Difference between DO Brands?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: Difference between DO Brands?

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:54 am

Go Patti Go !

I picked up a big bar of 100% bees wax and started using it on mine two years ago. It never goes rancid, is so easy to apply just warm to liquid and mop it ALL over inside and out. I leave it a bit heavy when storing and warm and mop it with a paper towel just before cooking. Eggs will slide around like a skater on ice. You will be impressed.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ae6black » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Am I correct in reading your latest post Bob that you're not always seasoning the ci with beeswax but just coating it with it for storage and then wiping off the residual excess when you use it?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:17 am

ae6black wrote:Am I correct in reading your latest post Bob that you're not always seasoning the ci with beeswax
but just coating it with it for storage and then wiping off the residual excess when you use it?

Art

Until I found the bee's wax treatment ( thanks Gerry) I simple cooked lots of bacon
and pork and coated after cleanup with shortning or vegetable oil.
I have close to 200 pieces of cast iron and have never "baked" a single one of them.
( if you don't count the one I threw into a bonfire)
Seasoning happens with use and the more you use them the better they get.
So if you are asking have I baked my cast iron, no I have not. I stove top seasoned each and every one.
After sanding wire brushing or simply scrubbing the hell out of an unloved piece I place it on the stove
and get it as near white hot as the stove will allow. Then with the fire off, apply the wax to the inside.
The excess inside is then wiped over the outside and handle. That's it , just heat and coat.
They are now seasoned and cook like a dream.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ae6black » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:00 pm

No taste or smell of the wax?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:22 am

none what so ever !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GerryS » Fri May 01, 2015 5:22 am

You're welcome Bob. I got it from the camp-inn forum. Pass it along!

We do new and old alike....fresh iron, or re-season. Season just like you would with oil. Between reseasoning, when we wash and dry, we keep a block of wax in the drawer....when it's hot after drying the water with heat,, give it a quick coat and wipe it down. No stress...easy. Let it smoke for a minute, turn I off the flame and let it cool.

Just use 100% beeswax, preferably from a beekeeper at your local farmers market. 1 lb will last about a year...NO SOY OR PARAFFIN.

No sticky, nasty buildup. No taste change in the food. Just a delightful hint of honey when the wax first hits the pan. Yum. It's all good.

Now, when we camp it's not uncommon to give a show and tell of our camper. Camp-inn 560. Two summers ago a woman said how much she hated cast iron. Everything sticks she said.

My wife pulled out the griddle, heated it well, dropped a pat of butter and then an egg. When it came time to flip the egg, she literally had to chase it with the spatula. Slicker then Teflon. Safer too. The person who hated cast irons jaw dropped and she said "I must be doing it all wrong". Another convert from DuPont poisoning.

As the Ol' mad told me as a kid. Try it, you'll like it.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ae6black » Fri May 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Hey thanks, I have some new to me stuff that I haven't treated with bees wax because I didn't want to smoke up the house before I had the family out of here and I could season in the oven. This is a game changer! Thanks!

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cast Iron