CNC Build: The Bed and Breakfast at 4 years and 40,000 miles

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CNC Build -- ...aaaand the hatch is skinned

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 pm

GuyllFyre wrote:You thinking about adding gas assist struts?

On the one hand, I could use the exercise. OTOH, yes. :)

Quoth capnTelescope: "I'll burn that bridge when I come to it."
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- finishing touches on the hatch

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Quick update, not all is picture worthy.

I picked up an "Assist Handle" that was to my liking at HoDePo today. Tomorrow I get to take it back. :( The mounting footprint is greater than the space allotted, and once I got the workaround figured out, it just wasn't going to be worth the effort. I haven't needed a handle up to now, so this can just simmer for a while. Besides, ...
capnTelescope wrote:I could use the exercise.

I got the hatch wired up and kinda tested. Tail, brake and galley lighting. Testing was done by alligator clip. By the time I got an extension of the 4-wire harness soldered in, I'd had enough for the day, and didn't hook up to the TV for testing. I still need to get the "wide load" lighting (over 80" wide) bought and wired in. What I have now should be enough to get me to Tech Shop for final welding, fenders, etc.

The galley lighting looks pretty good, I think. It's two halogen flood fixtures, with LED replacements, that can be aimed. Here's a pic of how well it lights up the galley floor:

Also, I left 1/4" extra Al per side on the hatch, figuring I'd beat it over like I did with that corner piece I didn't use. It'll give me a bit of a drip edge, and hopefully protect the birch ply.
In process, rear view:

side view:
I used a 6" length of 1" round bar to do the hammering. Looks kinda cool, I think. 8) Might have drove the neighbors nuts. 2 hours of tap tap tap. :twisted:

Thanks for stopping by! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby tonyj » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Good neighbors aren't put out by other neighbors' "indulgences."
Bad neighbors, well, that's what the court system was created for.

Just a suggestion, LCG is close. Focus on weather-proof trim and basic sleeping accomodations. You want it weathertight for travelling. No-one will judge for incomplete builds! We've all been there. But you don't want to rush and do anyhting that will cause harm to your build just to make it to your first gathering.

I now always travel with a couple of rolls of duct tape to seal doors and hatch just in case I need to protect my work from the unexpected deluge.

Progress looks good. And where did you get that copy of my gally full of supplies and tolls mid-construction?
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:41 pm

tonyj wrote:Progress looks good.

Thank you. Thankyouverymuch.

tonyj wrote:LCG is close.

:frightened: You're telling me?!

I have a couple last things to do for hatch weather tightness, then it's getting 'er registerable. Fenders and lights mostly. It's obviously not going to be "finished." I would like it to be legal.

tonyj wrote:I now always travel with a couple of rolls of duct tape

Good idea. And a couple rachet straps. :thumbsup:

tonyj wrote:And where did you get that copy of my gally full of supplies and tools mid-construction?

I copied that idea from several other builds. It's pretty standard. :roll: :lol: I carried the idea over to the cabin, too. The galley floor makes a good work surface, too. :thumbsup:

:beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby jeporter25 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:02 pm

Looking great Keep it up!
jeporter25
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:41 am

If you back that flange up with a flat dolly and tap it gently with a body hammer (something relatively light weight with a very low crown or flat profile) you will be surprised how flat and true you can make it look.

I know it is a little late, but another trick is to start with an adjustable wrench. Set the jaws to just slip over the material thickness and creep along the edge just bending it enough to start to form a crease (i.e. just enough to overcome the spring back). Don't be tempted to bend it all in one go. Then go back and do it again, and again, until the flange is fairly well formed. Then get the dolly and hammer and work out any kinks or ripples; if you work "off dolly" you can raise depressions and sink adjacent highs while shrinking the material; or you can work "on dolly" to stretch it. Small little hammer taps to creep up on it and avoid dents or stretching it too much.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: CNC Build -- Hmmm--Fenders

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:08 pm

jeporter25 wrote:Looking great Keep it up!

Thanks, JE. I'm plodding along.

KCStudly wrote:If you ...

Thanks for reminding me that I have a body hammer and comma dolly. I haven't used them in so long I kinda forgot I had them . :? I used the flat-face hammer on the sides to get the worst of the wrinkles. I'm growing fond of the hammered metal look, so I didn't over do it.

I rolled the trailer out of the garage today, so I could figger out how to attach my fenders. I don't roll it out too often because it's such an itch-bay getting it back inside. There's about a 2 inch step in the concrete at the garage door that I have to get the wheels over, and avoid hitting the TV. :thinking: I should put a hitch ball on the riding mower.

Imagine a black fender, and it's going to look something like this:
ImageI think they are too high and too long on the ends as shown here.

I sat in the doorway and admired how close the end of the fender was to my ankle. Barking my ankle on it will be a wonderful way to start/end the day. :cry:

Here's where that somewhat spendy Timbren suspension just earned its keep. There's no welding attaching the suspension to the trailer chassis, just 3 half-inch hardened bolts, which are evenly spaced for my convenience. So: jack up, unbolt, move the axle back one bolt hole, use the side plate for a drill guide, drill and bolt up again. Shouldn't be too bad. This should protect the fender from my flying feet of death, and raise the tongue weight a little. Both are good things.

Now, where are my jackstands? :scratchthinking: Did I sell them at the yard sale? Oh well, TechShop has some. I have to go there anyway.

Two more pix to admire:

Gotta get the right door installed.

I had a couple of the neighbors come over today to ooh and ahh. :D

Thanks for stopping by! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:13 am

Ooh, aah, that looks nice. :thumbsup:

I am having the same issue with that style fender; too tall and not long enough in the top/flat section. The ones I bought are not quite the look I was aiming for.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:58 am

If your thinking of different fenders, I really like "Frank Bears" aluminum ones: http://teardroptrailerparts.com/Teardro ... ories.html

Here's a pic on my sis's little 4x8:

Sixty bucks for a pair shipped. They've got about a one inch flange on the back side. On my current build, they'll be attached to the tear's wall.

And BTW, your teardrop is looking GREAT!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: CNC Build -- Fenders 2

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:50 pm

tony.latham wrote:And BTW, your teardrop is looking GREAT!

Thanks, Bro. :D

I took the fenders over to TechShop today and put them on the bandsaw. Whacked off about 6 inches and rounded the corners like the original. The "legs" are definitely not too long now. Now they look like this:
I'll need to lower the whole thing an inch or two for it to look right.

KCStudly wrote:... not long enough in the top/flat section.

You're right. Just a little bit longer on top woulda been good. The way I see it, any flat surface is golden "out there." :thumbsup:

tony.latham wrote:If your thinking of different fenders, I really like "Frank Bears" aluminum ones

:thinking: Maybe, one day. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it. Right now, it's LCG IX or bust. :sweaty:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Those look fine!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:56 am

tony.latham wrote:Those look fine!

Thanks, Bro. Silk purses from sow's ears--our specialty.

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby 123jay » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:15 am

A little late but a old trick to working Alu.Is a lead bar1/4 " x 2 to 4" may be 12" long. By just slapping the alu. will make it bend and be very smooth
401/2"X 48" open tailgate bolt together army kit around $450.00
If the world did not suck ,you fall off!
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:06 am

Howdy Jay, welcome to my build.

123jay wrote:a old trick to working Alu.Is a lead bar...

Oh well. I didn't have one in stock anyway. :shrug: I used to. I probably let it go with the '41 Chevy pickup I was theoretically restoring. That's how I came to own the body hammer and dolly. Your technique sounds like it will work real good.

The edge of the hatch looks pretty cool, IHMO, (In High Mumble Opinion) :laughter: with the hammer finish. I'll get a good picture of it up here. It looks very handmade without looking crude. Thanks to y'all, I'm prepared for the "next build." :whistle:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- Fenders 3 -- Fenders!

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Thursday I hooked up to the TV and took the tear over to TechShop to get some work done. But before I left, I had to take a few pix. Naturally.
From several different angles:

capnTelescope wrote:Here's where that somewhat spendy Timbren suspension just earned its keep. There's no welding attaching the suspension to the trailer chassis, just 3 half-inch hardened bolts, which are evenly spaced for my convenience. So: jack up, unbolt, move the axle back one bolt hole, use the side plate for a drill guide, drill and bolt up again. Shouldn't be too bad. This should protect the fender from my flying feet of death, and raise the tongue weight a little. Both are good things.

So that's what I did first, was move the axle rearward. Of course, the best laid plans go out the window as soon as you engage the enemy. :( Simply moving everything back one hole would put the new hole right on the end of one of the crossmembers. No bueno. So everything got moved one hole and 2 inches. That meant I had to drill not 2, but 6 half-inch holes, through two 1/8" walls, horizontally, with a hand drill. It was a lot easier on the drill press. The A/C in the metal shop was out of order, and it was warm and humid. Thought I was gonna die. :sweaty:

Next up were the fenders. I enclosed the trailer side of the fenders with a piece of sheet metal. I bent a flange on that to rest on the frame, and welded a piece of 1" square tubing to that for mounting screws. here they are the next day:

Also welded the tongue box bottom to the trailer frame. By now, it was 9PM and all I wanted to do was go home. One of the many looky-loos at TechShop that day took a picture of a pooped capnTelescope:

The general manager also stopped by and took a few pix for the TechShop Facebook page.

On arriving home in the dark, I discovered that it's real hard to see the end of my driveway for backing the trailer in. Fortunately, my neighbors saw my plight and helped me get the trailer up the drive and into the garage.

Stay tuned, there's more.

:beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals