Deep frying a turkey

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Deep frying a turkey

Postby SmokeyBob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:10 pm

With Thanksgiving around the corner I thought I would deep fry a turkey. I've heard the turkey comes out great. I thought the electric Butterball deep fryer would be safer and easier for me to use. Has anyone ever used one of these. What were your pros and cons.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Deep frying a turkey

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:11 pm

I've fried many a turkey but never in that device. Just make sure your oil temp is high enough (375F) before you put in the turkey, and make sure the turkey is totally dry. Any moisture on the surface of the turkey will cause the oil to boil, dangerously.

Be Careful, that's a bunch of hot oil. And there's a huge fire potential if you don't pay attention to the temp.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:58 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I've fried many a turkey but never in that device. Just make sure your oil temp is high enough (375F) before you put in the turkey, and make sure the turkey is totally dry. Any moisture on the surface of the turkey will cause the oil to boil, dangerously.

Be Careful, that's a bunch of hot oil. And there's a huge fire potential if you don't pay attention to the temp.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas>
:beer:

Good advice, thanks. :thumbsup:
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby crpngdth2001 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:09 pm

I've used both the "oil" Turkey Deep Fryer with Peanut Oil, and the "electric" Turkey Deep Fryer and greatly prefer the electric unit. IMHO, it does an awesome job.
crpngdth2001
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Have done a couple of them, but I still prefer smoked, fire roasted....on your first attempt prior to filling the fryer with oil, fill it with water with the turkey in it to gauge the level of how much oil you need, too little not good, too much really not good, like massive fire not good. Cook it on the lawn or other don't care area because it will splatter some, as stated above make sure it is dry before lowering it into the hot oil. There will be a guideline on how long per pound.....but when it starts to float it's done. Just my experience. :)
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:52 pm

I've had fried turkey several times and think it's the best. Like Redneck says... Use water to figure your oil level... And don't become a statistic.

I watched a Trisha Yearwood show last week and she used an "oiless" fryer. Maybe the Butterball unit you are thinking about. It was a gorgeous bird when removed from the unit.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby DrCrash » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:19 am

Most excellent way to burn down your house and hurt yourself..
Do it outside and far away from structures and cars.
Use proper safety equipment and uncommon sense "common sense " is now a superpower many don't poses.

Seriously in my town over the last 2 years people have burned down four houses with these things and the town only has 1200 people in it.
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:10 am

Simple rule for cooking in oil. turn the flame off when putting the bird in or taking it out. Also keep the cavity facing away from you when inserting the turkey. Never tried the electric version, gave up on oil when the price of peanut oil kept going up. Now I use the spatchcock method. This is a good article on that method. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/video-how-to-spatchcock-turkey-thanksgiving.html

Enjoy your bird however you cook it.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBob » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks to everyone for your help. Time to go get the Butterball deep fryer. For me I think it will be safer than using the propane deep fryers. Turkey day is almost here.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. :)
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:01 pm

dmb90260 wrote:Simple rule for cooking in oil. turn the flame off when putting the bird in or taking it out. Also keep the cavity facing away from you when inserting the turkey. Never tried the electric version, gave up on oil when the price of peanut oil kept going up. Now I use the spatchcock method. This is a good article on that method. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/video-how-to-spatchcock-turkey-thanksgiving.html

Enjoy your bird however you cook it.

I like this Spatchcooking cooking concept. Too late this Thursday, but I will try it later.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBob » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 pm

I spatchcocked and smoked a turkey last year. Came out great.

To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dales133 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:18 am

Stompspam
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Corwin C » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:19 pm

I love deep fried turkey, but there are hazards involved with the process. Alton Brown did an episode where he showed one of the safest setups that I've come across (it's how I do it myself now.)

Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Return to Off Topic