Greetings to you all.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Greetings to you all.

Postby Arroga » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:02 am

Hello all,

My name is Ed. I am currently in Maine about to head south to Norfolk, VA in a couple of months. My wife (Lorena) and I love to travel and generally it is a spur of the moment day adventure or a planned destination for the weekend.

Typically our trip it goes something like: Which way? How Long? Go! When we go the distance we generally begin the, Left, Right, or Straight!

Now, we have no issues with tent camping, in fact I love it! Something about the woods just recharges me and seems to set my sanity straight. The issue is, when you are in explore mode setting up camp seems to just eat the time or difficult when you arrive at camp after dark. I guess the other thing is that the wife doesn't get the same thrill I do :(

After a trip a few years back to Texas we started looking into RV's, Trailers, and what not. But with small vehicles 99% of trailers were not suitable and I just can not, at this time Justify spending that kind of money on an RV. So we discussed a teardrop after seeing it on TV, but kinda put it aside. Until now!

Now I don't just want one, I want to build it. So I was looking around for plans and found this site. I creeped around for about a week checking out all the wonderful builds here. So I said, " Self, if all these people can do it what make you think you can't?" So after talking to the wife and getting the seal of approval from her. I have offically entered the Dream it phase and gave myself a deadline to start the actual build by March 15, 2015. My only issue is this is such a large project that I will have to try to keep focused.

Guess that about sums it up In a rather long post. Have Fun and Travel On! Ed
Intro: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=61463

Have Fun and Travel On!
You have two choices 1) Do it while you can or 2) Regret it when you can't.
Arroga
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Greetings to you all.

Postby bc toys » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:58 am

Welcome Ed and Wife You have got past the 1st and hardest stage (getting wife to ok it ) :thumbsup: now your in to stage 2 dreaming stage when it wakes you up in the middle of the nite and you go draw what you saw in your dream :? . Wait for stage 3 thats when the fun begins :lol: :lol: but remember we love to watch the builds as they progress :pictures: :pictures: Well good luck and I'll be looking forward to seeing your build.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Howdy from New Mexico, USA

Postby ChasCABQ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:34 am

You two sound just like my wife and me. Tent camping is no longer possible and we downsized from a 4Runner (that we could sleep in) to a Subaru. I've started building a teardrop based on what I've read here and encouragement from local builder Capt. Bob. (Username: captbobh2o2004). I'm thinking of it as a hard-sided tent.

My build journal's here:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61303
For a 5x8 I estimate it will weight just over 700 lbs. bare and cost around $2,000 for high quality materials. That's much cheaper than a new commercial trailer.

Good luck in your build! I want to visit Maine someday and see Acadia National Park.
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=61303
In 2016, I received a kidney transplant, finished my teardrop, and took it on the road! In 2017 I sold it and am back to car camping.
Thanks to all forum members who provided advice about my build and posted info to help me get started.
ChasCABQ
Donating Member

Postby LandCommander » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:45 am

Hi Ed, and welcome. I'm also new to this site. If you are looking to build a teardrop you are undeniably in the right place.
I am from kennebunk Maine and miss it dearly. Los Angeles just isn't quite the same...

Any ideas what sort of construction you'll be going with? Foam, aluminum skin, plastic sheets etc.

Just a thought, teardrops are intrinsically aerodynamic, but in truth, they should be much more enlongated for optimal effeciency. I don't know if anyone here has do e this yet, but ideally the shape would be the usual in the front (with as much corners rounded off as possible) and from there it would decline 11 degrees towards the rear until you get to the end at which it would be best to have a sharp truncation of the teardrop shape, think the back of a Prius.
Just a thought!
Best of luck and enjoy Maine before the long winter comes

Eric
LandCommander
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arroga » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks all,

Best of luck and enjoy Maine before the long winter comes

That is what next week... :frightened:

stage 2 dreaming stage when it wakes you up in the middle of the nite

Too late, I been thinking about it way to much lately. :thinking:

My build journal's here:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61303
For a 5x8 I estimate it will weight just over 700 lbs. bare and cost around $2,000 for high quality materials. That's much cheaper than a new commercial trailer.

Your one of the build journals I been creeping so you better keep going :)

The only details I have for sure are:
5 by 8 trailer
Rimple Style
12V system with a converter
if I can keep it under 1000 pounds I would be happy. The TV has a 2K limit, Subaru Baja.
need space for stove and cooler with kitchen supply (trying to think of if I can use the swing out stove idea to store both i one section)
Underbed storage for the emergency items
Space for storage of a Port a potty and tent setup ( can you guess who wanted that) :thinking:

As for what is going to be construction well still between Foamie or wood skeleton. Not to worried though I am sure it will be one of those go to the store to buy stuff and go yup thats how I am doing it. :lol:

After reading alot of post on here there is more to think about that I wasn't even concidering.

I do plan on documenting the build so there will be :pictures: after all they may help others like others have helped me.

Ed
Intro: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=61463

Have Fun and Travel On!
You have two choices 1) Do it while you can or 2) Regret it when you can't.
Arroga
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves