Collecting Singers

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Collecting Singers

Postby rebapuck » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:49 pm

Does anyone else collect vintage Singer sewing machines? I really wouldn't have called myself a collector until I bought TWO model 99 hand cranks in one week.

Now I have 4 Featherweights, a 301A, the two 99s and a 6000(bought in 2006). Yet I sew on my 1970 Kenmore.

All references to the 99 say it's a 3/4 version of the 66. Now I have to check that one out.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Re: Collecting Singers

Postby PKCSPT » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:46 am

Not for sale but I have my moms old featherweight from 1955 and the sewing table that it can sit in. That old machine sewed costumes for school plays, robes for a church choir and a lot of clothes. Still works perfectly and although I don't know how to sew I love it for the memories.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:24 am

My wife has about 60 vintage machines. Mostly Singer but lately she has been buying the old Neechi machines. This started about 4 years ago. She has always sewed, but got an industrial Singer from an Aunts Estate, that started it all. There are now 4 Industrial machines including a Serger in the basement. I call it the sweat shop. It looks like the pictures you see of old fashioned sweat shops. :lol: My wife also has a 10' quilting machine and an Embroidery machine. She has never had any mechanical interest in the past but something about these machines has got her interest. They get all cleaned and oiled and put back in service. Now if I could only get her to check the oil in her car we would be getting somewhere!

So be careful, this collecting stuff can get out of control!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:32 am

My wife has a Singer 201, 301, 404, 404 & 603. Sh also has a Viking 2000 and a Singer serger.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:57 am

I'd have a long arm if I had the space, but I could not justify it. Don't know why the bug bit me. Ahhhh...it's only money. I'm helping the economy!
Last edited by rebapuck on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:04 am

Oh God yet another moron. It's like swatting flys with the storm door open.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dales133 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:17 am

Nice work sir
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:47 am

HUH?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby rowerwet » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Just add the spammer to your foes list
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby ZugZug » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Yep.

Now back to the old machines...

I inherited my aunt's old featherweight 222k from 1954. She was not a sewer, so it was only used a handful of times. I've had it oiled up recently and now use it from time to time. Gorgeous little thing. I'm not a huge fan of the old singer foot pedal though. It's a bit on the sticky side but honestly other than that one tiny thing, it is just beautiful to sew with and I love it.

It still has the original everything including the various feet etc. etc., the instruction book and the cards from my two grandparents wrote and put inside it (who I never met), with their wedding wishes to my aunt (with whom I was very close). They were wishing her well on her wedding day. The machine was her wedding present. She and I were always very close and I bought her house after she died a few years ago. I found it, still in its box, in the back of a cupboard while I was clearing it all out. Always loved it and only later discovered it was a collector's item as well.

It is one of my very favourite things in this world. It has massive sentimental value to me, and also I've never seen a featherweight in such perfect condition. I will hand it on to one of my girls when the time comes.

But I use it anyway. Because what's the point having something beautiful if you never take it out to enjoy it. I just use it carefully.

My absolute favourite (and it will need to go back to the repairer tomorrow), is my lovely old Pinnock Super DeLuxe. It's bright green, shiny and incredibly smooth to sew with. The foot pedal is nicer (bakelite hinged type), but of course that machine weighs a tonne so it stays out in my lounge room (with a small quilted cover over it that doubles as a table protector when I move it to the dining room table for use) and only ever moves 1 m (from the shelf to the table, then back to the shelf).

I also (stupidly) adopted a not-working Husqvarna from the 1940s/50s?? Still sitting in its box in my lounge room. Pretty thing, but I have no idea what to do with it. That was the day my sewing machine fad got silly. It was given to me for nothing. I might end up selling it on, although the original plan was to get it sewing first. There are some broken bits in the pedal, and the motor has seized. So it's probably just going to be a display piece for someone. It is very pretty.

I use my Mum's old Pfaff for garment sewing. Because neither of my others (the featherweight or the Pinnock) does zigzag. But they're perfect for quilts and I've come to love french seams in garments as well :)
ZugZug
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 pm

My wife has a few Singer Featherweights, but they are a 221 model I believe. What is the difference between a 221 and a 222 ? She used them for making small jointed teddy bears. The ladies liked the featherweights because they were compact and easy to take to sewing seminars. Quilters like them too. It is a big plus that yours has a family connection, that makes it all the more valuable.

My wife also has a few Necchi's. Real good machines. But every so often she gets one that is stuck....makes you think the motor is seized. But it is just that the old oil has dried out so much nothing will move. If you want any free advise or links to places to help you with the Husqvarna send me a PM and I will forward it to her. She lives and breaths sewing machines and would be happy to help if she could.

Steve
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Collecting Singers

Postby Padilen » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:22 pm

I foolishly sold a singer and kept a White 1964 fair lady. I've been looking for parts and all though it was a popular model I can't find a belt or bobbin roller.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Over on www.hammockforums.net there's a thread entitled "Show Us Your Thread Injector". It's 147 pages long. Guys like sewing machines too but must be afraid their manhood might come into question if they don't give their sewing machines a macho name. Lots of amazing machines and info. ;)
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:12 am

Woodbutcher...just off the top of my head, I think the 222 has a free arm.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:22 am

You are correct. My wife went nuts when I asked her about your machine. That is the Holy Grail of the Featherweights. They sell for huge money if you can ever find them. Take good care of yours, it's a treasure.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers