Lodge 4 qt

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Lodge 4 qt

Postby ae6black » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Just picked up a NIB Lodge 4 qt. A little rust on outside but clean on inside. Waiting for warmer weather before I clean it up and reseason it with Beeswax. Sold on that treatment. But I do have a question. I have a generic 6 qt that I've been learning to cook on. I thought it worked fairly well with everything I cooked in it being done and tasting great, but has a loose lid. The Lodge is very tight fitting which I suspect is a good thing. But what's the problem with a loose fitting lid as long as ash and dirt don't get inside from what's been sizzling on the lid? The build up of steam and pressure is going to make even a tight fitting lid like my new Lodge dance up and down at least a little as the steam and pressure escape. At least that's how I am figuring how a DO works, they aren't a pressure cooker. I'd like to hear the reasoning why everybody seems to be blasting loose fitting lids.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Lodge 4 qt

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:41 am

Many of the newer ones have a little "v" ground into them to insert a long thermometer I am sure these will let out as much steam as a loose fitting lid.

I don't see it affecting the quality of the food.

The end results are more attributed to the cook than the cookware.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: Lodge 4 qt

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:07 am

bobhenry wrote:The end results are more attributed to the cook than the cookware.

Oh.
:oops:
Maybe I should put out for some cooking lessons, after all.

Catherine
:lol:
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Return to Cast Iron