Registering a Teardrop in Arizona

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Registering a Teardrop in Arizona

Postby 66Cooper » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:01 pm

I would like to hear from others folks who have a teardrop in Arizona and how many of you have permanent registrations.

I purchased a Little Guy 5 wide, used and it had permanent tags and I changed the title and got a new permanent registration in my name, no problem.

I recently purchased a 1947 Kenskill from California and it had permanent registration there. BUT when I changed the title to my name in Arizona they told me that because it was a camp or tent trailer that I could not get a permanent tag for it. There is no stove or plumbing or even icebox, no 120 volt electric, or anything like that in the trailer. I can't find anything so far on line that defines what the "temporary living quarters" really means. I would have thought plumbing, or stove might have been required to call it living quarters, but the supervisor inside wouldn't budge. I was told by some that the lack of services in the trailer would determine if I could get the permanent tag, but this office in Tucson didn't agree.

Just looking for others experience and if anybody KNOWS where I can find anything officially that might help me get a permanent tag if possible, as I plan to keep this little gem for a long time.

Thanks!
66Cooper
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Registering a Teardrop in Arizona

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:31 pm

How did they know it was a teardrop? Inspection required maybe. I can tell you this here in California at the DMV, it all depends on who's window you go to and what kinda mood they are in.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/VehicleService ... gistration

If you go to this link it states that camper/tent trailers do not qualify, not sure of the definition of a camp trailer according to azdot.

Good luck! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby 66Cooper » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:45 pm

Yeah, that was all I could find also. I hoped to find something that would define what Travel trailer or camper/tent trailer means.

I think the big deal is that at least I got a title that says 1947 Kenskill Kustom Kamper, so that part is good at least. Yes, having an out of state vehicle coming in to Arizona we must have them inspected.
66Cooper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Maybe some of the AZ tear droppers on this site will chime in and help guide you in the right direction. :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:10 pm

66Cooper wrote:I purchased a Little Guy 5 wide, used and it had permanent tags and I changed the title and got a new permanent registration in my name, no problem.

What does the title for the Little Guy describe it as? If it says Camper, maybe the AZ law changed since that one was registered. It would be grandfathered with a permanent registration until such a time it was re-registered. ???

As for the '47, if they saw it and it had a mattress they would probably call it a camper. Similarly, my insurance told me if the cargo trailer had sleeping facilities in it it would need to be insured as a travel trailer. Also similar to recreational cabins, no matter how small, if the bldg insp sees sleeping arrangements they call it a dwelling and you need a bldg permit and have to follow all the rules just like for a regular full time residence. (In most states)

....just thoughts....
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ssrjim » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Depends on the inspector. I have had it both ways. If the inspector knows what it is it will be a camper. A couple of the guys drive all the way to flagstaff because they are looser with less lines.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 66Cooper » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:36 am

I guess I will be happy that I didn't have any problem getting it titled as what it is, 1947 Kenskill Kustom Kamper, and it was built a camping trailer and that is what I plan to do with it, so I live with that part.

I didn't have a mattress in it, in fact I had some tools and a step ladder in there when I took it for inspection. lol I hoped they would think it was a going to be a work trailer, they didn't pay any attention to the galley, but I was going to fill the drawers and cabinets with wrenches and screwdrivers and call them tool boxes. lol

Oh well it is what it is and having to renew every five years for around $50 bucks isn't horrible, I just wish I would have gotten permanent tags for about the same money like the Little Guy.
66Cooper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ssrjim » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:05 am

At 10 bucks a year it will take over 12 years before you are ahead.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 66Cooper » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:43 pm

ssrjim wrote:At 10 bucks a year it will take over 12 years before you are ahead.

That's kind of why I didn't have too much heartburn over not getting permanent tags. I did like that the fact that the Little Guy registration was something like $57 (part of that low cost was that is was already permanently tagged in AZ) and I never have to worry about it again or pay attention to the expiration date.

B
66Cooper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mkitchen » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:34 am

I was told that if you sleep in the trailer then you could not go with a permanent registration. My off road trailer is permanent but the TD pays each year. It does not cost too much but I would love to get a perm tag.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Return to Off Topic