rusted cast iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

rusted cast iron

Postby legojenn » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi:

Due to my return to university, my time and money have gone towards study. I haven't gone camping this year and it doesn't look likely that I will be able to go next year. I left my trailer packed in case I actually had time and money to go somewhere, but it never happened.

Anyhow, this weekend, I was cleaning up the camper and preparing it for winter and when I pulled out the cast iron frying pan, most of the sides on the inside and some of the surface where the cooking is done is all rusty. It's just surface rust; only iron, something our bodies need anyhow but it is disconcerting.

I would assume that some of the seasoning has dissolved or was never done correctly in the first place. Is this pan a write-off. Are there ways of bringing it back.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Re: rusted cast iron

Postby GerryS » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Cast iron is rarely a write off...unless it's warped or cracked....and warped in my place still gets used....

You need to do a deep cleaning....get back to bare metal....the easiest way I've found is to run it through a self cleaning cycle in the oven or through a dish washer cycle.

Then reseason.... The best method I've found is to season with beeswax....pure beeswax, with no additives like soy or paraffin. It's need documented elsewhere...

I was told about in on the campinn forums...best advise I've gotten for care of cast iron ever.

-G
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:59 am

legojenn wrote:Hi:

Due to my return to university, my time and money have gone towards study. I haven't gone camping this year and it doesn't look likely that I will be able to go next year. I left my trailer packed in case I actually had time and money to go somewhere, but it never happened.

Anyhow, this weekend, I was cleaning up the camper and preparing it for winter and when I pulled out the cast iron frying pan, most of the sides on the inside and some of the surface where the cooking is done is all rusty. It's just surface rust; only iron, something our bodies need anyhow but it is disconcerting.

I would assume that some of the seasoning has dissolved or was never done correctly in the first place. Is this pan a write-off. Are there ways of bringing it back.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

You should know this answer by heart by now. The light rusted skillets I have purchased I simply sand with some wet and dry sandpaper and wash well.

As Jerry said 100% bees wax can actually be applied on top of the stove get the iron almost white hot, turn off the heat, and drop in the bees wax and with a gloved hand and a big wad of paper towel apply it as evenly as possible all over. Inside outside and even the handle. A second heat can be added for another coating for the inside cooking surface but don't get the iron as hot. Total time should be less than 20 minutes and you are ready to cook. "Believe it or not"
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Corwin C » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:50 pm

The best way to take care of cast iron and prevent rust is to use it often. If you can't go camping, bring it into the kitchen. My iron sees constant use even though camping doesn't happen very often in recent years.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Return to Cast Iron