Has anyone ever used a plastic van gas tank for gray water

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Has anyone ever used a plastic van gas tank for gray water

Postby ibbuckshot » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Greetings folks,
I tried to get some feed back on the General discussion page but no one would give me any ideas :? . I am planning my caned ham type camper. I wanted to have some gray water storage. I have an old gas tank that once lived in a Ford astro van. It's about 4ft long, 10 in wide and 12 in high. If I can adapt the intake from the sink and shower and dump valve fittings I think I can hang this tank under the frame. I think it is about 20+ gal. Even if it's a bit less I think it would work out. Anyone have a handle on where to find plumbing fittings that can be installed in a tank like this ? ? ? Thanks for your help........
Have fun, 8)
buckshot
Take time to smell the roses before you end up under them ! ! !

Road rage can be hazardous to your health ! ! !
ibbuckshot
Teardrop Builder

Re: Has anyone ever used a plastic van gas tank for gray wat

Postby dales133 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:36 pm

Just use regular household plumbing compression fittings either that or hoses and nipples/clamps
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby LandCommander » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:59 am

Getting the water in should be fairly easy, but for dumping I recently had success with a low cost method. I was working with an old rusty existing steel tank. I used a cheap "uniseal" and a 2" pvc ball valve.
LandCommander
Teardrop Builder

Postby lrrowe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:47 am

Even though it is just for gray water, could food stuff and hair, etc get go down the drain and over time be held bacck because of possible interior baffling.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:11 am

With all the retro fitting and monkeying around I would think a trip to the auto graveyard might be in order. They get wrecked campers and rv's as well as cars. I find little campers setting here and there that could be bought for little or nothing. You might want to look into this as a source as well.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ibbuckshot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Yes, you guys are right. I did find a RV junk yard in our area. I plan on checking it out for a flat type gray water take with fittings and valves along with shower, windows and door. I am
looking forward to finding a bunch of GOLD.
Have fun,
buckshot 8)
Take time to smell the roses before you end up under them ! ! !

Road rage can be hazardous to your health ! ! !
ibbuckshot
Teardrop Builder

Postby 48Rob » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:01 am

Buckshot,

While I'm from the same school as Bob (re purpose and recycle) I would be cautious spending a lot of time and effort on an old tank.

Junkyard campers and RV's generally offer up a lot of cool parts that are perfectly useable, old tanks 90% of the time are cracked or damaged.
Most I've inspected are also brittle from age.

Considering you can pick up a clear water tank, and often odd gray tanks on E bay pretty cheap, it might make more sense in the long run.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets