Diabeties

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Diabeties

Postby dales133 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:36 am

So I've been feeling realy crap lately and finally went to the DR witch is rare for me and he did the finger prick thing and I got a reading of 27 and aparantly 10 is normal.
Pretty unhappy to hear that I'm now blessed with a "chronic disease".....
I'm somewhere between denial, shock and anger at the moment not to mention a bit emotional!
Anyone else living with this bastard thing that could shed some words of wisdom or a glimmer of hope on this subject?
Cheers Dale
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Re: Diabeties

Postby backstrap bandit » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:56 am

Dales I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis but you should be thankful it isn't worse I just had a very dear fried was feeling bad dr diagnosed her with flue didn't get better went to another dr he found cancer in both lungs went to md anderson in Houston they found cancer in ribs and hip bones one treatment done now and again another dr found brain cancer all within a month many people live with diabetics with a good quality of life just monitor your levels and take your Meds and you will be just fine a matter of fact I'm just the opposite I'm hypoglycemic and have learned to keep sugar around at all times and know when it's time time to eat some before it gets too bad . So heads up bud it's not bad as it may seem get out there and do some camping
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 am

Thanks mate and sorry to hear about your friend that's terrible.
I realy don't know alot about diabetes or what I have to give up ect but I like a beer and a scotch and a nice steak or bacon and eggs.... not altogether pleased to hear about the whole blindness thing when I've been having blurred vision.
Hopefully it just my sugar levels are so high.
Going back to the dr tomorrow for the full blood work and some more information.
Thanks for the encouragement bandit
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhav » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:37 am

dales,
I got that laid on me about 16 years ago. I wasn't fit to be around for months, I had a REAL attitude. I finally decided that mood was really cutting into my fun. I started grazing and zeroed in on being me. Well, I'm still here, no stumps and still see well enough to drive legally without glasses. All I can say is buck up, you may do better than.

Life has rules, finally found a copy of them, then I found out that I couldn't change them.

Bob H.
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby razorback » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:15 am

If you actually have diabetes hope that is type II and not full blown diabetes. Type II can almost always be controlled with diet and exercise. Took me a full year to realize that diet was so important. Lower your carbs dramatically and exercise by walking and the blood levels should stabilize.
best of luck.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:29 am

I found out I had it 20 plus years ago. Yes it has problems that go along with it. But I live the life I want and try (magic word try) to do all things in moderation and do try to avoid pastries and such altogether. I have lost 20 lbs and I have to keep my exercise up which is hard to do with a bad back. Everyone is different, but again I manage mine with "moderation". Oh and the my darn medication costs are high.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks for all the reply s they give me some food for thought and isn't so true that life has a handbook and sometimes when you find it it's too late.
I guess what angers me the most is I never have sugar in anything , I don't eat candy, chocolate , pies or anything.i don't drink coke or sweet drinks except for sugar free red bull.
I do eat alot of meet and drink more than recommended but I never considered myself high risk...I'm only 8 kg at the most overweight and have been my ideal bodyweight for most of the last 15 years or so.
That's the hard pill to swallow.
Encouraging to see you guys doing well
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Could be hereditary!
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Yea mum hasn't got it but dad was like me....never went to the dr so could have lived with it for years.
Now after being diagnosed it all makes sense...I've had this for a couple of years at least going by the symptoms
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:45 pm

Just be careful, take your meds and just enjoy the rest of your life.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby mrsteve » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:19 pm

I was diagnosed in 1999 with type two, I was devastated. My glucose level was so high the doctor didn't know why I wasn't in a coma. I was at the doctors office to renew my medical certificate for my pilots license. Guess what? That went away for a while 'till I could prove that I had diabetes under control. It took me 9 months but I went from an a1c of 11.3 to 7.3. It can be done but it takes discipline and the desire to do it. I love flying so I had the motivation. When you start looking at food product labels remember all sugars are in the carbs so you don't have to even look at grams of sugar. Loose the extra weight and pay attention to what you eat along with exercise and you should live a pretty normal life. alcohol throws my readings off the charts for about 2 weeks, even 1 cold beer on a hot day.
Many people before us have done it, so will you.
mrsteve
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jss06 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:30 pm

My brother was diagnosed when his girlfriend found him on the couch in an almost comatose state. He actually coded in the er. they managed to stabilize him and he spent a month in the icu and another 2 months in the hospital before they let him go home. Testing showed his a1c was off the chart for several months before that happened. 2 years later he us still recovering. He will be on insulin for the rest of his life. He lost one toe but otherwise pulled through without serious harm. I am lucky in that I don't have high blood sugar. Given my family history it is a miracle but I also watch what I eat. Stay on top of it or you may end up like my brother.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Beer will definatly be the hard one for me
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby felixx » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:50 pm

Dude, sorry about your health concern,
Im pleased you have a diagnosis though.