Electric Hotdogs

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Electric Hotdogs

Postby RandyG » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Anybody else ever cook hotdogs by putting the bare ends of an old cut lamp cord into each end. They come out pretty tasty as long as they don't burn. Seems if the more juices in the dog help it from burning and in the dark, you can see them light up a bit. I don't recommend doing this on a stove or any metal surface.
You can even connect them in a chain, parallel cooks each dog differently so I like to wire them in series. Good electrical lesson for kiddos.
Be careful while doing this. Don't wire them up with a live cord, use a power strip to turn the power on and off and unplug it. Please use common sense even though cooking this way sounds far from it. Just a little fun. :R
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Re: Electric Hotdogs

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Good electric lesson for kids??? Randy, I don't even want my kids to read this message! :shock:

Okay, maybe when they are over 18 and out of my house. :lol:

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby RandyG » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:44 pm

I was doing this when I was about 14 or so. At least with my kids if I explain the dangers, they wait until supervised. All kids are different though so I wouldn't teach this to Dennis the Menace.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
RandyG
500 Club

Postby rowerwet » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:08 pm

I sense a darwin award in the offing...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:42 pm

I was taught by my middle school science teacher, he also showed us how to light up a pickle the same way. But I haven't shown this to my kids yet, they are still too young to know how electricity works.
I think this post got off track from the beginning. :roll: Maybe I should not have mentioned kids learning from this. But it's how I learned how to wire in series and parallel.
Randy
RandyG
500 Club

Postby wagondude » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:21 pm

When I was young, we had hotdog cooker that was just a complicated version of this. It had two metal ladders with spikes coming off of them. You load it up with hotdogs (any number up to a full standard package), then plug it in and turn it on. It worked ok, but the dogs just didn't taste that good so we quit using it. I guess you could say ours was the UL approved version of what you describe.

http://www.neighborhoodvalues.com/nv/ki ... s/PHD1.jpg This is the general idea, but ours was different. This was just the closest picture I could find to what we had. Looks like the same artist that did artwork for the Waffle Dog irons may have done the manual for this cooker.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Did it when I was in second grade for a Cub Scout project.
A pine board with two bare nails pounded thru it and the top one inch bent over facing each other to spike the hot dog on.
I can't remember how I hooked up the wires.
Just plug it in and it cooks.
Also learned not to pull a plug by pulling on the wire, the plug stayed in the wall and shot sparks across the front of the full classroom. :oops:
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:49 pm

ELECTROCUTING Hot Dogs !?!?
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jandmz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 pm

wagondude wrote:When I was young, we had hotdog cooker that was just a complicated version of this. It had two metal ladders with spikes coming off of them. You load it up with hotdogs (any number up to a full standard package), then plug it in and turn it on. It worked ok, but the dogs just didn't taste that good so we quit using it. I guess you could say ours was the UL approved version of what you describe.
EDIT

Ours was the Presto Hot Dogger. It cooked them fast, but they had a burnt electrical fire taste. :?
It looked like this... http://www.midcenturymenu.com/wp-conten ... _thumb.jpg
Last edited by jandmz on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks for the memory. In grade school,we had a party for a birthday or something....the parent used one of these....I can't remember how they tasted but in grade school, it probably didn't matter much.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby coyote » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:47 am

We had that same Presto cooker, and our oldest about 7-9 at that time loved that thing. We kept a supply of wieners on death row at all times. :lol: I found one last year at a garage sale for 2 bucks, gave it to her with her Christmas package (she's 38 now). They must have not been that tasty, she wasn't nearly as tickled as I was! ( I suspect I can get a deal on it, if anyone out there, is just dying to get one! ) :lol: :lol: Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1