Cold weather Advice

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Cold weather Advice

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:28 pm

Ok, this will probably seem silly to some of you, but I've lived in Southern Ca my whole life. I going on a business trip to Wisconsin next week and I don't know what clothes to wear ,especially shoes.
I'll be in an office environment while I'm there, but what about between the hotel and the car?
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: Cold weather Advice

Postby dustboy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:08 pm

Not many people know this, but lederhosen and a pink frilly hat will keep you really warm. :R

I'm a CA boy myself, but we go to visit my inlaws a lot in MKE right off of the lake...When it's 20 degrees with a 30 mph wind, everyone draws straws to see who has to walk the dog. Long underwear makes a huge difference (although it's not very comfy if you're indoors all day), along with a hat and scarf and a good heavy wool jacket. Pretty much anything you can find that is wool is a good idea.
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:12 am

Tom,

Layers.

Forecast looks like teens in the daytime and around zero at night.
High top shoes or boots if you have them, along with tall socks.
May or may not be slush. Salt used for deicing can ruin a good pair of shoes. Clean them after contact or wear rubber over boots.
Depending on how long you'll be outside, a tee shirt, then a long sleeved tee shirt, and then your long sleeved work shirt will go a long way toward keeping you warm.
A decent coat, gloves, and a hat if you don't have a hood.
A little cold isn't hard to deal with, but the wind can chill you very quickly if you are outside for very long.
If you only have to walk 50' between buildings, don't worry much...

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lrrowe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:43 am

I agree. My experiences were flying into Milwauke for work and living in central Michigan for 4 years. Stay inside and move quickly outside. Temps next week should be quite cold.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Dress in layers!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:17 pm

I don't know how old you are, but make sure to take your rubbers. :thumbsup:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Boy I sure remember them. I hated them as a kid and young man and do not think I could find a way to use them today. But then again at my age, I do not have to go out in that stuff if I do not want to.

:lol: :lol:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Stay home. ;)

I spent 38 years, 10 months and 29 days living in Manitoba before we moved to New Mexico, not counting temporary absences.
Our son is very happy we moved. So am I. :D
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby wagondude » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:11 pm

To add to what others have said about layers, Wool socks are your friend. If you don't like the feel of the wool, add a pair if thin dress socks inside them. I work for a package delivery company. My first few winters were miserable. Then I learned that if you keep your feet, hands and head warm, everything else stays warm. Also the key to staying warm is to NOT wear Cotton. Cotton looses it's ability to keep you warm as it absorbs perspiration. A light or mid weight base layer and wool socks will keep you warm outside without being too hot inside. I have managed to do my deliveries without putting a jacket on in all but the coldest local weather (think around -10* F). Silk long johns will keep you quite warm without making you feel bulked up and they also breath so you don't over heat indoors.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Old hunter truism...

If you're cold, put on a hat! If you're still cold, put on another hat!!

Your body will scavenge blood flow from your extremities to try and keep your head warm If you don't insulate your noggin, you'll never stay warm.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks for the recommendations,
Not going isn't an option ( unless the weather gets worse and the flight gets cancelled). So, I've ordered some fancy long underwear ( I didn't get silk, but the new wicking synthetic), some gloves and I dug out the knit cap and thermal socks I got for christmas. Hopefully that will be enough to get me through 2 1/2 days. ( the high is supposed to be 10 on wed).
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby minstrel » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Just a thought for you northerners.....In Arizona, our idea of a blizzard is a trip to Dairy Queen!!! :)
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:43 pm

minstrel wrote:Just a thought for you northerners.....In Arizona, our idea of a blizzard is a trip to Dairy Queen!!! :)

Yep, I haven't shoveled any sunshine either!
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:34 am

Well, I've survived my trip to the cold north. The highs were under 20 the whole time I was there. I ended up getting "silk tech" long underwear. It's not silk but it's a wicking fabric that did a good job keeping my legs warm. Without making me too hot indoors. I was in standard shoes most of the time, but I switched to some warm boots on the last day when it was 2 in the am when I went to work. My feet were much warmer on that day. I got my first experience driving in the snow. On my trip to the airport I saw 5 accidents. Lucky for me this guy from San Diego didn't cause any of them.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:59 am

:thumbsup:

We had snow last night here
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Off Topic