I was just curious if anyone here uses Mint Cinnamon?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:50 pm

After using start8 to make Win8.1 usable, and not liking the path MS was heading down, I thought I'd look at the alternatives.

After playing with Mint XFCE, Mint Mate and Mint Cinnamon, I've settled on Mint Cinnamon, as the more robust flavor of the three.

Today I downloaded and installed the Technical Preview of Win 10. Slowly but surely they are bringing back the elements of Win 7. Maybe by the time they are done, we will have Win 7 back. Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy running with Mint Cinnamon! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: I was just curious if anyone here uses Mint Cinnamon?

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:39 pm

I installed Mint on a couple of desktop computers I built for the grandkids to infect with viruses. :D They're not in use yet, wife is setting up the desk soon. They'll be using the browser, so I don't think they'll see much difference.

I also downloaded the Win10 preview, looks much better than win 8. My goal is a tablet that will also be my laptop, a la Surface 3...
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby rmclarke » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Mike,

Right after Windows XP was officially abandoned, I tried Zorin 7 for awhile; it was a good way to ease into Linux (which I had been 'afraid of'....I don't know why). I installed Mint 17 in June and have not looked back since! :)
I don't know why I waited so long. I think because I had some Windows programs I didn't want to part with. Then I discovered 'WINE'... :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29

It's definitely a thumbs up from me... :thumbsup:

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:37 pm

So, you guys aren't talking about cooking?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Mary C » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:01 pm

I was thinking tea? maybe buns? or sweet potato casserole? Oh well.........

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jonw » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:51 pm

I was going to suggest trying a liquor called Perma Frost. It blends "cool peppermint with a hint of hot cinnamon."

Sipped some this weekend at a camp in Maine. Quite interesting...

jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Mary C wrote:I was thinking tea? maybe buns? or sweet potato casserole? Oh well.........

Mary C.

I'm with you, Mary! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bonnie » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Mary and Sharon, I got a laugh out of that.

Mike, I will try Mint Cinnamon when I reload Fedora. Good times. 8)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Glenn Butcher » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:28 pm

S'why programmers shouldn't do marketing...

I remember a print ad in Computer Shopper back in the '80s, had a picture of a naked baby on a blanket, with the slogan, "Our keyboard is as soft as a baby's butt!"

Geesh....
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby Corwin C » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 pm

I run Mint Mate, mostly because my 15 year old computer just can't run any of the traditional replacements for XP. It runs MUCH better on Mint than it ever did on XP (it came with '98) with the exception of a few software titles that just don't translate to Linux (iTunes, Sketchup, etc.) I've been using it for just over a year now and with the exception of an update that shut off the sound card (quickly corrected by another update the next day) I have had no issues.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Corwin C wrote:I run Mint Mate, mostly because my 15 year old computer just can't run any of the traditional replacements for XP. It runs MUCH better on Mint than it ever did on XP (it came with '98) with the exception of a few software titles that just don't translate to Linux (iTunes, Sketchup, etc.) I've been using it for just over a year now and with the exception of an update that shut off the sound card (quickly corrected by another update the next day) I have had no issues.

Corwin,

What CPU are you running over there? sysinfo should tell you!

If you don't have sysinfo, try: sudo apt-get install sysinfo

I was running Mate for a while, but from time to time it would lock up. Cinnamon doesn't seem to have that problem.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AzAv8r » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Tried Mint a few years ago (before Cinnamon; there was just Mint iirc). Wasn't satisfied, ultimately settled on Ubuntu. Now at 14.04 and have it on my desktop, my laptop, and my htpc. Works for me.
AzAv8r
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:44 pm

I tried ubuntu. I didn't like the buttons on the left. I also didn't like the panel on the top, or the unity desktop. But other than that I think they are very similar.

I hear there is a cubuntu available... :D

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:27 pm

Mike you can do a sudo ap-get for xfce desktop on ubuntu and get rid of the button's, that's what I did but started with lubuntu and built up from there. I seem to remember that Mint is a spin off of the ubuntu system anyway. I haven't messed with linux for a while and puppy does a good job streaming video of my window's 7 desk top to my tv.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Corwin C » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:49 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Corwin C wrote:I run Mint Mate, mostly because my 15 year old computer just can't run any of the traditional replacements for XP. It runs MUCH better on Mint than it ever did on XP (it came with '98) with the exception of a few software titles that just don't translate to Linux (iTunes, Sketchup, etc.) I've been using it for just over a year now and with the exception of an update that shut off the sound card (quickly corrected by another update the next day) I have had no issues.

Corwin,

What CPU are you running over there? sysinfo should tell you!

If you don't have sysinfo, try: sudo apt-get install sysinfo

I was running Mate for a while, but from time to time it would lock up. Cinnamon doesn't seem to have that problem.

Mike...

It's an Intel Pentium D at 2.8 GHz ... pretty sad huh. Saving the proverbial pennies for a massive upgrade someday.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic