Aluminium composites

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Aluminium composites

Postby Sheddie » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:38 pm

teddy wrote:
Overnuts wrote:(are far away from Zeeland ? )

Yes, about 300 km from zeeland, so i'd think quite a drive. You're welcome to take a look though :) (old Zeeland Sheddie, not that new one of you :) )

Yes, I am a long way from Zeeland, and I might get a bit wet if I tried to drive from here to there. :lol:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 1TallTXn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:02 pm

For those of you that have used Aluminum composite, what did you use for framing underneath? Wood? Aluminum?
What was the spacing on the vertical spars? Any horizontal spars? (speaking for the walls here)
Thanks!
--Nathan

I'm from Texas, what country are you from?
I like pretty much anything that has buttons, and engine, and/or goes boom.
1TallTXn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jack Olsen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:17 pm

My plan is to use very minimal framing. I'm thinking about aluminum 1" square tubing along the roof line where the walls meet the roof. I will use L-stock to hold the floor. But the composite panels adhered into a monocoque should be stronger than any any fastener-affixed wood frame could be. I'll use structural adhesive and make sure there is a continuous bond wherever two panels meet.

This is my tiny mock-up, showing curved aluminum junction framing and a curved top to the lunch-box-size sample.

The floor is two layers of corrugated plastic.
Jack Olsen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 1TallTXn » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Jack Olsen wrote:My plan is to use very minimal framing. I'm thinking about aluminum 1" square tubing along the roof line where the walls meet the roof. I will use L-stock to hold the floor. But the composite panels adhered into a monocoque should be stronger than any any fastener-affixed wood frame could be. I'll use structural adhesive and make sure there is a continuous bond wherever two panels meet.

This is my tiny mock-up, showing curved aluminum junction framing and a curved top to the lunch-box-size sample.

The floor is two layers of corrugated plastic.

I like it!
Going that route, the framing can be very minimal. Thus cheaper, and even lighter.

I'll need a bit more (I think) around windows/doors and since I want to insulate, it'll need an interior side to the wall.

Thanks for tickling my thinker!
--Nathan

I'm from Texas, what country are you from?
I like pretty much anything that has buttons, and engine, and/or goes boom.
1TallTXn
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets