Show off your charcoal chimney

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Show off your charcoal chimney

Postby noseoil » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:59 am

I looked, but couldn't find a thread on this one, so hopefully other folks have the same thing to post with a couple of pictures. I went to a restaurant supply for a 2 quart stainless steel container, seemed about the right size for the 25 lumps I need. The coffee can type will rust out over time, but this should be good "forever" for me. It's about right for my 12" DO. Went to a hardware store for some bolts & nuts. I drilled the stainless with a few holes in the side & bottom, used some scrap tin for a heat shield, cut a hunk of 1 1/4" closet rod for a handle and here's what I have. Had to use small carriage bolts to make the "legs" to lift it up for better air-flow.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Show off your charcoal chimney

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:58 am

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mezmo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:18 pm

Nice redo on that charcoal lighting chimney. Not cheap
to do, I suspect, but worth whatever you spent on it, especially
if it is used frequently. Thank's for sharing your take on it.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:41 am

Bob has me beat hands down with his on the money he spent! Mine was actually pretty spendy, about $11.00 with the stuff I bought, but I've always liked restaurant supply stainless steel vessels. We have one nearby in Tucson which is open to the public, has great prices and a huge selection of things to choose from. I still have a 4 quart steam table pot (with the lid) I got in the 80's, which will look like new with a little elbow grease and a scrubber. I've used it for coffee, dish water, soups, stews, oatmeal & anything else I could make. If you have a supply house near you, take a look at the endless camping possibilities in stainless steel and other stuff.

The "store bought" ones in stainless are pretty expensive online and fairly large. Nice thing about the one I made is that it will give me the correct count by just adding wadded up newspaper & filling it nearly to the top for a 350f bake. It will last for years, never rust or burn out and I don't mind spending the money or time to have something to make camping better. Hardest part was drilling all the holes, no trouble with a drill press and a sharp bit. Figured I'm building the best trailer I can, so why not the best chimney?
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:51 pm

I need to make one of these for my teeny tiny hibachi grill. It's only 5"x5" so I only need four lumps of coal at a time. LOL. Love the handle and feet details. This is a great thread for figuring out the best way to make a mini chimney :thumbsup:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:29 am

Stacie, you win the prize for the most economical use of charcoal, unless someone has a "one lumper" grill out there. I would think the best way for you to go would be with a "pyramid" setup in the bottom of the grill, to get things lit. Just one cotton ball soaked in Vaseline or denatured alcohol, with three lumps arranged in a triangle around it and one perched on top. Presto, (nearly) instant heat! BTW, love your mini & the blog. best, tim

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Ah! Thanks for the tip Tim and the kind words about my trailer and blog! Your suggestion will be a lot easier than packing along a teeny tiny chimney. :lol:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Camping Secrets