess moisture at the same time.

I generally throw down a tarp and stack mine in the rear of the trailer for transport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At home they have their place of honor.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:39 am

My wife makes these. I have a wooden drawer in my teardrop that my DO rides in. I also have a 1/4" circle of plywood that rides below the DO. This is then used on the picnic table to protect it from the DO hot legs. She makes a fabric insert that protects the cast iron and also allows me to store more inside the oven. Works great.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron