Zamp ZS-40-P

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Zamp ZS-40-P

Postby ae6black » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:44 pm

I am considering a Zamp ZS-40-P portable solar unit for my small travel trailer. Does anybody have any experience with these things? What I am looking for is the ability to extend my boondocking for up to five days. I got three days last year just running the refrigerator before the low battery alarms went off. All I want to do is to last longer without shore power. The specs say the thing will maintain a battery during long storage times. That's not what I am looking for. I want to be able to draw on the battery while it's plugged into the portable unit for things like refrigerator, water pump and lights. I understand this wouldn't run the ac or heater but don't really want that anyway. If anybody has ever used something like this I'd like to hear if you think this unit would fulfill my purposes or if I should consider a generator. I'd rather go green and not listen to darn thing running.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Zamp ZS-40-P

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:20 am

I'm guessing you'll need at least 120 watts. 40 watts isn't going to do what you are asking. I'm strictly a 12v boondocker and use very little power. Here's my 60 watt setup:

for things like refrigerator, water pump and lights.
Figure out how much power those things draw in a day and you'll know how many watts your panels need to create.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Zamp ZS-40-P

Postby ae6black » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. After reading a ton of reviews, I'am closing in on a Renogy 100Watt system. The refrigerator I I'll be using will be set on the propane setting. About a hundred bucks cheaper than Zamp, and panels still made in germany.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Return to Off Topic