Neodymium Magnet Curtains?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Neodymium Magnet Curtains?

Postby PubUltraStar » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 pm

I've been thinking ahead to the creation of curtains for the interior of the teardrop. I've been thinking of using neodymium magnets to hold the curtains in place. Basically, I'd use these installed around the edge of the windows.

Then I'd sew a something meagnetic into the curtain hem at the corners, and Voila! Easy to put up, and easy to take down.

Anyone see any problems going this route? Has anyone tried this before? I plan on ordering custom fabric and my wife can sew, so making them shouldn't be a problem. The magnets are super powerful, so I don't think that they should fall once attached.
There is always risk in being awesome!
http://www.diy-teardrop.com/
http://www.m2-photo.com
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Re: Neodymium Magnet Curtains?

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:41 pm

I had a similar idea, my plan was to use the magnets to hold the edges down, but I plan on covering as much of the wall as I can. I wasn't going to sew in the metal, just use washers or something. If you decide to sew them in I would recommend velcro pockets or something, so you can take them out to wash the fabric. I'm using $8 throw blankets I got at walmart. they are double layer fleece type fabric 40x50 inches. The magnets I got aren't quite enough to hold the weight of the blankets, so I'm going to put a couple of clamps to hold the corners, and use the magnets in the middle and around the edges to keep it against the wall.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:17 pm

I think that's what Vedette uses to hold the curtains in Miss Piggy. Maybe he'll pop in and tell us. His seem really small and strong.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby teddy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:31 am

I use them on the curtains in my car, works fine, but while they are quite heavy to pull apart, they slide quite easily. So for a roof vent its great, but for wall applications, you might need more or use clamps aswel as Tom suggested.
teddy
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:48 am

I'm a big fan of those magnets but didn't use them with our curtains. I stole this idea from Kayakdlk: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57065&start=60

I didn't notice if they had the link to the supplier or not but it's sailrite.com. I bought their aluminum track. The system works well.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Off Topic