Bike Addiction

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Bike Addiction

Postby Fenlason » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:00 am

Hello my name is Glenn, and I am a bike addict. :oops: 8)

I just ordered another bike. I have wanted to try out a Surly Krampus since I first heard about them. It is what is called a 29er+. For those that might not know. A fat bike like a Pugsley is built with a 26" wheel but the huge tires make it the equivalent [in diameter] to a 29er. The Krampus is built with 29er rims, that are a little wider than "normal". and use a 3" tire. So the diameter is a bit larger than a 29er. It is in-between. They consider it a more a 29er vs a fat bike. It is also much racier than most fat bikes. [although are changing now also]. It is a stiffer frame.. has a longer top tube, as short a chain stay as possible and a more slack head angle.

glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Re: Bike Addiction

Postby Fenlason » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 am

It will be a fun play bike… as well as a project bike. I might try drop bars on it.. single speed.. maybe try off road fixie again. :twisted:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Greg M » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:33 am

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, but who wants to recover?
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Fenlason » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:36 am

Greg M wrote:Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, but who wants to recover?

:D :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Don't you know it's a rule, not a sickness: "Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1"

From http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:41 pm

asianflava wrote:Don't you know it's a rule, not a sickness: "Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1"

From http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Most definitely N + 1 although add the S-1 :oops: Although mine is sort of an addict also… somewhat reluctantly. Hmm that's not right.. I am not sure what to call it. She doesn't know she needs a new bike, until I get her one… she does often talk about if we get this one.. we don't need that one. Example when we got the New Epic's this spring.. she thought we didn't need the Cannondales any more. Then one day we were heading out for a ride, and her Epic had a flat tire or something, and so she took her Cannondale… and that "sold it".

Some of our trail work tools.. she was hesitant on, but now loves them. She either doesn't understand or can't see the benefit of something, before hand. :shrug:

Right now she doesn't understand how much she needs a Cycle Cross bike. :lol: :lol:

It is getting such that space is becoming a problem… and there are bikes we do not use any more. I know of at least 3 we could get rid of.. or part out.. or something.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby matthewh » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:56 am

Fenlason, enlighten me about these fat tire bikes i see - like the one you pictured. Is it simply the softer ride that makes them popular? I would imagine that they're tougher to pedal like knobby tires. Are they pretty much off road machines? Thanks.
matthewh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:45 pm

matthewh wrote:Fenlason, enlighten me about these fat tire bikes i see - like the one you pictured. Is it simply the softer ride that makes them popular? I would imagine that they're tougher to pedal like knobby tires. Are they pretty much off road machines? Thanks.

The bike pictured above isn't a real fat bike.

I will first talk about fat bikes.. then go on to the bike above.

Fat bikes have 26" wheels, The same as older mountain bikes [vs the newer 29er stuff] Their rims vary in width, but most.. run from 62mm-100mm. Their Tires are around 4" in width. This wide a tire is also fairly big around, big enough in fact to give the wheel/tire combo, about the same circumference as a regular 29er. These bikes were originally made for snow and sand. The large tires [with low air pressures] provide decent float, to be able to ride over soft terrain. Some people found them fun to ride anywhere. They are more stable, and are more comfortable on small roots and rocks. Bigger stuff.. they are still on the harsh side. [Although they now have some coming with suspension.]

After some time.. some bikes got even bigger. They still used 26" wheels, but 100mm wide, and 5" tires… which provided even more float.

The Krampus [the bike pictured] is what is called a 29er+ It used a 29inch rim.. that is a little wider than a"normal" at 50mm, and one uses a 3" tire. So the circumference is even bigger than a 29er.. so it rolls over rough terrain easier than a 29er [which is better than a 26] It has some float.. and a little more cushion than a regular mountain bike.

All these bikes take special frames.. you can't just plunk these wheels and tires in to any bike. The fat bikes also have a lot of special parts, wider hubs.. definitely wider bottom brackets. The Krampus was designed to use regular mountain bike parts [yet the frame.. wheels and tires are different.] It is an inbetweener.. it's frame is designed to be more aggressive.. begging you to ride it faster. It has monstrously tall wheels… and it should be a fun and fast bike. [yet still slower and heavier than a race bike]. I think it will just be a fun in-between bike.
We have not sold any of these yet ourselves, and I have yet to even see one in person. So it will be a little bit of an experiment for me.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby matthewh » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks, Fenlason. I'm fascinated by the variability of bicycles, and how they evolve, and de-evolve over time. For example, I see pictures of the earliest motorcycles, from when they diverged from bicycles, and they bear an uncanny resemblance to a fat bike with a small HP motor (which I have seen today). Then there's "fixies," now popular with urban riders. I asked someone I knew who rode one in the city why ride something that abandoned the "advanced" technology of gears. He said so that he could (of course) stop in place at a traffic light without putting his foot down (impossible with a derailleur system)! It never crossed my mind.

Bikes are remarkably flexible machines. Its too bad as Americans we don't embrace bicycles more (myself included). I wouldn't advocate abandoning cars (after all, how else would we pull our teardrops? :D) but I'm convinced that using bike for shorter distance utility rides that we'd be healthier and richer than we are today.
matthewh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:32 pm

matthewh wrote:Thanks, Fenlason. I'm fascinated by the variability of bicycles, and how they evolve, and de-evolve over time. For example, I see pictures of the earliest motorcycles, from when they diverged from bicycles, and they bear an uncanny resemblance to a fat bike with a small HP motor (which I have seen today). Then there's "fixies," now popular with urban riders. I asked someone I knew who rode one in the city why ride something that abandoned the "advanced" technology of gears. He said so that he could (of course) stop in place at a traffic light without putting his foot down (impossible with a derailleur system)! It never crossed my mind.

Bikes are remarkably flexible machines. Its too bad as Americans we don't embrace bicycles more (myself included). I wouldn't advocate abandoning cars (after all, how else would we pull our teardrops? :D) but I'm convinced that using bike for shorter distance utility rides that we'd be healthier and richer than we are today.

Actually you can stand still at a traffic light [without putting a foot down] on a geared bike. {It's called a track stand} It is a little easier on a fixed gear bike… but very doable.. well semi doable :roll: :lol: on a regular bike.

I have used a fixie on and off, for 30 or so years. Track bikes are of course "fixed". They won't let you race on the track, any other way. Some road racers use them for training. [My primary reason for using them] They became Hip a few years ago… :roll: I like them for training.. for you get much more of a workout in less time… it also helps you develop a good spin. My wife and I each have 2 fixies. She has my original training one from 30 years ago [it fits her better than I] We each also have 40+ old bikes stripped down to fixies.. that we run studded tires on, for winter use. Another nice thing about fixies.. or even a regular single speed, is the drive train is much less expensive, and handles the salt and sand of winter better.. requiring less maintenance, and expense.
Our winter bikes can be fixed or single speed freewheeling. The rear wheel as threads on each side of the hub. It takes a threaded track cog on one side, and is threaded for a single speed freewheel on the other.

Fixies are the most simple and most pure bike you can have. Riding fixed.. has a need unique feel. One does feel more a part of the machine.. and connected to the road. It is a really neet feel. I have even dabbled ridding off road with a fixed gear. It is a LOT of work.. but fun and challenging.

I do also wish cycling was more embraced by this country.Yet while I do ride a LOT.. I have been passionate about cycling most of my life… I have rarely used it for transportation. I use it for sport.. exercise.. and fun. I work at a bike shop, and even now I don't bike to work, because right after work I am rushing across town to join up on a group ride. :roll: :whistle: :shrug:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:11 pm

My Bike finally came in today. I typically would have set it up and road it as it came. Kind of wanting to feel the bike as it was designed, before trying some changes. Years ago [1987] I had a mountain bike that came with dropped bars. {Nitto Dirt Drops on a Bridgestone MB1] I loved it and have been wanting something like it since. This bike is a project bike.. and one I won't mind trying different things like this out. Also with mechanical disc brakes vs hydros, it will be easier to run drop bars. I had to order long travel drop bar brake levers, but there are people that still make them.

This bike was described as having a fairly long top tube and I wasn't sure how the drop bars would work. We had recently ordered a pair of bars for a customer, not long ago, and we accidentally ordered 2 pair. So we had one in stock for me to try the fit. The bike comes through with a fairly long steer tube on the fork.. and had a fairly short stem. So I think it will work out… or it felt good enough to give it a try.

Of course now I have to order those brake levers, and bar end shift lever. I also ordered another chainring. This bike comes with just one up front, with a 10 speed cass. The chainring is a 34, and the tires are bigger around than a 29er… so that gives me a pretty big low gear, for riding around here. [or at least my trails]. I did order a 30 for it, which should help.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 pm

I finally got my parts in. [We don't order as often this time of year]. The other day I did some work on the new bike, and got to setting up the shifting to find the newest level of 10sp Shimano stuff, the road [my bar end shifters] and mountain [the rear derailleur it came with]. Are no longer compatible. :fb

It is getting tough to keep up with all "this stuff" now a days . :thinking: :roll: :oops: So back to the drawing board.. Shimano 6-7-8-or 9 speed derailleurs will work. I have a couple of bikes that are going to become parts bikes. [I don't ride them much.. don't need them.. and their parts are worth more than what I could get selling the bikes]. I have some really nice older derailleurs. My first "grab" was a short cage derailleur.. I put it on..and I could get it to work, but the short cage aspect is beyond it's limits for the gear range on my Cass. A co-worker had a longer cage one on an old bike, that he let me try. [I would have just waited,for at that point I knew what I had would work] but he sort of insisted. I was able to get the rest of the bike set up, and I did look around here. and I have at least 3 other derailleurs that will work. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby 7up » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:07 am

I also have an Origin8 fatty and Trek XCaliber 8 29er among my other 14 pieces of addiction.
7up
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:57 pm

7up wrote:I also have an Origin8 fatty and Trek XCaliber 8 29er among my other 14 pieces of addiction.

:thumbsup:

Oh boy… another cyclist. :D :wakka wakka: :wakka wakka:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Greg M » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:46 pm

This is waiting for me to pick up in Portland
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430433969.453748.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430433969.453748.jpg (216.52 KiB) Viewed 5427 times
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Bicycles