butler pickup camper

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: butler pickup camper

Postby migal0412 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:50 am

Just a guess but I think it is probably edged glued strip planking over a form just as used in boat building. There is quite a bit of info on this method on the net or just google strip planking or go onto the West System site.

I built a small boat using this system years ago and the compound curves were not that difficult to make and were exceedingly strong and very light weight.

Cheers Mike
Being so bloody good-looking does not automatically make me the expert on anything.
migal0412
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cracker39 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:01 am

DrCrash wrote:I purchased butlers plans for this hoping to get insight on how it was done but be warned he got 45 bucks from me and they are not plans. He advertises 33 pages of drawings, pictures, and detailed how to. I received 12 pages and there is no how to.
It's just some pictures and how you could possible make a camper or topper .
And nothing on the curve at all.
Do not waste your money buying these plans. And yes I did email Mr. butler " Paul" and he was about as helpful as feathers on a rhino.

I hate rip-offs like those plans and this isn't first time I've heard from disappointed plans buyers. What has happened to having pride in your work? I spent several months getting my plans right for each of my two trailers. For less money, I have over 70 pages of drawings, over 40 pages of instructions and over 300 photos in the Squidget plans and more than that in the PT plans. I do take pride in what I've created. I AM NOT trying to sell plans, just making a statement about pride and honesty.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby DrCrash » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 am

pchast wrote:Perhaps an exercise ball for a form? Read somewhere about landscape balls
being used and cut into quarters. I think here on a metal motorcycle trailer...

Several possible methods. :thinking:

The exrecise ball has possabilitys. The yard ornaments here are glass and a size to small.

Leaning towards the wood strip method.

migal0412 wrote:Just a guess but I think it is probably edged glued strip planking over a form just as used in boat building. There is quite a bit of info on this method on the net or just google strip planking or go onto the West System site.

I built a small boat using this system years ago and the compound curves were not that difficult to make and were exceedingly strong and very light weight.

Cheers Mike

Reading up and getting ideas on how to do this . I will go to the shop this afternoon and make a mock up and get some pictures of it. Thank you for the info.
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby DrCrash » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:25 am

cracker39 wrote:I do take pride in what I've created. I AM NOT trying to sell plans, just making a statement about pride and honesty.

If I could I would give you a big thumbs up Dale. You are right on the money about pride and honesty.....
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:09 am

Paper Mache would work, though one can buy premade ball corners in aluminum.

http://www.hannarv.com/P/BallCornerCapB ... aQodniMAFQ

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DrCrash » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:58 am

Thank you for the link Rob. If they had a 16 inch I would probably order it. The paper mache might be an option.
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Are you looking for an 8" radius, or 16?

If 16, the ball corner, if round, would be 32" in diameter!

Rob

here is an 8" radius;
http://www.humphreystrailerparts.com/ex ... -1874.html
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DrCrash » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:08 pm

16, the ball corner, if round, would be 32" in diameter!

That is what I am looking for to match the 16 inch round corners.
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic