On Demand Water Heater Questions

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

On Demand Water Heater Questions

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:42 am

I've been considering buying an on demand water heater like the Camp Chef Triton or Eccotemp 5l. After almost pushing the button I realized I needed to work out a few things first.
How do you use it? Dish washing showers etc.
how much space does it take up with hoses etc?
Where do you set it up?
How much trouble is it to set up?
Although I really want one, I'm not sure I need one, or that I'll actually,use it once I get it.
Thanks
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: On Demand Water Heater Questions

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:52 pm

I was seriously thinking of getting one for my upcoming 6 X 12 build, but I have decided against it. Even though the thought of long hot showers is inviting, I just ran into too many problems. The biggest being the freeze factor. From what I read these things freeze and break if you look at them wrong. The vented ones have to be fitted with backdraft preventers to keep them from freezing. I live in Utah and it would be worthless to me if I have to drain the water heater every time I leave the trailer without heat on. I have decided the pilot light 6 gal model with some mods to heat extra water are the best for my needs.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby H.A. » Fri May 06, 2016 10:59 pm

I at.
Last edited by H.A. on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:18 am

I have the Triton 5L, actually this is the second one I've owned, and love it. The original I permanently mounted on the back of my slide-in, pop-up truck camper. This one rides in a compartment, then gets attached to the galley when I pull it out. I absolutely love this thing! Some mods that make them even better-

Replace the "D" cell batteries with those fake D size battery holders. I then put a $3 pwm inside it to drop the voltage down from 12v to 3.3. Added in an inline switch, actually an older model car headlight dimmer switch, that operates the water pump. The wiring then goes from a 12v powerport, through a standard extension cord, with foot switch about 1/2 way down the line. This allowed me to run a single water line to my external shower head, preset the water temp, and then when ready for the shower, hit the switch - 10 seconds later water comes out at proper temp- turn off switch to save water - lather up - switch on- rinse and done. Water for galley sink is controlled by faucet, but footswitch allows me to easily fully turn off the entire system if I want.

I'm now doing the final construction of the "heat using water heater" build, using the same Triton, but having a split water system. One goes to sink/shower, the other goes to cabin heater. Inside thermostat activates a second pump. Hi-Low temp sensor controls when the burner activates (using the same D cell mod). Thermostat tells pump to activate, through a digital relay I had, thus pushing water from a non-pressurized holding tank, through the heater and heater core back to holding tank. Temp sensor, if water temp is below 110 degrees F activates the Triton burner. As water recirculates, it rises in temp at a rate of about 15 degrees every 10 seconds. At 160 degrees F, the hi limit shuts off the Triton, water continues to circulate. If cabin temp gets to desired level, then the pump shuts down by way of thermostat, if not and if heater water drops below 110, low sensor ignites burner. Oh and heater core fan (actual automotive aluminum car heater core) is just a 200mm computer fan which is also controlled by the thermostat.

So for $130 for the water heater, $15 for the new aluminum heater core, $5 for the hi-low temp sensor, $0 for the old 12v water pump I had, $10 for dimmer switch, $0 for digital thermostat and old computer case fan, plus some plumbing stuff I have, ($160 total), I have hot water for dishes, showers and cabin heat.

Setup time is really fast. I use all brass quick connections and reinforced hose. The electrical connections are all plug in to the camper. I doubt I spend 5 minutes total time.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:27 am

I just discovered this water heater. I may have to eat crow. This looks like the unit to have. It looks like you would have to use an inverter or some source of AC, but 40W shouldn't be too big a deal.

https://www.aquahstore.com/catalog/prod ... bueangl8i4
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:37 am

My Triton cost $130 and uses 2 "D" cell batteries for the igniter. 8 seconds for the water at the sink to go from ground temp to heated. We have used it with an outdoor shower in 40 degree F temps, no problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-HWD5-Triton-Heater/dp/B001J4AU2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463755019&sr=8-1&keywords=triton+5l

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri May 20, 2016 8:23 pm

I like my Triton!
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Socal Tom wrote:I've been considering buying an on demand water heater like the Camp Chef Triton or Eccotemp 5l. After almost pushing the button I realized I needed to work out a few things first.
How do you use it? Dish washing showers etc.
how much space does it take up with hoses etc?
Where do you set it up?
How much trouble is it to set up?
Although I really want one, I'm not sure I need one, or that I'll actually,use it once I get it.
Thanks
Tom

I'm planning on one as well. While boondocking, I'll use it for showers and washing dishes when needed and around the house I'll use as a outside hot water source. I plan on mounting mounting mine two different ways. One will be mounting it to a short thin section of unistrut just above my city/gravity water connection. I'm modding/hacking a outside shower box to act as the inlet/outlet water hook-up for it. I'm also going to use a hand truck/dolly as a portable/movable version of it. Once I'm finished with my install I'll post a couple of pics.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets