Questions About 4x8 Harbor Freight Trailer Capacity

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Questions About 4x8 Harbor Freight Trailer Capacity

Postby Vernacular » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:26 pm

I am planning my first TD, outlined in another thread here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=62213

I am currently gathering parts and wish to start with the trailer itself. The HF website shows two of the 4x8: The first is described as Super Duty, with a listed capacity of 1720 lbs.(#69897 or 94564), while the folding one is listed as Heavy Duty, with a listed capacity of 1195 lbs. (#90154). The non-folding one goes for $499, on sale for $369, while the folder goes for $399, on sale for $299. The only difference I see in the specs is that the non-folder wears a slightly wider tire. But the Super Duty seems to have a 5-lug wheel, while the folder seems have only four.

Since I plan to use this build as a cargo hauler, I'm thinking an extra 70 bucks might be money well-spent. Plus my boat trailer wears 5-lug tires on 12" wheels, so I could use the same spare or mix-n-match as needed. I need to confirm what I think I see in the website pictures and get some input from the forum on the folding vs. non-folding versions. What do ya'll think?
Vernacular
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Questions About 4x8 Harbor Freight Trailer Capacity

Postby KennethW » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:51 pm

The super duty also has a 2" ball.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gold5one » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:52 am

If you are pushing a build that weights 2000 lbs, I think you need a bigger frame- I went with the 1195 lb version as 1500 lbs is the max I could see for a homebuilt camper- 1000 lbs for the camper and 500 lbs max for gear and supplies. I did strengthen the A-frame tongue on mine as it seemed to be the weakest part.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:51 am

I built chubby on a damaged H.F. trailer . I wound up using the axle cradle and the tongue as the boulder they tried to load on the poor thing did in the frame. :?

When I was finished with my build and with him ready to camp I took it to the scrap steel yard and asked if they would weigh him. The result 1830 pounds. I have no idea what frame was originally selected as I bought it off of Craigslist for $75.00 I did reinforce the tongue and built a light gage tube steel frame out of some dock railings to replace the bent and mangled frame but the springs are the springs and the tires are the tires and it is still going down the road just fine.

My biggest concern was the flexing of the stock tongue so a center member was later added and welded to the center run of the tubing.

New member is on the bottom the dock rail frame on top and a gusset plate welded to both....Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Radacalman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:57 pm

HF has a 20% off coupon for a single purchase (download online or in all their flyers) which will bring your cost down $60-$70!
Radacalman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gold5one » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Yes, they will give you 20% off the sale price with the coupon. I used one on mine.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Jim.M » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:29 pm

my build has gotten bigger and heavier than I expected... a 'lightly-loaded' camping trip left me at about 1450 lbs gross... right at the top of the gross for the 1195 capacity folding trailer. I was looking to upgrade the folder with some burly materials, or just buy the 1720lb heavy duty outright.

I visited my local harbor freight, and this is what I can see by looking at 1195 cap folder vs. 1720 lb heavy-duty:

differences 1720 vs 1195:

2" coupler, vs 1 7/8"
no cross-member on tongue, vs. cross-member on tongue
cross-members and tongue are lipped c-channel, vs standard channel
rails have holes big enough for stakes cut into top of rail, vs bolt-holes for stake holders (bolted to outside of rail)
round axle, vs c-channel axle
round u-bolts for axle, vs square u-bolts for axle
5 on 4.5 hub, vs 4 on 4 hub
5.8x12 tires, vs 4.8x12 tires
spring mount doesn't have metal tab for attaching casters, vs has metal tab for casters

as far as I can tell, everything else is the same. the 1720 used to be sold as a folder as well. springs are the same, tongue dimensions are same, the piece that the coupler bolts to is the same.
rails are the same, with the exception of the stake holes vs stake holder bolts. the 1720's rails even have the extra bolt holes at the middle for attaching the hinge from when it was a folder, and the spring mount has cutouts for the hinges to nestle into. rails seem to be same dimension and material for both trailers.

according to the web site, the 1720 heavy-duty weighs less than the 1195 folder. I think in the olden days when the 1720 was a folder, it was 1800lb capacity.

I was considering ordering the axle, hubs, front cross-member and tongue (2 pieces) to upgrade my trailer. But I'm guessing it will be cheaper/easier to just buy the whole 1720 heavy-duty and attach my build to the new trailer.
Jim.M
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:18 pm

<snip with edits>
I agree with you, these are probably the most significant strength adders out of the ones you listed:
2" coupler, vs 1 7/8"
no cross-member on tongue, vs. cross-member on tongue
cross-members and tongue are lipped c-channel, vs standard channel
round axle, vs c-channel axle (corresponding round u-bolts for axle, vs square u-bolts for axle)
5 on 4.5 hub, vs 4 on 4 hub
5.8x12 tires, vs 4.8x12 tires

... I'm guessing it will be cheaper/easier to just buy the whole 1720 heavy-duty and attach my build to the new trailer.</snip>
I'm guessing you are correct. :thumbsup: :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ToNIX » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Bumping this, are the extras on the 1720lb trailer worth it over the 1195lb one (considering a light weight build, where the extra capacity isn't important)?
ToNIX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ukewarrior » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:33 am

I own both trailers.

For the money, you should buy the 'super duty' version.

1. Better wheels. Class B tires vs. Class C tires. Larger tires in width and diameter. This alone should seal the deal for you
2. The frame is better on the super duty. The folding version has three sided steel members. The super duty has 4 sided with the 4'th side partially open.
3. The super duty outside frame members have fewer holes to rust due to the lack of external stake pockets on the super duty unlike the folding unit.
4. Obviously, better, stronger axle on the super duty.

These are not the same trailer. Many things are similar; but for $70 more the super duty is well worth it regardless of the weight of your build.
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby vincigj » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:56 am

Go with the 5 on 4.5. Gives you lots of choices on rims when you upgrade the wheels. I bought a red trailer folder and am pushing the weight rating at 1000#s. Good luck.
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ToNIX » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks for the info, I'm leaning towards the 1720lbs version.

Does every HF store carries them (I don't live in the US, I'll be travelling there soon)?

Does it also comes in 2 big boxes like the 1195lb trailer? I assume one box will be quite long since you can't fold it?
ToNIX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jim.M » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:54 am

ToNIX wrote:Thanks for the info, I'm leaning towards the 1720lbs version.

Does every HF store carries them (I don't live in the US, I'll be travelling there soon)?

Call ahead and see if they have it in stock. bring along your 20% off coupon for extra savings.

Make your purchase, then go back inside with another 20% off coupon to buy a spare tire/wheel combo. Or have your buddy buy it if your shopping trip is being done by posse.

ToNIX wrote:Does it also comes in 2 big boxes like the 1195lb trailer? I assume one box will be quite long since you can't fold it?

I don't know the box dimensions, call the store and ask. The longest pieces are the side rails at about 48". According to the web site, the 1720lb trailer weighs less than the 1195!
Jim.M
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ToNIX » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Jim.M wrote:
ToNIX wrote:Thanks for the info, I'm leaning towards the 1720lbs version.

Call ahead and see if they have it in stock. bring along your 20% off coupon for extra savings.

Make your purchase, then go back inside with another 20% off coupon to buy a spare tire/wheel combo. Or have your buddy buy it if your shopping trip is being done by posse.

ToNIX wrote:Does it also comes in 2 big boxes like the 1195lb trailer? I assume one box will be quite long since you can't fold it?

I don't know the box dimensions, call the store and ask. The longest pieces are the side rails at about 48". According to the web site, the 1720lb trailer weighs less than the 1195!

Thank you for the info! I hope there's still a 20% coupon in July.
ToNIX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Graniterich » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Two boxes, one is about four and one half feet by18 "by about 8" Really heavy! .The other is square about 24" x 24"x 16“
Graniterich
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets