5 x10 trailer help "A Slow Benroy build"

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: 5 x 10 trailer help

Postby ibbowhunting » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:05 pm

I found a supplier within a couple hours from home the sells .040 prefinished aluminum 5 x10 and 4 x 10 sheets will the thickness work fine for skinning my 5 x10 benroy type td, over plywood?
ibbowhunting
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 5 x10 trailer help "A Slow Benroy build"

Postby ibbowhunting » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:25 pm

I still thinking about design I'm wondering 4ft side walls vs 5 ft side,walls I'm planning on 3/4 plywood walls which I all ready bought 4 x 10 plywood, I'm just wonder if most people wish they went taller with there walls
ibbowhunting
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:58 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:I still thinking about design I'm wondering 4ft side walls vs 5 ft side,walls I'm planning on 3/4 plywood walls which I all ready bought 4 x 10 plywood, I'm just wonder if most people wish they went taller with there walls

If I set straight up and rock to one butt cheek I can just reach the grab bar I installed on the ceiling. I think if you can set upright without feeling coffin like that is great.
I stood my wall sheeting on end to get the height I wanted.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:25 pm

I used all but a pinch of the 4 ft sheet of foam core sitting on top of a 2x2 sill and sat my walls on top of my floor. Inside wall skins running vertical because that is how I wanted the grain to appear, and ceiling on top of walls. Gave me about 49-3/8 inch inside height which seems plenty roomy so far (...w/o the mattress).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Mines a bit on the low side due to the floor and ceiling coming off a 4 foot sheet width and I also trimmed 25mm off the sheet width as where I need to store it has restricted hight access and I tried lowering my subfloor but it made it an Inpracticle space.
I'll edit this later to give you some exact hight but I have ample headroom and I'm 5"10.
In preference I would have liked more headroom but I had several peramiters to work within and as long as I had some headroom it was the least important of these.thats what you'll need to consider as well
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ibbowhunting » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:27 pm

almost got the trailer frame finished up a few more welds and clean up then paint,

will a queen size (60 X 80) bed fit into a 5' wide tear with 3/4 walls? inside should be 58.5" or should I just plan on a full size bed (54 X 75) and if so do most make the floor space for length the same as the beds length in this case 80" or 75"
ibbowhunting
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 pm

will a queen size (60 X 80) bed fit into a 5' wide tear with 3/4 walls?

A high quality, 60" foam mattress will fit inside nicely. My walls are 1.25" thick and it's not a problem.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ibbowhunting » Thu May 14, 2015 9:31 pm

expanded polystyrene ?
will it work for insulation to sandwich then floor and also in the roof insulation, I can get a deal on 1-1/2 and 3/4 sheets
ibbowhunting
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ibbowhunting » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:43 am

ok i knew it was going to be a slow build so with winter upon us, I'm gearing up again to continue my build, trailer is almost ready for paint, I've changed my plans some, I'm think I've committed to building 3/4 skeletonized plywood walls foam and 1/8 or 1/4 plywood inside and out, instead just 3/4 ply walls, the more i think about it I'm not sure i will end up with a benroy design, maybe some what, so I'm kind of stuck on the profile, so i been thinking of using more angles and less curves especially on the front to provide a flat area for the solar panel at the recommended 43 degrees then transition to a radius, what is the minimum radius that I can bend the outer and inner plywood so it is seamless?

right now these are my design standards
Get the most out of the floor space of 5x10, (So no fancy angles on the bottom of the trailer front or rear)
The walls including the trailer frame and floor and roof will not exceed 5 x10 this could change if I find something other then alum sheets to water proof it
I would like to consider aerodynamics and looks i don't want a box on wheels traditional or non doesn't really matter to me

side wall height
1/4" roof ply maximum
1-1/2" roof spar
1/4" ceiling plywood maximum
34" my height sitting
7" maximum mattress thickness
1/2" plywood floor
1-1/2" foam and 2x2 floor supports
1/2" plywood bottom of floor (I'm thinking 1/4 would work and save weight)
3" trailer frame
---------------------------
Total outside wall height minimum 48.5
leaving me 11-1/2 headroom inside the trailer with a maximum 60" side wall

sorry for the ramble, I had to get it out of my head, any input is welcome good or bad
ibbowhunting
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets