Rustoleum Professional Aluminum Gloss Protective Enamel

Finishes, paints and coatings

Rustoleum Professional Aluminum Gloss Protective Enamel

Postby tjj300 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:31 am

Anybody use this on their canvas covered teardrop? I'm planning on doing a poor-mans fiberglassed build using TBIII, and I like the look of old fabric covered aluminum painted aircraft. I'm also thinking of adding hardener (I know I'll need a respirator), but I'll probably roll or roll and brush it on because I want it to leaf properly.

Any experience, thoughts or pictures?
tjj300
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rustoleum Professional Aluminum Gloss Protective Enamel

Postby KennethW » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:51 am

Do a sample piece to make test for compatible. I have had Rustoleum lift paint. :x
Just wondering what that would look like with a clear coat over it?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tjj300 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Most bright aluminum paints seem to lose something when clearcoated. A plus for me is that Gripper would be the only thing the Rustoleum would be going over, and any accent stripes or panels will also be Rustoleum. I'll probably do a test panel when it's time, but the hardener makes it difficult because with small quantities it's tough to get the proportions right. I figured I can't be the only one that would paint a teardrop bright aluminum. :)
tjj300
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tac422 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:00 pm

I used this stuff. I'm pretty happy with it. The canvas texture comes through quite a bit, but I like it :)

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56441&start=90

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-P ... /100035776

I did some test pieces, you can find them here in The Big Pink build at :

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56441&start=105
tac422
500 Club

Postby tjj300 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks, tac.

The silver is holding up well? Also, did you paint with a roller, brush, or spray? I'm thinking roller and then a quick brush to knock it down.

I plan on TBIII to glue the canvas down, then a coat of thinned TBIII, then a coat of Gripper, then a good sanding, then either the Rustoleum topcoat or another Gripper coat depending on how smooth things are.

What weight canvas did you use?

Also, how has it been holding up as far as denting?

Thanks.
tjj300
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tac422 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:31 am

The silver is holding up great.
I rolled it in the center and used a brush along the edges.
I put 2 coats of the Aluminum over this Severe Weather Exterior White only because I ran out of Gripper.
I didn't sand at all.

Be aware that every imperfection in the underlayment will show through the canvas.
The Big Pink is foam underneath, but I haven't have any problems at all, and have not had any dents at all.
I might put a third coat of silver on this summer, but I don't really need to. I was planning to, but stopped after two coats.
I think you'll like it, a lot. :thumbsup:
tac422
500 Club

Postby dales133 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:54 am

What is this gripper product?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby tjj300 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Gripper is a Glidden primer that a lot of people who build foamies use to apply and/or prime the canvas covering.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glidden-Prof ... /100166028

Gripper Interior/Exterior Primer & Sealer is a premium acrylic primer and sealer designed to meet the variety of challenges experienced in the residential, commercial and multi-family markets for a multi-purpose primer. This fast-drying, all-purpose, bonding primer and sealer is suitable for interior or exterior application with its excellent adhesion to a variety of surfaces. Ideal for use on properly prepared interior or exterior wood, masonry, plaster, wallboard, cement, brick and stucco.
tjj300
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JamRe26 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:26 am

What canvas are you guys talking about? Because I have seen a post about using painters drop cloth and gluing it on with TBII the using exterior paints and primers over that. Also is it a good idea to preshrunk the canvas before applying to your outside walls so it doesn't crack later?
JamRe26
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ukewarrior » Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 am

yes, you should always pre-shrink your canvas.
The painters drop cloth that folks use is canvas.
But, there are also other canvas sources if you want choices in terms of quality, width without seams, weight of the canvas, etc.
I just got some fantastic overstock canvas at a very good price from big duck canvas. Their canvas is available in widths that allow coverage without seams.
http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/
JamRe26 wrote:What canvas are you guys talking about? Because I have seen a post about using painters drop cloth and gluing it on with TBII the using exterior paints and primers over that. Also is it a good idea to preshrunk the canvas before applying to your outside walls so it doesn't crack later?
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:02 am

I found some fine weave canvas,100% cotton for mine but I thought rule of thumb was to just use latex/acrylic paint. Do I need to primer it first?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ukewarrior » Sun May 24, 2015 1:05 am

The real reason to use primer is that is it usually much less expensive than quality exterior paint !
So, since you will be doing multiple coats on your canvas, you might as well save some money and use a product like gripper for the first coat.

The same is true of the Titebond 3. You can use paint to initially attach your canvas, but the thought is to use the titebond because:
a. it is a glue afterall and
b. it is cheaper per gallon than paint.

I'm planning a canvas tear too. I plan to use: TB III, Gripper primer, Final color(2 coats)

dales133 wrote:I found some fine weave canvas,100% cotton for mine but I thought rule of thumb was to just use latex/acrylic paint. Do I need to primer it first?
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:31 am

Cool. Havnt seen gripper here but I was going to use tb2 and then probably just paint
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby johnandtricia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:45 pm

What do yu mean pre shrink

ukewarrior wrote:yes, you should always pre-shrink your canvas.
The painters drop cloth that folks use is canvas.
But, there are also other canvas sources if you want choices in terms of quality, width without seams, weight of the canvas, etc.
I just got some fantastic overstock canvas at a very good price from big duck canvas. Their canvas is available in widths that allow coverage without seams.
http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/
JamRe26 wrote:What canvas are you guys talking about? Because I have seen a post about using painters drop cloth and gluing it on with TBII the using exterior paints and primers over that. Also is it a good idea to preshrunk the canvas before applying to your outside walls so it doesn't crack later?
johnandtricia
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets