My New Cast Iron Griddle/Grill Pan

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

My New Cast Iron Griddle/Grill Pan

Postby Catherine+twins » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:34 am

I found it on Amazon. And it came with a stove! :lol:

Catherine

(Oh, and of course there is a story! viewtopic.php?f=29&t=62337)
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Re: My New Cast Iron Griddle/Grill Pan

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:42 pm

Oh, yuck, the griddle has fake seasoning. I'm going to run it through the dish washer and do the flax seed oil seasoning on it instead.

Catherine
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby GerryS » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:15 am

Beeswax....season it with beeswax I tell you. Same technique, but you'll have something that is as nonstick as the most expensive Teflon and non poisonous. One word of caution , be sure you only use 100% beeswax....buy it from your local apiary (beekeeper) or if you must you can get it in Amazon.

As an added bonus, we keep a stick of wax near our cast iron griddle....it's easy to reach over, grab the block, and give it a fresh layer with ease,

It doesn't make your food taste like honey, but you will get a brief honey smell when you initially apply it. Seriously....awesome.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wagondude » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Just to add to the bee's wax suggestion, Many bee keepers also make products like lip balm from the wax they recover from the hives. Have them make you a tube without any additives for an easy to carry contained touchup stick. Or just clean a tube and pack your own in it.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Yes, I buy bars of bees wax from a bee-keeper who sells at the local farmer's market. There's an oddly-shaped one in the kitchen junk drawer because I do use it on hot pans to touch them up. :D

I've done both methods, flax-seed and wax. Most recently I found the flax-seed method produced better seasoning on a bread pan. OTOH, my round griddle got the flax-seed treatment first and then wax, and it has a glassy surface. I have to chase my egg around on that one! So I'm leaning towards a hybrid treatment for this griddle.

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Return to Cast Iron