My Wiring Diagram, thoughts? Concerns?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: My Wiring Diagram, thoughts? Concerns?

Postby MtnDon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:51 pm

I am not an electrician but I listen to electricians and have been told several times by different sources that the NEC requires all ground rods in a system to be all connected together with copper wire that is one piece or uses approved connectors, or is thermowelded or somehow otherwise connected in an irreversible manner. The reason as was explained to me is that if there are two grounds, not directly connected together, there can be a difference in potential between them. That can cause malfunction of devices in the system. I do not remember all the details, but do know I have been instructed to avoid ground rods that have no direct connection between them as previously described. FWIW, When I built our cabin and did the electrical myself the inspector checked to see how my ground rods were connected and passed the installation.

When you connect to a campground electrical distribution system you become part of that system. Therefore you should not place a ground rod that is not directly connected to whatever other ground rods there are in the system.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Skip the driven ground rod... NEC specifices a 8 ft rod to be effective, and its extra work and may cause you problem as campground owner does not what you doing this and what if you drive rod into electrical system or water system.... I SAY THIS BECAUSE you don't know whats under the ground you are pounding rod into....

Get circuit tester and learn to believe in it.... IF tester shows a problem with receptacle in campground, do not plug into it.... Learn to believe in the tools and leave wives tales and witchcraft at home...

This is all you need and learn to believe in it, this predicated on your trailer being wired correctly , not what you do at camp site (driving your own illegal ground) or what the receptacle at campsite is wired as...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:57 pm

+1 for what Dale said. Get a tester, use it, trust it.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:15 pm

daveesl77 wrote: A good way to do wiring in a trailer is to use good 3 wire extension cords, 12 ga or bigger.
dave

While not allowed in wiring buildings.
Assuming good mechanical & electrical practices, This works well for homebuilt trailers.
There are dozens of classes of 'extension cord' But in general use good quality vinyl extension cord.
The rubber insulated & jacketed while its generally more durable to mechanical stresses,
will deteriorate over time & become brittle. It takes years, (one reason its not allowed in buildings)
But lifespan is much less than vinyl.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Biker_Boy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:36 pm

A good type of wire for campers is "boat wire". This is a fine stranded very flexible wire that can be purchased in single strand or in a "Romex" type configuration. I have purchased from www.bestboatwire.com and have been very happy with the product. Good for wiring on the tow vehicle also.
Bob
Biker_Boy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GerryS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:07 am

For quick connects, the Anderson Power Poles are awesome too!
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets