Mark's Weekender-XL build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Mark's Weekender-XL build

Postby Gold5one » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:34 pm

bc toys wrote:1st Let me say I like your build you put a lot of thought into it When you get done you will have a nice trailer to use
2nd I was always told its not good to set a battery on concrete that it will drain them fast (IS THIS A WISE TAIL)
3rd I like you gen think it will do what you want it to
and last keep up the good work

Thanks for the support. I'm anxious to get finished, but that 2 week break was good as it let me think about the inside and maximize it for my use= a mobile man cave for my travels and hobbies.
When I did RV tech work I was envious of the guys who had 5th wheels and toy haulers with generators. I know how valuable it is to have AC power away from a campground. Tomorrow I will decide how to mount it and how long of a chain I need to run it next to my camper- I think 8ft of dog chain should be enough- to keep honest people honest.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:52 am

I got some work done on my generator storage compartment this weekend. Removing the 45 lb refrigerator gave me weight allowance for the generator without increasing my hitch weight. I designed the storage platform to be cantilever mounted off the front 2 cross members by using bolted supports underneath. The weight doesn't bear on the a-frame hitch channels. I did this so as not to change the load design/dynamics of the front a-frame.
I am thinking about an end goucho now, there is plenty of room for one- and some storage underneath- would that be desirable? I measured 33" from the front inside wall to the edge of the door frame :thinking:
- my 80 yr old neighbor does boat & RV cushion work and wants to sew me up some nice cushions- he has lots of leftover material- I'll give this some thought.
I removed almost 15lbs of wood when I demo'd the front- I had used 2x4's and 1/2" plywood- (overbuilt)- I think the new front end will be no heavier, even though it is bigger.
I am going to investigate getting some white 16" embossed aluminum for the sides- they use it for kick panels in screen rooms here- and aluminum tread plate for the front hinged fold down door.
I still need to fiberglass all the corners of the plywood where I boxed in for the generator.
Last edited by Gold5one on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:56 am

The generator will be pulled out of the storage compartment to run- that is the only safe way to operate one.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:47 pm

I decided to add a gear carry platform on the back. I re-purposed a 10lb welded steel frame from our daughter's old futon. It's been in the back of my garage for a couple years- I was saving it for some future use- well the day has come.
It's bolted to the rear frame channel and the front is supported by two 5/16" all thread. The platform is 47" wide and 30" deep- sticks out 14" past the back of the camper, so I will need a couple reflectors. I now have no problem taking gear with me- as long as I keep the weight down to no more than 40lbs. I tested it by standing on the back-- there was no problem supporting my weight. The back is raised 3" above level to avoid grounding out on dips and rutted roads.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Tomorrow will be the coldest day of the year here (going back 5 years)- sunny and a high of 57 degrees & 33 on Friday morning. By the weekend it will be back up to 75-80. My coconut trees may see some light cold damage to the fronds.
I bought my foil backed foam board at Lowes today and a Qt of discontinued Olympic Woodland oil stain/sealer- (natural/neutral) for $5- for the boards on my rear cargo deck. I also noticed that paint and stain prices had gone up, $2-3/gal across the board.
Ran my generator with a load for 30 minutes- it stared on the 3rd pull.
Maybe I will install some foam board tomorrow, after the sun warms up the inside.
As I was staining my boards, I was looking at the rear of my Weekender and I had an epiphany- :dancing:
I can easily have a cold water sink, drain and gray water tank- it will be so easy to do and shouldn't add very many pounds, if I have enough sq-ft to work it in. I hate the idea of brushing my teeth in a rest stop.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:24 pm

It is so windy today- I hope this cold front blows through in 24hrs. I finished my cargo platform- or maybe it's a back porch. I can see me using it in a lot of ways. That's my constant companion of over 10 years, Sparky, who is a playful Silky Terrier.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:56 pm

Nice! I was wondering what the heck you needed extra cargo room for on the outside, since you have so much space inside, but having a nice permanent "park bench" to relax on makes a lot more sense. You look the part, too, chillin' out relaxing! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:09 pm

I seemed to run into a dead end everytime I started a project this weekend. I managed to built my single mattress frame, then when I thought about installing it, I realized I need to decide How High?
I measured plastic milk crates, storage tubs, etc., and determined the height that would work best for me.
I was going to build a front overhead storage cabinet, but a trip to Lowes gave me a better plan- and more versatile-
I have a goal-- a campable Weekender-XL for my 65th birthday , which is six weeks away.
As a Florida bonus, on your 65th birthday, residents no longer need to purchase any fishing licenses- oh, happy day! :dancing:
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:06 am

I'm liking your build. Generous but not overly so.

I went to an RV show this weekend with a friend who is considering full-timing. Manufacturers seem to think everyone wants to sleep 10 people in 20 feet of camper. If you are going it alone you have to build it yourself to get it right.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Gold5one » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:33 am

rebapuck wrote:I'm liking your build. Generous but not overly so.

I went to an RV show this weekend with a friend who is considering full-timing. Manufacturers seem to think everyone wants to sleep 10 people in 20 feet of camper. If you are going it alone you have to build it yourself to get it right.

Thanks-
I should have some interior pictures by the end of the week-
added: I have a scar on my forearm from a 1969 VW Bus engine change (I did a top overhaul) that - kinda slipped on me a little bit off the jack- I reacted too fast , jerked my arm out of the engine compartment and I torn a nasty gash in my arm from some sheet metal- I was 25.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:52 pm

It's been slow going this past 2 weeks, but I am plugging along. I find that a couple hours of inside work is all I can do, before my neck gets tired of being bent over. I am putting the wall paneling on with lath screws so it can be removed, which has happened a few times already- like today. I realized I had forgotten to put the wires in for the front marker lights. I am hopeful I can finish the inside walls by next weekend. It took me a day to add another Ham/CB radio antenna mount on the side wall near the front. I had one so, I used it- you can see the coax in the picture. My aluminum .063" tread plate arrived this past week for the front generator compartment- I bought a 24"x48" piece off of ebay for $45 (shipped) and the seller kindly sheared it in two pieces- 16" wide for the 3 compartment pieces and the 8" wide piece will be used across the bottom in front as a stone guard.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Wall paneling is done! :) I set up the bed and gauged the ergonomics of the inside space. I may have to downsize my counter size, if I want to have room for a relaxing camp chair inside- which is a higher priority.
The bed is a couple inches too high, so I will fix that tomorrow. I'm going to use outdoor carpet made from recycled water bottles, instead of vinyl tile ( too heavy)- Costco had a roll of the carpet , 6' x9', on sale for $13.99. It has a surprisingly soft feel. I will only need to trim 6" off of two sides to fit. I'm building a small 2 door cabinet above the curb side wheel well. I will have one of my 12v jacks on the top- to recharge cellular devices.
The 12v battery and A/C inverter will be in the bottom of the cabinet-- that will help balance out the bed's weight on the other side. I have three 12vDc lights- one ceiling in the back and two wall lights, and a 12vdc outside entry night-light below the awning window. I found out that Rural King has good prices on that stuff- Under $6 for lights.
Next winter, I will look into building a fold down couch/bed for even more room.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:21 am

I wanted to mention the screws I have used for my wall and ceiling paneling- Lath screws. ( we do a lot of stucco in Florida) They have a more finished look than regular flat head screws and the heads are wider. I read a comment by one builder last year that his 12v lights had stopped working after a few years-- and I assume they stayed broken, because he had permanently attached his interior paneling, so there was no way to find the break.
I decided to use screws (no glue) so I can later remove the paneling for alterations and repairs, if needed.
The 1" ones are 170 per box, 3/4" --200/box, for a little over $5/box at the big box stores.
Also, I forgot to mention that the height of my Weekender-XL is 83", so it will fit in a garage with a full 7ft tall door opening. I think it has settled down on the springs an inch, as I was afraid it might go over 84" when I first started my project.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:00 pm

I finished the .063" aluminum that encloses the generator compartment- 5 separate pieces in all.
The front door was made 1" oversize in width. I had to figure out how to bend a flange without a bending brake-- my jerry rig worked, I just gently hammered it over with a 2lb hammer.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:42 pm

I finished the generator compartment today. It's only for storage, not to run the generator in. Now I can concentrate on the inside again.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals