The turkeys are on the pellet smoker! Done!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

The turkeys are on the pellet smoker! Done!!!!!

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:24 am

Any more pellet heads here?

I'm going to do my turkey on the pellet smoker this year, with the temp set to 325°F. At that temp it won't take long, but there won't be much smoke either. Let's see if I can find a pic on the web of what we are expecting.

Ah, here's one... it should end up looking something like this. Not as dark as yours, but with that fire roasted flavor!

Mike...

edit: opps, I didn't mean to sidetrack the original thread. So I split it and put it here! :D
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Deep frying a turkey

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:28 am

Hey Mike, I didn't know you were a pellethead! :lol: I am too. I've used a Traeger for several years. This years bird will be done on mine ,spatchcocked. This will be my first attempt that way. But at 325 it is onlt supposed to take 6-7 minutes per lb. That is only about 2 hrs. I may start the bird out at 225 for the first 45 minutes for better smoke then up it to 325. Have you ever tried that. I try not to cook poultry at low temps for very long. I don't like it in the danger zone very long. Hope it turns out. :)

Here are some beer can chickens I did on the smoker....some one commented it looked like they were waiting at a bus stop! :lol: What ever way you all cook your turkeys may they all come our tasty .

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 am

Hey Steve,

It looks like I've got the same smoker as you. The Traeger Texas grill. I got mine this summer though, so I haven't has as much time to practice as you have. And I've never spatchcocked a turkey. As for the 325°F., I got that from here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_ ... urkey.html

I've got the Simon and Garfunkel rub ready, but I have to decide if I am going to spatchcock the turkey.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:43 am

[quote="Woodbutcher"]Hey Mike, I didn't know you were a pellethead! :lol: I am too.

Hey Hey Now!..... I represent that remark!....Another pellet head here guy's I've got the Lil Tex Elite, it does not get any easier or better than a Traeger unit, also made in America. I'm not doing the Turkey this year, the oldest son is in charge of that department, but I am doing some baby backs today for the evening meal....gettin hungry just thinking about it.

Larry :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Re: Pellet smoking a turkey this year...

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:24 pm

It is a Texas model. I have had it about 6 years. Too bad we aren't closer together we could do a group pellet buy and save some bucks. I have 3 guys near me and we buy 2000Lb at a time to split. It's a lot of pellets but it brings the cost down to about43 cents a LB delivered. But 500 lbs takes me a long time to burn up.

There is a saying at the BBQ competitions.....Do you know who the pelletheads are? Yea, the ones who got a good nights sleep last night! :lol:

For those who don't know what these smokers are they burn food grade all hardwood pellets. Your choice of wood species. The box on the left holds the pellets and an auger drops them into the fire box when the thermostat calls for them. So it's kind of a "set in and forget it" type smoking. As long as the hopper is full it stays on temperature.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Any more pellet heads here?

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:16 am

It's started! A 12 1/2 pounder and a 15 1/2 pounder. Should be ready in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: The turkeys are on the pellet smoker!

Postby lrrowe » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:33 am

I do not have a pellet grill. But I do have a Holland grill.
It should produce similar results after adding wood chips.

http://www.hollandgrill.com

I might have to try it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:29 am

Another smoker here I've got a UDS and about 8 weber including a ranch kettle.
I've got a stainless steel commercial steamer unit that is in the process of becoming a pellet smoker
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:43 am

Irrowe,

What is a Holland grill?

@ dales133

Got any in progress photos?

And here's what the turkeys are looking like at halftime...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: The turkeys are on the pellet smoker! It's halftime!

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Pulled the first one off the smoker. Looking good. Looks really moist. The other one is only about 15 minutes away from being done.

So Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Mike n Chell

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby lrrowe » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:24 pm

mikeschn wrote:Irrowe,

What is a Holland Grill ?

Mike...

Mike,
See http://www.hollandgrill.com

It is a gas grill that cooks like a smoker to some extent. Everything is done by time at one temperature setting. I cook a lot of Boston Butts on it for my BBQ meals.
Last edited by lrrowe on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Re: The turkeys are on the pellet smoker! Done!!!!!

Postby dales133 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:59 pm

I've got some pics but I'll have to do a bit of a looksie or take some mode
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby razorback » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Hey Mike
Your turks look great. This is what I use: http://www.thegreenhead.com/2007/06/cam ... turkey.php
It took about 1 hour and 45 minutes for my 12 lb. turk.
I add a few pecan wood chips for my flavor.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Larry and Macy
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:20 pm

Great looking birds Mike! Mine was excellent too. I forgot in all the rushing around to take a picture. This will be the way I do turkey from now on. Much better spatchcocked.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Smoker here...but haven't graduated to a pellet unit yet. Still use my green egg! Those birds look great. Smokers and campers unite!,
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Off Topic