Wooden Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Wooden Frame

Postby TrailerEd » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:22 am

TrailerEd wrote:
len19070 wrote:These Teardrops had wooden Frames.

Len,
Can you tell me what style/kind/flavor/brand name this one is?
Was it yours?
Do you know where I could view more photos of it?
I am liking the style/looks of this one. The looks of it really appeal to us. 8)
Thanks
Ed

After some research I found out this is a Scotty Sportsman Jr. :thumbsup:
SO excited! Now I can begin to plan a build. I have settled on this design to try a replicate the look but add some modern materials and components!
Thanks Len for sending me that picture, even tho I was asking about frames. I am glad you did. It has inspired me to get to going! 8)
Do it Right, or Don't do it at All.
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby iregan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:02 am

Weren't a lot of the old Apache tent trailers mostly wood frames? seems to me I remember seeing pics underneath and there wasn't much there other than a bolt on tongue, and some channel tubing bolted where the leaf springs were. I don't see why it wouldn't work, other than safety bylaws. To be honest I think a simple treated wood frame would be a lot stronger than some of the flimsy angle iron or bedframe trailers you see out there now. If wood frames are good enough for Morgan cars (still being made out of ash) then its good enough for me!. I wouldn't use thick pieces, I would laminate thinner pieces together and then fiberglass it. To be honest, I really don't see why a teardrop needs a real frame anyway, build it unibody style and it should be perfectly adequate.
Regan
iregan
Teardrop Builder

Postby TrailerEd » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:31 pm

iregan wrote:Weren't a lot of the old Apache tent trailers mostly wood frames? seems to me I remember seeing pics underneath and there wasn't much there other than a bolt on tongue, and some channel tubing bolted where the leaf springs were. I don't see why it wouldn't work, other than safety bylaws. To be honest I think a simple treated wood frame would be a lot stronger than some of the flimsy angle iron or bedframe trailers you see out there now. If wood frames are good enough for Morgan cars (still being made out of ash) then its good enough for me!. I wouldn't use thick pieces, I would laminate thinner pieces together and then fiberglass it. To be honest, I really don't see why a teardrop needs a real frame anyway, build it unibody style and it should be perfectly adequate.
Regan

You make a very good point about the uni-body style frame on teardrops. Most are trying to make them as lite as possible so why all the fuss over steel frames.
I suppose it is all up to what you need to do to get it titled in your home state!
I am going to build a wood frame at some point just because I want the fun and the challenge!
Thanks for your input.
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:40 am

How old of an apache tent trailer? Mine was almost all aluminum.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jonw » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:49 am

TrailerEd wrote:I have read Mike's Ultra lite design ideas. I would want to have a steel tube tongue. I am thinking half torsion axles as well.

Here's another alternative (and what I did): go frameless using marine plywood, torsion axle, and a separately attached tongue (mine is welded tubing but you could make one out of wood if you really wanted to). Check out my build and refurb journals below in my sig...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:22 pm

KCStudly wrote:Love the added coil spring and super sketchy upper mount for same in the pic Rob posted.

Not only that, but is that the tip of a fence picket ? :shock:

One issue that hasn't been addressed is that when these classic trailers were built the quality of the wood available was much, much better than it is today. If you can find a specialty miller, it might be an option. It would be tougher to do with typical plantation-grown lumberyard stock.
We run across this all the time with old boats - I can repower them with anything you want, but replacing timbers usually means laminating them from lesser stock than what was originally used....which may be a good option since the original builders didn't have the epoxies we do...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:31 pm

One last dig; take a look at the U-bolts holding the coil spring perch to the axle. Long enough, ya' think? :lol:

I guess I shouldn't throw stones; at least they were out camping!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:42 pm

One last dig; take a look at the U-bolts holding the coil spring perch to the axle. Long enough, ya' think? :lol:

I guess I shouldn't throw stones; at least they were out camping!

You forgot the muffler clamp... ;)

I've had that picture for years, been holding on to it 'cause I knew sooner or later it would be good for something!

It sure is a good guide on how not to add coil springs!

Rob
Last edited by 48Rob on Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:50 pm

One last one last; ...and the stack of washers under the nuts on the U-bolts of that muffler clamp.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby TrailerEd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:52 pm

jonw wrote:
TrailerEd wrote:I have read Mike's Ultra lite design ideas. I would want to have a steel tube tongue. I am thinking half torsion axles as well.

Here's another alternative (and what I did): go frameless using marine plywood, torsion axle, and a separately attached tongue (mine is welded tubing but you could make one out of wood if you really wanted to). Check out my build and refurb journals below in my sig...

I see! Thanks for sharing!
So have you had any problem with the holes in the floor wobbling out from the impact of hitting bumps on the road?
I actually was thinking about a welded tube triangle tongue. and bolting the half torsion's thru a solid block of hardwood in the floor. Maybe sleeve the bolt holes with a pc of round steel tubing the thickness of the floor.
I think I am gonna have to build several trailers to fit all my ideas into.
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TrailerEd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:57 pm

Wobbly Wheels wrote:
KCStudly wrote:Love the added coil spring and super sketchy upper mount for same in the pic Rob posted.

Not only that, but is that the tip of a fence picket ? :shock:

One issue that hasn't been addressed is that when these classic trailers were built the quality of the wood available was much, much better than it is today. If you can find a specialty miller, it might be an option. It would be tougher to do with typical plantation-grown lumberyard stock.
We run across this all the time with old boats - I can repower them with anything you want, but replacing timbers usually means laminating them from lesser stock than what was originally used....which may be a good option since the original builders didn't have the epoxies we do...

I agree that wood these days is so inferior to that of old. Rushed milling and dry times make for crap wood. That is why I was saying a guy could use some reclaimed timbers from some old barn. Most of them oak that is up to 100 years old. Well seasoned, dry and as it ages becomes rock hard.
I have some old timbers from a floor system in an old ice house from KC. We took the floor out. The stuff is heavy and hard as all get out.
Would make a great frame????? Now making me think????? :thinking:
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby iregan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:37 pm

[quote="bobhenry"]How old of an apache tent trailer? Mine was almost all aluminum.

Hmmm, maybe it wasn't apache then, Bob. I seem to remember seeing a small tent trailer that had a bolt on tongue to a frame similar to yours but wood, with angle iron reinforcing where the leaf springs were. Thought it was apache, lol. The tongue looked very similar to the ones you can get for towing cars, except no hinges.
I like the marine plywood idea, that's what I would use! I would run a metal tongue all the way down the frame though, or at least half way.
Regan
iregan
Teardrop Builder

Postby jonw » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 am

TrailerEd wrote:I see! Thanks for sharing!
So have you had any problem with the holes in the floor wobbling out from the impact of hitting bumps on the road?
Ed

The torsion axle holes go thru the floor and a 2x2 block of wood cleat that joins the floor and the wall, and a thick metal washer plate. The bolts have lock washers and nuts on them so there's no loosening or slippage after 20,000 miles so far. I check them for tightness at the beginning of each season.

You can see them in this picture:

The tongue is bolted thru the floor in 4 places also through washer plates on top of the floor and it too has been fine.

The stiffness and dimensional stability of the 3/4in marine ply floor has a lot to do with why this works (IMHO).
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby TrailerEd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:17 am

Jon,
Thank you for sharing. I can see where this whole approach to a wooden floor, uni-body, frame, etc... is plenty sufficient for use in a teardrop, as the weight factors and such are not like a regular flatbed trailer or full size campers. It is really helpful to have this advice from people who have actually done these things and can give feedback over speculation. Thanks again.
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:14 pm

in another thread Angieb shared a race car hauler made entirely of wood. of course it was all plywood laminated with marine epoxy. the only real difference came from the thickness of the web (height of the vertical members in the "frame"). they were a foot or so tall to make a wood beam able to withstand the flex and load. The designer used this space well, it was all storage space under the car deck, with lots of access hatches.
instead of a ramp, the car was lifted in and out with a crane arm.
The designer got the idea after building the wings for his race car.
As others have mentioned, you could just attach a steel tounge to the floor and also attach the axle to the floor (dexter flex ride would be best for this) A properly built teardrop is a very strong box, most of the time the frame is just extra weight.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets