Fiberglassing

Finishes, paints and coatings

Fiberglassing

Postby Da'engineer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:48 am

I've been mulling over my options for the outside of the trailer. And I am leaning towards fiberglassing the outside how much did it cost you to do this?

and advice on what to use?
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Fiberglassing

Postby dales133 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:14 am

I just priced some up and it's pretty expensive stuff.
Are you planning on glassing the whole lot and painting it?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Da'engineer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:03 am

That's what I am leaning towards... I am not completely sure though.
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:13 am

You might want to consider using the canvas/tb2/paint method. Some members have done this and the results look great, but cannot be transparent. I did this on my floor exterior and could not be happier with how it came out. It costs a heck of a lot less than epoxy/glass, cleans up with water during application. I'll also be doing this on parts of my top system that I'm installing now, where the EPDM doesn't cover.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:33 pm

I used Raka 350 non blush epoxy http://www.raka.com/. It was easy to work with. Lots of good into on their web site. I bought a 3 gallon kit with pumps. I ended up needing some more. I used 7 oz fiberglass cloth over my entire teardrop. The cloth was a good sale but you could get by with 3 oz cloth and it would use less epoxy. I used 3-4 coats epoxy with the cloth. To use less epoxy you can just use fiberglass cloth on the seams and then a couple coats on the wood to seal it. How much you need really depends on the size and how many sq ft you are covering. My teardrop is 5x11, has a large tongue box and I also covered the floor top and bottom with cloth and epoxy. I wanted a strong waterproof outside shell where the plywood wouldn't check so I used cloth on everything not just the seams. Total cloth, epoxy, pumps and shipping cost approx $450.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Da'engineer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:35 pm

daveesl77 wrote:You might want to consider using the canvas/tb2/paint method. Some members have done this and the results look great, but cannot be transparent. I did this on my floor exterior and could not be happier with how it came out. It costs a heck of a lot less than epoxy/glass, cleans up with water during application. I'll also be doing this on parts of my top system that I'm installing now, where the EPDM doesn't cover.

dave

I've been mulling this opition over I am not sure though how water proof this opition is. I mean tb3 is water-proof so maybe if suplimented it rather then tb2
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Da Engineer - I can't speak from experience, since I'm just beginning my build, but you can find out a lot about TB2 and/or paint base under canvas or linen in the "foamie" forum by searching out & following a few threads. Look for "Poor Man's Fiberglass". Info is there if you hunt around for both foam & wood properties. There doesn't appear to be any advantage to TB3 over TB2 as far as waterproofing in a teardrop application. Either appear to be as watertight as epoxy/fiberglass. I would guess (and it IS a guess) the big difference is how much structural enhancement each provides..........doug
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Da'engineer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Doug,

I looked at the poor mans fiberglass method my worries is just getting a smooth finish. I guess i a m going to have to do a test with different fabrics. On some 2x4s.
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dales133 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:44 pm

Pretty much any pva glue is waterproof when cured it's why it's used in outdoor construction
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Tom Kurth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:42 pm

Polyester resin is a lot cheaper than epoxy resin. The Raka brand listed above is epoxy--good stuff. Epoxy is more waterproof but unless you're doing a woody it's a probably a good idea to paint over the resin which would help seal it. That being said, an awful lot of boats have been built with polyester. Some delam, especially if left in the water continuously. Polyester resin is also more available. Almost any auto parts store will carry it. If you're going to shelter the camper when not in use, I'd definitely think about using polyester and spend the savings on campsite fees.

Best,
Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Da'engineer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:44 am

Polyester resin eh? Any recommendations on brands?
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pohukai » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:03 am

I used 6oz fiberglass cloth over the entire roof and used polyester resin (3M) from HomeDepot. I've used glass/epoxy before and prefer working with that because of the horrible fumes with polyester resign. If i recall, all of the glass was about $30 and 2 gallons of 3M polyester resign about $75.

I painted the sides and the top with Rustoleum oil based paint. The paint dries very hard and I'm pleased with the outcome.
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 am

I've been fiberglassing for forty years. I started out with polyester and haven't bought a can for twenty years. I much prefer epoxy and will always have a couple of jugs of it in my shop (with the Raka pumps.) .75 ounce fiberglass cloth 50" wide will run about $2.75 a yard. I would think a two-gallon kit would be adequate with that light of cloth. (But there are formulas that will tell you how much per yard. Google 'em.) Raka now sells a UV epoxy resin that's reasonably priced. I'd talk to them as to how resistant the product is to sunlight.

Polyester works and is cheaper. However when you look at the time you put into these projects and the environment they'll live in, I'll stick with epoxy.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Da'engineer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:50 am

Thanks for the input tony. Now that you put it that way it seems more economical.
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OP827 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Do you know anyone who used Titebond 2 with fiberglass cloth to cover plywood or foam of their trailer and how it worked? I tried, but could not find a case just some talking somethin like "yes, it will work too". Thanks !
OP827
Donating Member

Next

Return to Skinning secrets