My wiring plans

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:48 pm

I am going to inject a note of caution. What you think you need now may Not be what you need in the future. The Progressive Dynamics PD 4000 power center has 12 12V circuits, and I am using them all. OK there is a bunch of stuff, and things sneak up on you that you didn't think about i.e. I installed a Sirius dock for the stereo and yes I could have tapped in the power to the stereo supply with a 5A fuse but getting to it would have required removing three panels in the gallery to gain access.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:18 am

Here are my wiring diagrams to check to make sure I'm not too far off. Although I've wired simple 110 stuff, I've not done anything in 12 volt. I've broken it into 4 systems to keep it straight in my little noggin.

This is my running lights diagram.

Interior light plan.

For the 12V plugs and Fantastic Fan plan I'm thinking of separate runs of 12 gauge for safety sake or is this overkill?

Simple brake wiring to the connector.

This plan shows how the whole thing would connect in the tongue box.

Please let me know if you notice anything at all.

Thank you all so much,

Dave
Last edited by DMcCam on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:10 am

Steve Frederick wrote:Joanne, POY-FECT!!!

Please excuse my digression. When in Philly a while back and as we were sitting on the upper deck of he tour bus I remarked to my wife that the weather was "POI-FECT as Curly Joe would say". Later a tour guide pointed out that Larry Fine was from Philly. Suzy then asked: "Is he the one that played Curly Joe?". You gotta love her!

I like the dc plan. It fits with KISS.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Re: My wiring plans

Postby VermonTear » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:37 am

Okay, I've been thrashing around in "Electrical Secrets" and this thread for a few weeks, trying to get ready to wire my Tear. DC, AC, an Inverter, and also charging from the vehicle battery.

We're going to have DC LED lights, and a Vent Fan -- maybe 35 Amp Hours a day Max, usually less. Also several 110 outlets for laptops for watching DVDs on rainy nights, a radio/ipod deck, and a coffee grinder and 850 watt toaster for 5 minutes a day. The 110 adds about 40 Amp hours Max. Based on the toaster, we'll be looking at least at a 1000 watt Inverter. We'll often be without shore power, and on those nights we'll skip the toast, and run the laptops off of their batteries to conserve power.

I think I've found wiring diagrams here http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33719 that will work for me, but I am unclear how to include a battery charger (I have a Deltran Tender Plus) in the diagram.

Or maybe I'm better off getting a Inverter/Charger combo? Seems like that will simplify the wiring setup, take up less space, and make the transition of connecting / disconnecting to shore power simpler and more automated(fewer steps for me -- and spouse-- to remember), although there also is a BIG jump in price for a quality (good features, quiet fan, low battery usage when not really inverting) inverter/charger over the price of an inverter.

So... Opinions? Inverter? Inverter/Charger? If it's an Inverter and separate charger is there a wiring diagram around for that? (I haven't found it yet.)

Summer's comin', so I better figger this out!

Ken
Ken

My first build 12/2011: viewtopic.php?p=890137#890137
VermonTear
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Most products that should be used on an inverter are also available to work on DC i.e. fan. For the most part you should not be using anything that uses resistant heat i.e a coffee pot or small heater as they suck amps big time.
I have a Morningstar Sursine 300W inverter to power TV (23W) and a couple of other small loads including the battery charger for small batteries. For my set up the inverter plugs into the battery (6ga cable) and AC wires go back to a DPDT switch that switch between shore power to the AC breakers in the Progressive Dynamics power center. I am a strong believer is having separate sources for what ever application i.e. I have a separate printer and a scanner and if one fails it is less expensive to replace the part that failed. and they are both better quality than the combined units. What is th standby power draw from a combined converter/inverter (you are powering the inverter).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby rossjools » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:23 am

:), G'day Joanne,
Those schematics are just great. There's only one thing I'd add and that's some form of protection between the alternator output terminal (B+) and the solenoid or in the line from the solenoid to the trailer. As an auto sparkie I've seen a few people who didn't protect the line to the trailer somewhere and ended up with a real mess under the hood of their tow vehicle and elsewhere. Although I no longer work in the trade I'll shortly be doing this mod to my own tow vehicle and will be fitting a circuit breaker or fusible link under the hood to protect the wiring to the trailer and as that wiring will be running alongside the rear harness in the wagon I want to protect the vehicle harness from getting burnt if the trailer main positve wire shorts out somewhere in the car.

Cheers,
Ross.
rossjools
Teardrop Inspector

TVRe: My wiring plans

Postby bigbendhiker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Most products that should be used on an inverter are also available to work on DC i.e. fan. For the most part you should not be using anything that uses resistant heat i.e a coffee pot or small heater as they suck amps big time.
I have a Morningstar Sursine 300W inverter to power TV (23W) and a couple of other small loads including the battery charger for small batteries. For my set up the inverter plugs into the battery (6ga cable) and AC wires go back to a DPDT switch that switch between shore power to the AC breakers in the Progressive Dynamics power center. I am a strong believer is having separate sources for what ever application i.e. I have a separate printer and a scanner and if one fails it is less expensive to replace the part that failed. and they are both better quality than the combined units. What is the standby power draw from a combined converter/inverter (you are powering the inverter).

I realize this is an older post, but I think I may want an inverter for the same reasons you stated. I have a 19" LCD TV that I will eventually want to run off of an inverter. My thought was to mount the inverter on the wall (cargo trailer) near the TV. When I use the inverter I would just unplug the TV from the 110v wall outlet and plug it into the inverter. So my question is how should I prewire for the eventual inverter installation? My original plan was to mount a 12v dc outlet near where the inverter will be mounted. I have some heavy duty Marinco outlets. I gather from what you used this may not be sufficient. Thoughts?
Scott
bigbendhiker
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 pm

I plan to have two batteries. one running right side one running the left. They will be in parallel
Image and if one goes out the other can power both sides.

Your diagram is very interesting.

Now a days we have LED's so that will save on power.

What I did wonder is the Clearance lights have one wire and the make thinks it is going to be attached to the metal frame. How do you ground these on a wood trailer, where the ones on top must be connected to a ground wire.

How have you attached this wire to the light? :thinking:

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:46 am

Ron Dickey wrote:I plan to have two batteries. one running right side one running the left. They will be in parallel

One small suggestion ... the way the batteries in parallel in your diagram is wired, it has the potential to work one battery harder than the other. To fix, wire like this ...

... it's a small detail, but may improve battery life in the long run.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Re: Wiring plans

Postby The Ruckus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:56 am

So without shore power you have no 110v outlets (to the right)
toypusher wrote:Andrew

I think that is good advise, I mean, look what happend to Joanne! :shock:

Hope the new drawings (1 with and 1 without the battery charger) will meet with mass approval :worship:

And I promised some FREE graphics programs. Here are 3 that I know are pretty good to even great:

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/ph/ph5/index.asp

http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dynami ... windows%2F

http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dynami ... mes_en.htm

Kerry
Steve "The Ruckus" Whelan
The Ruckus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:44 am

I realy think omitting shore power all together would be a mistake.
If you ever had guests over at home and no other option you could house them in comfort in the TD and with super early risers like my mother she could read the paper in the morning sun after a comfortable nights sleep due to heating or cooling all supplied by shore power while your charging batteries at the same time
I wouldn't over look it even if you don't think you'll need it, would be bloody ugly to add as an afterthought
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:59 am

dales133 wrote:I realy think omitting shore power all together would be a mistake.
If you ever had guests over at home and no other option you could house them in comfort in the TD and with super early risers like my mother she could read the paper in the morning sun after a comfortable nights sleep due to heating or cooling all supplied by shore power while your charging batteries at the same time
I wouldn't over look it even if you don't think you'll need it, would be bloody ugly to add as an afterthought

We don't have shore power in our 'drop and don't regret it. We don't need A/C fortunetly, and avoid the crowds and camp in the boondocks. Things would be different if I lived somewhere else. When I built my sister's teardrop, one challenge was that she uses a CPAP machine. I planned the electrical the system around 12v since they too like to camp in the sticks. (and it worked). But just in case, I stuck one of these in:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AN ... UTF8&psc=1

It's an extremely easy way to have a 120V outlet in your trailer.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Da'engineer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:34 am

Does anyone use a voltage regulator for their trailer coming off the battery since fully charged battery goes above 12v and goes below 12v when under charged?
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MtnDon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:13 pm

A regulator on the TD or CT battery? Only if you count the regulator that is built into a 120 VAC battery charger or a solar charge controller. I don't see any purpose other than those, unless I misunderstand the concern. Inverters have built in low voltage alarms and the good ones a built in low voltage disconnect to protect the inverter.
Last edited by MtnDon on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Da'engineer wrote:Does anyone use a voltage regulator for their trailer coming off the battery since fully charged battery goes above 12v and goes below 12v when under charged?

Nope. As usual, Don's on the money with his electrical advice. All my stuff works just fine from 12Vto 14V. I know there are some LED bulbs that have a tolerance. Mine are good to 17V I think. (And any thing below 12V is walking the line of hurting your battery of course.)

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets