Fires in California

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Fires in California

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:58 pm

We have a couple of major fires going in California with one of them damaging and destroying many homes and business's is almost out thankfully. This is the one in Weed California up towards the Oregon border it was very fast and hot, destroying all in it's path, whole community's are nothing but ashes now. Weed sits at about 3400' and as you move north you run out of timber and forest real quick, that's what may have saved the fire from getting even wilder. Mount Shasta is to the south and being sparsely littered with trees probably helped too. Still a terrible loss. To all those affected my condolences go out to you and your family's.

The other fire is on the north side of Hwy 50 going east from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe near a town called Pollock Pines, though in mostly remote forest there are structures involved and it's burning north towards the Rubicon Trail area....... Hopefully they can get it controlled before it turns into another Rim Fire like we had in and outside of Yosemite National Park last year. When it was all said and done about 260,000 acres or 406 square miles were burnt in the Rim Fire.

Hats off for the Fire Fighters.... those guy's work hard under brutal conditions to tame these fires, and we are praying for their safe, quick return home.

:worship: :worship: :worship:
Last edited by Redneck Teepee on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Re: Fires in California

Postby Alan Wood » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 pm

One of my coworkers lives in Pollock Pines less than 2 miles from that fire. So far the winds have been in other directions but his house is closer to the main fire than some of the hot spots.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:43 am

I live up here...this pic was taken on Sunday AM. This fire is now over 70K acres and some of the best camping in the state is currently threatened. Fortunately the fire fighters have done an outstanding job and no homes so far have been lost. People up here are pretty good about clearing an area around their homes to help with any fire issues. Let's all hope this one gets out quickly, supposed to maybe rain today.

What's bad is that in addition to the news reporters, now we are getting "sightseers" that come up for a view.

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cherokeegeorge » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:04 am

That's the station we got gas a few weeks ago Doug, praying they get this out soon.
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:04 am

I am praying that the small rain system, that is just off the coast, dumps rain on these fires today, to help the fire fighters get things under control.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gage » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:16 pm

I've got a grandson up there doing his best. He's with Calfire.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Gage wrote:I've got a grandson up there doing his best. He's with Calfire.

Please thank him for us. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:27 pm

On the news today, the authority's have arrested and charged a 37 year old man for setting the fire. What led them to him they have not said yet.

What a shame, as if we don't already have enough dry dangerous conditions, someone has to light the forest on fire. We can only hope if convicted, they lock him up for a long time.

:applause: :applause: :applause: Good work by the authorities.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Alan Wood » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Given the prior convictions I am pretty sure that three strikes law will take him out of society for a suitably long time. At the moment it is a bit vague but it sounds like the questioning went well from our stand point. Might not be a confession but sounds like everything short of it.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Alan Wood » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Update:
It has been revealed that at least 4 homes have been destroyed. As far as I know my coworkers is not amongst them but still... This sucks especially if the fire investigators are correct about this being arson!
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Alan Wood » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:00 am

For those not in California the news over the weekend is good indeed. In the area of the fire around an inch of rain was received over the weekend which has put rather a dent in the fire. Containment last I heard was at 90%. Fire fighters are being sent home. It's not out yet but the situation is getting better. My coworkers home last I heard was still undamaged by the fire! :thumbsup:
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Off Topic